Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times

Advertisements

true! i dont get why he wants to live in Florida tho... totally not what he is looking for weather wise.
But let's give him a break, I keep forgeting that he's autistic.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
excuse me? being British is just like being any other nationality. I could apply for British passport tomorrow if i wanted to... I quiet frankly don't give a ****, you know why? becuase It doesn't entitle me to anything special.

wake up, you are not from an empire and will not get special treatment because you are British anywhere. Btw Polish- American community is large, i have nothing to worry about.
If you don't care what are you cursing for?

I know I would fit in extremely well. Americans share the same religious views as us (we have links here), same language and same food. Would not take long to adjust and would definately take longer for a jew etc to adjust.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
true! i dont get why he wants to live in Florida tho... totally not what he is looking for weather wise.
But let's give him a break, I keep forgeting that he's autistic.
No no its asbergers! Can't stand being called autistic it doesn't define me. If you seen me you'd just think I was reserved.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
excuse me? being British is just like being any other nationality. I could apply for British passport tomorrow if i wanted to... becuase It doesn't entitle me to anything special.

wake up, you are not from an empire and will not get special treatment because you are British anywhere. Btw Polish- American community is large, i have nothing to worry about.
Well, British people would fit a bit better cause they're native English speakers. They'd still be thought of as foreigners, and don't get much less stereotypes than other Western European countries.

Most Polish-Americans have been here for generations, though there are some recent ones (both NYC and Chicago have a big community, yum perogis). Western Massachusetts has a sizeable Polish community, I think one radio station used (still does?) to play Polish music and there was a Polish food place near me. Also a "Polish National Catholic Church". But the only people with any Polishness to them are probably elderly. For whatever, most of the farms here are owned by people with Polish last names. I would look up what % of people in county report Polish ancestry, but the census site is down.

But otherwise, Poland has a positive image, if people think of it at all.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

I know I would fit in extremely well. Americans share the same religious views as us (we have links here), same language and same food. Would not take long to adjust and would definately take longer for a jew etc to adjust.
They share the same religious views in places like; Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, rural Texas and West Virginia... people in more civilised places like south west Florida, southern California, NYC, Chicago or San Francisco bay area have views completely different to yours.

Language is similar but not exactly the same because of accent and differences in spelling (which you have huge problems with)
Your accent would stick out immidiately, just like French one, or Polish or Japanese... So you don't really have an advantage in that field at all.

Food is not the same.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

Why would a Jew feel out of place? There were more Jews than Protestants in my hometown. I remember riding on a train back home and I overheard a middle age woman who said she was half-Jewish* mentioned meeting someone English, which from the sound of what she said thought he was rather foreign. But all her image of English was silly stereotypes "tea drinkers, etc."

*Somewhat drunk and loud, with a solid NY accent. Not the classiest of people but entertaining to listen to.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
apparently now you can't get a parking ticket in America as long as governemnt is shut... park wherever you like with no fines lol
That's false. Parking tickets are given by local authorities, which aren't affected by the shutdown.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Lol, owen, I hate to break it to you but ALL British, including the Irish, are considered foreign here. The only people that aren't considered true foreigners in the US are Canadians, specifically white Canadians that were born and bred up there. I sound as American as any one you see on the TV, yet in England I was constantly reminded of my Americaness. You won't fit in here as you claim you would. That's the one thing you haven't learn and will not learn unless you live here for a time, and not just a few weeks on vacation. You need a few months

Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But otherwise, Poland has a positive image, if people think of it at all.

Maybe not.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
They share the same religious views in places like; Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, rural Texas and West Virginia... people in more civilised places like south west Florida, southern California, NYC, Chicago or San Francisco bay area have views completely different to yours.

Language is similar but not exactly the same because of accent and differences in spelling (which you have huge problems with)
Your accent would stick out immidiately, just like French one, or Polish or Japanese... So you don't really have an advantage in that field at all.

Food is not the same.
Florida religion:
Protestant, 40%
Baptist, 9%
Methodist, 6%
Pentecostal, 3%
Roman Catholic, 26%
Jewish, 3%
other religions, 3%
non-religious, 16%

They would still find it easier to understand my accent than yours, i'm pretty sure it would be the same as someone from the UK talking to someone from Australia, we recognise that the accent is Australian and we go from there were as I struggle terribly with European accents, the only ones I can identify are the French and the Spanish accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather