Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,058,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyChicken View Post
I'll keep sending out resumes, but reading the job ads, I just don't bother because I KNOW I won't even be considered

At 26 years of age, an unpaid internship is to me is equivalent to living under a bridge. It is not acceptable and I won't even consider such horse ****. I'll just send out my resumes, who knows someone might just reply. What pisses me off the most is that companies won't even reply to you and just leave you hanging wondering. God, even if I am rejected, at least ****ing inform me so I won't be left in the lurch for **** sake, it's literally no more than a minute of their goddamn time

What's even worse, some job ads explicitly state that "only successful applicants will be contacted"..... so we are supposed to be left hanging for **** knows how long without actually knowing if my application was successful?

Thousands!!! It's absolute bull****. I'm really sick of it. I don't even bother to send my resume to 99% of the job ads I look up, as I KNOW I won't even be considered, as I don't have 5 years of experience, exceptional skills with proven work history in the field, a full medical and physical exam etc for a ****ING GRADUATE POSITION WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR AND OFTEN IS EVEN ADVERTISED AS SUCH. Yeah, they say "kick start your career", get your "foot in the door", then proceed to list the half decade experience you are supposed to have, along with full medicals and everything, exceptional skills in this and that, full proven work history blah blah ****en blah Goddamn horses ass bull**** crap ****
In my state, the position for nurses is the same exact way. Especially in my area, no experience? Too bad. Almost nowhere is hiring except in Northeast PA, and God forbid I go back up there. I don't want to have to move out of state only to have to get re-licensed again, especially to the South

Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,781,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If Australia is anything like in Britain, calling an interviewer back about the status is your résumé/CV is frowned upon. So, he probably has no choice but to wait. Here in the US, just like in France it sounds like from your post, you're expected to call back. Otherwise, you're not interested
Ah ok, didn't think much about cultural differences. Waiting can be really frustrating if you really want that particular job and are confident about your skills re the offer.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,734,045 times
Max today was below 10C. My hands were freezing, and I wore my large coat. It was also drizzling. Boke.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
No, Apparently the manager thought I was unfit for doing an Internship there . Dunno why he took such a course of action after asking so much info from me. I will be moving to Atlanta permanently for grad school from August onwards.
Cool congratulations. I would prefer Michigan too, but Atlanta is nice from what I've heard. Just would hate the heat and humidity. I'm actually moving down to your neck of the woods. Somewhere in Central New Jersey later this year. I live in the northern part of the state. Don't want to leave, but I can't be picky in this terrible job market, especially since we now have thousands of May graduates entering. The economy in this state is simply awful and our esteemed governor unsurprisingly overestimated revenues in the budget and now has to make significant cuts. So much for being a prudent fiscal conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan
I have the same identical problem. Good degree, did thousands of job applications for everything I wanted to do, got nowhere. All the same reasons. "Not enough experience". "Too overqualified" (not possible in my mind). Now I make minimum wage in a restaurant. Trying to find a way out of it is very hard. Very very hard.
My issue was lack of experience also, even for so called entry-level jobs. Finding a job is an extremely frustrating process. I was incredibly depressed because I started looking for internships and entry-level work over a year ago and had no luck. I knew I had to get an internship, but was unable to before graduating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyChicken
I'll keep sending out resumes, but reading the job ads, I just don't bother because I KNOW I won't even be considered

At 26 years of age, an unpaid internship is to me is equivalent to living under a bridge. It is not acceptable and I won't even consider such horse ****. I'll just send out my resumes, who knows someone might just reply. What pisses me off the most is that companies won't even reply to you and just leave you hanging wondering. God, even if I am rejected, at least ****ing inform me so I won't be left in the lurch for **** sake, it's literally no more than a minute of their goddamn time

What's even worse, some job ads explicitly state that "only successful applicants will be contacted"..... so we are supposed to be left hanging for **** knows how long without actually knowing if my application was successful?
I agree. I swept floors, cleaned bathrooms, and garbage (in the frigid winter weather and the searing heat of summer). It was an awful job, but at least it gave me a paycheck. I refused to do an unpaid internship.

A lot of these companies are overwhelmed with resumes and are understaffed, but I also think many employers look down their noses at the unemployed, underemployed, and those lacking experience. Who knows what's going through their minds.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:51 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,716,755 times
Good grief....having a bath in my 200 year old apartment is a near death experience.

Costs about £1 just to run the immersion heater for an hour, then about 70-80 liters of lukewarm water dribbles out of the tap, barely enough to get you wet, and feeling freezing cold, not helped by the 50°F temperature in the bathroom. The water only fills 1/3 of the bath, so I am unable to wash myself properly unless I scoop up the water in my hands and splash it over myself. Not only that but the cranky old immersion heaters are unreliable and dodgy, for example my neighbor's just blew up this weekend gone.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:03 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,478,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If he's sitting in the pool or air conditioning maybe not. Even in baking heat, he might not get tired of it since it's just a vacation.
I remember how glad I was to return from Greece because I escaped from heat and saw the green grass (that's why I don't like summer drought - grass becomes brown and scorched).

Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,770,523 times
Its too hot my cat does not like it

Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,058,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Good grief....having a bath in my 200 year old apartment is a near death experience.

Costs about £1 just to run the immersion heater for an hour, then about 70-80 liters of lukewarm water dribbles out of the tap, barely enough to get you wet, and feeling freezing cold, not helped by the 50°F temperature in the bathroom. The water only fills 1/3 of the bath, so I am unable to wash myself properly unless I scoop up the water in my hands and splash it over myself. Not only that but the cranky old immersion heaters are unreliable and dodgy, for example my neighbor's just blew up this weekend gone.
Lol, and I complain about my 40 year old terrace. Perspective huh

Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,512,493 times
Off to a great start.

Large SunRail turnout causes some trains to run late | Local News - WESH Home

Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,290,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
As a rail transit freak, I actually started a thread about this in the Florida forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.