Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well they aren't really the white that we are but anyway.
Except you're in northern Ireland not the US. At least where I grew up (don't know the ethnicity of where unbrainwashed lives) a third of the population was of Italian descent and maybe 15-20% Jewish. Someone of Spanish descent (as from Spain) wouldn't stand out at all.

And of more world cup comments, someone from high school who's of Italian descent (his dad was born in Sicily, mother's side further back) posted a photo of his family all wearing Italy jersies/shirts including a one year old baby.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
But then Oaklanders wouldn't be able to brag that their city is 1/4 White 1/4 "Hispanic" 1/4 Black 1/4 Asian on Internet forums.
"Hispanic" should be ditched, then "Hispanics" would have the choice between Native American, mixed races and White.
LOL. I think a hispanic choice makes a lot of sense, since most hispanics are recent immigrants and tend to have some demographics in common, including where they live. Of course some don't, but it's a meaningful cultural difference most of the time. As for the census, it has two separate questions: a race question (check all that apply) and a hispanic/not hispanic question.

Hispanics can also be black, though most black hispanics are perhaps mixed race. A NYC forum poster (of Dominican origin) had a DNA test to prove he was of mixed descent. Hispanics from Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic tend to be white/black or some mix in between with the Dominican Republic having a higher African % while most of continental Latin America seems to be white/native mixed.

A car parked on my street has a small Dominican flag decal on the back, driver looks to be of at least majority African descent.

Last edited by nei; 06-17-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,911,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except you're in northern Ireland not the US. At least where I grew up (don't know the ethnicity of where unbrainwashed lives) a third of the population was of Italian descent and maybe 15-20% Jewish. Someone of Spanish descent (as from Spain) wouldn't stand out at all.

And of more world cup comments, someone from high school who's of Italian descent (his dad was born in Sicily, mother's side further back) posted a photo of his family all wearing Italy jersies/shirts including a one year old baby.
That really irks me because here we have these people pretending to be Italian yet they have probably never lived in Italy and basically live an American lifestyle!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
That really irks me because here we have these people pretending to be Italian yet they have probably never lived in Italy and basically live an American lifestyle!
It doesn't irk any Americans here.

He can speak Italian, he's visited Italy many times. Yes, he lives an American lifestyle, and is American but he has some Italian culture. I'm sure chicagogeorge would similar about Greece (he was actually born in Greece).

Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,747,293 times
I can see the same here. Oftentimes at school a French-born dude would say "I'm Portuguese", "I'm Algerian", "I'm Tunisian", "I'm Senegalese". Lots of cars have a Portuguese flag sticker on the license plate.

Quote:
LOL. I think a hispanic choice makes a lot of sense, since most hispanics are recent immigrants and tend to have some demographics in common, including where they live. Of course some don't, but it's a meaningful cultural difference most of the time. As for the census, it has two separate questions: a race question (check all that apply) and a hispanic/not hispanic question.
Didn't know that, makes sense then. Though outside of official websites, hispanic is often refered to as a "race", alongside Black, Native, White, etc. For example on City-Data's homepage. Kinda misleading.

Quote:
Hispanics can also be black, though most black hispanics are perhaps mixed race.
Are there Hispanic celebs that can pass for an African American?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It doesn't irk any Americans here.

He can speak Italian, he's visited Italy many times. Yes, he lives an American lifestyle, and is American but he has some Italian culture. I'm sure chicagogeorge would similar about Greece (he was actually born in Greece).
Yea so he should be waving the American flag duh.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Yea so he should be waving the American flag duh.
No, he should wave whatever he feels like. Or maybe both. Italian team is the better team anyway.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I can see the same here. Oftentimes at school a French-born dude would say "I'm Portuguese", "I'm Algerian", "I'm Tunisian", "I'm Senegalese". Lots of cars have a Portuguese flag sticker on the license plate.

Didn't know that, makes sense then. Though outside of official websites, hispanic is often refered to as a "race", alongside Black, Native, White, etc. For example on City-Data's homepage. Kinda misleading.

They don't do that here.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Can't think of any must be some, black hispanics are mainly in the NYC area. Also New England but the hispanic % is smaller.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
No, he should wave whatever he feels like. Or maybe both. Italian team is the better team anyway.
obviously he should be waving the flag of the country he was born in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather