Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,687,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast Cold View Post
If I got offered management at my joint (a department store) I wouldn't take it. Dealing with customers and stuff, too much stress. I make decent wage as it is, the only problem is the hours are not guaranteed... i.e. some days I may work only 3-4 hours, while others it's a 10-12 hour slog. Over this Christmas period though I was guaranteed full time hours since October but now that's over so it's uncertain. My bank account was growing like mould in a tropical climate despite my exhorbitant spending on beer and other self pleasures and ofcourse bills lol!

I don't hate the job, but it's just a menial job and I know I can do better for myself. But anything is better than being unemployed, being unemployed is something that is unacceptable to me.

If I was offered a permanent full time contract on my current wages, I'd have no problem moving out and living a fairly decent life on my own while renting a house with a backyard.
Why don't you move it to Brisbane brah. If it is obvious climate is a big factor for you.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,478,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
When I meant south, its mostly Dallas, Atlanta, or Central Florida coast. Dallas is my preferred destination, because there are plenty of jobs in my line of interest there (Lockheed Martin, American Airlines, Sikorsky, Schneider Electric, and many more).

Central Florida on the other hand is a bit tough economy wise and does not have as much diversity as Dallas, but oh my those beautiful palms and turquoise waters are gorgeous. The landscape is so lively and picture perfect . If I get a job with CSX or FECI as an engineer, that's most probably where I will end up. But the pay is not as good as Dallas or Atlanta.
Not sure about the humidity of Dallas, but if you think it's hot in Florida...

I'll refrain from giving you my heavily biased opinion of which area you should choose

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,924,599 times
So... Tired...

Yesterday I didn't get up to 12:30.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,682,502 times
Boke at this endlessly wet and windy non-winter.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,631,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Boke at this endlessly wet and windy non-winter.
Perhaps you'd prefer Chicago?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,682,502 times
Certainly wouldn't mind having a bit of that if it was only a week or so every 10-20 years!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,924,599 times
Counting down the days to we get to south florida.

Can't be bothered with school anymore. At this rate I just take it day by day because thats all the energy i've got.

I can't take these 7am starts anymore. Theres only so many years you can take of doing pointless hw and being controlled and I am at my limit. I have never hated school so much.

I will revise for my exams but I don't know how i'm going to do it. I keep thinking about all the exams I have and saying. "How the hell am I going to get that done" its scary the amount of work we have for june.

I know I will get through it though. I always do. I'm just gonna have to exhaust myself to hell to do so.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,701,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
My job is seasonal, but during winter and summer I am guaranteed 40 hours a week. I'm even getting some overtime. The department has high turnover and chronic staffing shortages, so I work insane hours from time-to-time. Off-season would be less, but there would be work at least a couple days a week. Managerial pays a few dollars higher, but even then it would be tough living on those earnings. I live in an area with a high COL. If I lived in Mississippi I would probably be able to survive on my wages.

Unemployment is unacceptable to me as well. I will work no matter what, even if I'm overqualified for it.
Before I graduated with my degree in 2009 it was just when the economy recession hit, and despite applying for hundreds of jobs including places like McDonalds, Morrisons (a supermarket) I got offered nothing. So by default when leaving uni I was technically "unemployed" - whether I found it unacceptable or whatever. It had nothing to do with not wanting to work or laziness, like some idiots like to generalise, because I was doing everything. I can tell you I did everything I could to get out of the situation. I did volunteer work (without pay - obviously) finally got a paid position in late 2010. So you just don't know when it could happen to you, anyone should be lucky if they get any job, even if it is menial, like I do.

On thing I was not prepared for or informed of when getting my degree, was how little employers actually give a crap about having a degree. We were all deluded into believing it was the magic "ticket" to a good paying job. How totally wrong...

Last edited by MeteoMan; 01-07-2014 at 06:50 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,258,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Before I graduated with my degree in 2009 it was just when the economy recession hit, and despite applying for hundreds of jobs including places like McDonalds, Morrisons (a supermarket) I got offered nothing. So by default when leaving uni I was technically "unemployed" - whether I found it unacceptable or whatever. It had nothing to do with not wanting to work or laziness, like some idiots like to generalise, because I was doing everything. I can tell you I did everything I could to get out of the situation. I did volunteer work (without pay - obviously) finally got a paid position in late 2010. So you just don't know when it could happen to you, anyone should be lucky if they get any job, even if it is menial, like I do.

On thing I was not prepared for or informed of when getting my degree, was how little employers actually give a crap about having a degree. We were all deluded into believing it was the magic "ticket" to a good paying job. How totally wrong...
I said unemployment is unacceptable to me, I wasn't generalizing about others (though I do hold a disdain for those who abuse the welfare system or take advantage of their families). Some people, including a few close relatives of mine, don't seem to mind sitting at home eating bon bons all day. I couldn't do that.

Agreed about the last point.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,701,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I said unemployment is unacceptable to me, I wasn't generalizing about others (though I do hold a disdain for those who abuse the welfare system or take advantage of their families). Some people, including a few close relatives of mine, don't seem to mind sitting at home eating bon bons all day. I couldn't do that.

Agreed about the last point.
Me too - just saying that sometimes one can be in a situation they find unacceptable despite their best efforts, at least for a time. But that will change, as long as one makes the effort.

The thing really being that as people we tend to be very protective of what we have got and achieved, and often tend to look down on those who haven't got to where we are - something that when I was unemployed, I noticed a lot. Even people who didn't particularly like their menial jobs, and had a worse work ethic than me, would look down on me for not having a job just after I graduated from uni. But I was far more intelligent than them and worked my arse off for a good degree that they never got - and will go further in life than they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.