Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times

Advertisements

When I wasn't even a year old yet and I lived in New Jersey we flew out to visit our relatives in Logan, Utah over Christmas. It was near -30 degrees in the morning and there were a couple of days that never reached above 0. The pre-Christmas cold snap of December 1990 was still one of the coldest that Utah has ever experienced.

I lived in Kalispell, Montana during the winter of 94-95 and it gets pretty cold there. I have no idea how cold it got there that winter though and I would be too young to remember.

The coldest that I know of for sure was -12 degrees one morning in February 1996, although I was too young to remember that either. Since then the lowest was -5 in January of 2002 and again in February of 2004 but since they were pretty calm mornings they didn't seem too cold. Since I visit Logan quite a bit I may have experienced something colder around that time but I can't be sure.

We get a lot of snow here but extreme cold is rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
9 degrees. And I have absolutely no interest in feeling anything colder than that. I hate cold weather. I'd take 100 degrees over 25 degrees ANYTIME. Of course, I'd prefer anything from 50-80.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Our all-time record low officially is -21° set on January 21, 1985. I think it dropped to -15° at my house, so thats the coldest I have ever been in. I was only 9, so I do not remember it much, but I remember everyone buzzing about it. It has not been nowhere near that cold here since.

This was the same year it dropped below 0° in parts of northern Florida.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times
My coldest morning was two days after a blizzard buried New York's mid-Hudson Valley in January of 1961. I was eleven at the time.
I had a paper route and was delivering the Sunday morning edition. It was an hour or two before sunrise and the night sky was cloudless, with no wind and the air so dry you could hear yourself squeak when you walked. Although I knew it was cold, I didn't feel too chilled.
I was next to a quarter mile section of wooded area towards the end of my route when I "felt the need". Stepped about 25 or so feet off the road and into a spot that was uncovered by the snow. There I unzipped and let fly. The widdle stream froze before it hit the ground! Never before or since have I seen anything like it.
How cold does it have to be for something like that to happen? The official low temperature at the county airport was -33, but I have to believe that what I experienced would require a temperature much lower; -40?, -45?, worse?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
I hate to even admit this....since most reasonable people would question anyone's sanity for staying around.....but about -40 below zero for me. Wind chill is another matter...probably -60 below for wind chill.

Just to show you how frozen our brains have become....even at -40 below with wind they rarely close the schools. And then you have areas of the country where they get a half inch of snow and it shuts everything down for a few days. Some people have all the luck :-)

Old 12-29-2008, 04:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What was the coldest actual temperature you have ever experienced (without including the wind chill)?

I believe the coldest air temperature I have ever experienced would have to be on an ice fishing trip to Crow Wing County Minnesota in the Brainerd Lakes region. The air temp during sunrise was probably around -34F in January one year.
The lowest temperature I have experienced is around -30 degrees. Boy was it cold that day!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I hate to even admit this....since most reasonable people would question anyone's sanity for staying around.....but about -40 below zero for me. Wind chill is another matter...probably -60 below for wind chill.

Just to show you how frozen our brains have become....even at -40 below with wind they rarely close the schools. And then you have areas of the country where they get a half inch of snow and it shuts everything down for a few days. Some people have all the luck :-)
The coldest I have experienced was -34F in the Brainerd Lakes region of MN in January. It was an ice fishing trip....

Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
I used to ride my motorcycle in sub-zero weather. I knew it was getting cold in my gauntlets (no hippo hands and a partial faring) when the fingers below first knuckle couldn't be felt, colder still below second knuckle, pretty darn cold with full fingers and thumb absent of feeling. I figured I started out w/o speed at about 10 or so, although there were times in MN when I'm sure it was plenty colder. With speed, I figure it was about 20 to 40 below.

One or two years ago with my wife we were in Chicago during a cold snap. It was blistering cold - about 10 or so below, but the wind put it at 30 below. We took our kid out in a stroller all bundled up. He liked it, but not the wind in his face.

I've camped when it was below zero, had water and 'nose drizzle' freeze in my mustache and beard, and I met persons on hikes sleeping on the open ground in sleeping bags at 20 below. We were out to climb frozen waterfalls in upstate NY on the hike and found a few waterfalls that were pretty solid. That's a dangerous game. I've been ice fishing out on Hopatcong NJ and in the city lakes of Minneapolis and the ice was about 12-24 inches thick in both places, respectively.

I used to work outdoors when I was younger and in an accident I fell unconscious in the snow. It could not have been more than -10 degrees, but that was pretty cold. I recall coming to and having my fingers and hands start tingling from thawing out. I may have been out for 20 minutes or so.

Younger still, we were in the Boy Scouts in Northwestern NJ and we were told it was 20 below. With moisture in the air (like in MN) it always felt colder, but w/o moisture, it was really pretty tolerable. About 32 is brisk, about zero is getting interesting, and 10 and 20 below is wake-up weather. Yeah, being in Southern TX, I miss cold. And by the way, no, my pee has never frozen and I never stuck my tongue to cold metal.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Yeah, I don't get when somebody says they took a leak outside and it froze before it hit the ground. I used to work outside and can tell you that at -45 actual and a windchill around -80 it doesn't freeze before it hits the ground. If it does for you, you must be 15' tall; because for this 6'2" guy it sure doesn't.

Boiling water tossed into the air and turning to steam and frozen droplet I have seen many times, but it has to be quite nippy for it to work right. Somewhere around -20F, the colder the better. -40 makes a great show when you do it.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,604 times
15 below. My seats in the car were frozen, so I looks 4 inches taller when I drive it. I am not kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather