Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: : Which of those will register the Southern Hemisphere coldest temperature this winter?
Balmaceda (Chile) 8 36.36%
Maquinchao (Argentina) 5 22.73%
Charlote Pass (Australia) 6 27.27%
Ranfurly (New Zealand) 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,450,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
European showing snow for Santiago next saturday, the lower parts of the city is uncertain but the elevated probably will get some, this cold air mass will freeze up everything
Santiago looking to break its all time record low... wtf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,450,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Temperature anomaly map, the cold air mass will reach the Equator line according to Gfs :

Forecast for Porto Velho, in the middle of Amazon forest :
All time record cold here too... just how accurate are these forecasts.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,023,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
All time record cold here too... just how accurate are these forecasts.
A bit accurate but I doubt Porto Velho will break it all time record low of 7.4C, lets see what will happen trough.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Gfs 18z minimum temperature forecast, poor South Cone, freezing temperatures crossing the Capricorn line, nice, what is the lowest temperature that coconut trees survive?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM

2,959 posts, read 2,951,318 times
And here all after a max of 25ºC today (new daily record). Nasty swing ahead The European is even showing a chance of some flakes aroud BA on Sunday's morning
Also will be interesting to see a video from Iguazu Falls on next tuesday. Just imagine seeing ice there!

---

Today it started the massive snowfall in Bariloche area.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

Also will be interesting to see a video from Iguazu Falls on next tuesday. Just imagine seeing ice there!
Like the Niagaras Falls

Models keep showing an significant snowfall for Santiago next Saturday/Sunday.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:48 AM

83,723 posts, read 76,246,711 times
Think of a flower pedal.

There are spikes around the deepest coldest core. These spikes rotate around the hemisphere.

Sometimes the pedal isn't the best looking one, sometimes 1 pedal is a long extended one. But this is a good way to understand how there are breaks from a cold snap and then one can come right back in as the next pedal rotates in. Same goes for Northern Hem.

There's 1 flower pedal that stood out to me for this week.. South America. Freezing line at 5000' goes to -20°S.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:16 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,367,647 times
Very nice to have a break - unfortunately too briefly - from the usual ugly and vapid icy windy westerly weather

Nights/early mornings have been very cold and probably the coldest July since moving up here 16 years ago from Melbourne.

Very happy that around 45mm fell and nice to see lawns greening up once again. Very glad to see that some idiotic members wishing for awful sunshine and dry weather got the total opposite . Serves them right!

Had an beautiful dream that my area got pounded by stationary thunderstorms with over 1000mm falling within the space of four hours and I was outside - in extreme joy - watching huge flash floods roar down Bondi Road

Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,400,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
There's 1 flower pedal that stood out to me for this week.. South America. Freezing line at 5000' goes to -20°S.
Wtf! That's almost up to the Peru-Chile border

Forecast is projecting 9C and then 10C highs this week in Valparaiso! This is crazy, when I lived there it never dropped below 12C. Also near freezing lows. However I remember one time it was projecting a low of like 4C for us and then it still ended up being the typical 7C

Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM

83,723 posts, read 76,246,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
And here all after a max of 25ºC today (new daily record). Nasty swing ahead The European is even showing a chance of some flakes aroud BA on Sunday's morning

---

Today it started the massive snowfall in Bariloche area.

Awesome snow pics! Got me in the mood. Wish I knew more about areas there to understand the expression of BA seeing flakes. Don't even know where BA is without looking at a map. LMAO. . Whats the latest Euro showing now? Still showing snow there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Wtf! That's almost up to the Peru-Chile border

Forecast is projecting 9C and then 10C highs this week in Valparaiso! This is crazy, when I lived there it never dropped below 12C. Also near freezing lows. However I remember one time it was projecting a low of like 4C for us and then it still ended up being the typical 7C

Strange seeing your name here and not in the Summer thread. lol. Yeah, an interesting push north there with the airmass. I'd love to read some news about it. Any tweets from meteos there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather