Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,002,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Yep. Both models show warmth that is coming but the GFS has the warmth coming later.

Bastardi talks out of his a... May of 77 here was above avg by 1.9F and had 90F days and many 80F days. And May of 76 was only 1.2F below avg and had a coldest day of 58/39F on May 4th.

He looks for any grain of data to show the climate is returning to the 70's and 80's blah blah after a winter that was far warmer than anything in the 70's or 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,380,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Bastardi talks out of his a... May of 77 here was above avg by 1.9F and had 90F days and many 80F days. And May of 76 was only 1.2F below avg and had a coldest day of 58/39F on May 4th.

He looks for any grain of data to show the climate is returning to the 70's and 80's blah blah after a winter that was far warmer than anything in the 70's or 80's.
For real. Nothing in the cold epoch of the late 70s-early 80s was similar to this past winter. The past two winters have been very mild with even a couple 70 degree days in both December and February

Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For real. Nothing in the cold epoch of the late 70s-early 80s was similar to this past winter. The past two winters have been very mild with even a couple 70 degree days in both December and February

Bastardi can't and won't acknowledge that ever. He even glosses over his blown winter forecast of cold and snow as usual and said March made up for it all. Yeah right. One month of March with an anomaly of -1.5F will never make up for his useless and ludicrous biases, and why he needs to be ignored. But certain cold lovers on here idolize him. I found far better meteos on twitter to follow that mock Bastardi for his bias.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,728,809 times
Continued well below average here

Forecast high is 27.2°C (norm 33.3°C)

Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,418,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Bastardi can't and won't acknowledge that ever. He even glosses over his blown winter forecast of cold and snow as usual and said March made up for it all. Yeah right. One month of March with an anomaly of -1.5F will never make up for his useless and ludicrous biases, and why he needs to be ignored. But certain cold lovers on here idolize him. I found far better meteos on twitter to follow that mock Bastardi for his bias.
I certainly don't. He's way overzealous with cold outputs and takes them as absolute truth when it comes to winter.

86 F with a 53 F dew point right now, dry heat. It's brilliantly sunny and bright outside right now. Low tonight is 65 F predicted (had a 65 F low this morning as well).

Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,439,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I certainly don't. He's way overzealous with cold outputs and takes them as absolute truth when it comes to winter.

86 F with a 53 F dew point right now, dry heat. It's brilliantly sunny and bright outside right now. Low tonight is 65 F predicted (had a 65 F low this morning as well).
I noticed he likes to forecast hot summers though. Don't know why everyone is mad, he makes his money off natural gas so it only makes sense that he would hype the winter as cold to dupe people, or he is insanely in love with cold winters, something he didn't get this year...

Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,794,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

79F here right now. I wish it could just stay like this the next two weeks

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,418,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I noticed he likes to forecast hot summers though. Don't know why everyone is mad, he makes his money off natural gas so it only makes sense that he would hype the winter as cold to dupe people, or he is insanely in love with cold winters, something he didn't get this year...
Why shouldn't people get upset by a long-range forecaster purposely giving out biased or false forecasts to dupe them? Long-range forecasts shouldn't be biased especially if they're tied to an industry like natural gas.

Let's be real though. Anyone who's dumb enough to put that much stock into long range forecasts probably deserves to get duped anyways....

Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post

If you follow the money it is actually both. He is a cold and snow lover for sure, but also makes his money off of forecasts for gas and energy stocks. The colder the forecast the more the value goes up. I just hope at some point (he has made numerous blown forecasts over the years) they walk away from him. Accu-W fired him for a reason.

And he may predict hot summers from time to time, but he loves when a cold summer hits cause it goes back to his theme of us returning to the 70's and 80's climate days. He really does ignore the western US and the rest of the world though. You would never know how warm the whole planet was in 2014 and 2015 if you just listened to him. The world was on fire except for a little blue dark spot over the Eastern US those years.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 PM

83,685 posts, read 75,998,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
For us it's like April and May reversed themselves. We were 4-5F above normal in April with loads of 70's and even 80's and now in May, it's been in the 50s and low 60s!

WOW! See? That's the switch I'm talking about. Can happen just as easy the other way. Watch. Get ready to sweat everyday soon. FYI... not many bugs around with this pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Euro brings on the heat on May 17th.....

GFS does not....

And the latest Euro says "Whoops, my bad. It stays cold for Northeast"

Looks like we have to wait till after mid month for 70s. WTF?!

Meanwhile.... Today.. in Redfield NY.

Confirming that snow shown on radar is falling in the Adirondacks. This is from on top Whiteface Mountain today May 8, 2017

What? I don't see anything?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather