Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that solar angle plays a role in recorded sunshine hours. If the sun is close to the horizon, there's a much greater area for there to be a cloud in since they get "compacted" and "aligned" closer to the horizon. Also, the sun's rays become weaker and so thinner clouds are needed to get the effect under 120W/m2. Some probably speculate whether or not it's even possible for the sun to trigger a recording device on a completely clear day if it's too close to the horizon.

What I found when looking at some sunshine stats for Umeå (64'N) is that although the sun sets after 23:00 around the June solstice, not a single second of sunshine has ever been recorded after 22:00 in June. Most days don't even get a single second after 21:00, although some manage to get a couple of hundred seconds. What makes it even weirder is that 02:00 manages to record up to 2500 seconds even though the sunrise is 02:14 at its earliest, so how come the first hour of sunlight manages to record almost 100% sunshine but the last two hours of sunlight can't record a single second?

This is what June 25th 2009 recorded.

Looks to be a completely clear day, but then it just stops recording just a couple of minutes into the 21st hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
It's obvious that solar angle plays a role in recorded sunshine hours. If the sun is close to the horizon, there's a much greater area for there to be a cloud in since they get "compacted" and "aligned" closer to the horizon. Also, the sun's rays become weaker and so thinner clouds are needed to get the effect under 120W/m2. Some probably speculate whether or not it's even possible for the sun to trigger a recording device on a completely clear day if it's too close to the horizon.

What I found when looking at some sunshine stats for Umeå (64'N) is that although the sun sets after 23:00 around the June solstice, not a single second of sunshine has ever been recorded after 22:00 in June. Most days don't even get a single second after 21:00, although some manage to get a couple of hundred seconds. What makes it even weirder is that 02:00 manages to record up to 2500 seconds even though the sunrise is 02:14 at its earliest, so how come the first hour of sunlight manages to record almost 100% sunshine but the last two hours of sunlight can't record a single second?

This is what June 25th 2009 recorded.

Looks to be a completely clear day, but then it just stops recording just a couple of minutes into the 21st hour.
Could the times listed actually be standard (winter) time and so an hour out, meaning your 02:00-03:00 actually refers to 3-4 am? It would explain why you never ever record sun after "22:00" as well.

What's the most sun you can record on a clear day near the winter solstice with your low angle? We get nearly 7.5 hours of sun on the winter solstice, but with hills in the way I can only really see it from my house from about 9.40 am to 2.30 pm, don't know how much is actually recordable though.

Last edited by ben86; 03-13-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:23 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Could the times listed actually be standard (winter) time and so an hour out, meaning your 02:00-03:00 actually refers to 3-4 am? It would explain why you never ever record sun after "22:00" as well.

What's the most sun you can record on a clear day near the winter solstice with your low angle? We get nearly 7.5 hours of sun on the winter solstice, but with hills in the way I can only really see it from my house from about 9.40 am to 2.30 pm, don't know how much is actually recordable.
There's still about 7 minutes of sunlight in the 23rd hour each day around the summer solstice, so it should record atleast one second, you'd think...

This was the 20th of December this year, one day from the solstice, and was supposed to have 4:18h of sun, but only gathered about 3:10h of sun on what seems to be a completely clear day. (No other day that month managed to get any more sunshine that wasn't justified because of longer daylight)

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
There's still about 7 minutes of sunlight in the 23rd hour each day around the summer solstice, so it should record atleast one second, you'd think...

This was the 20th of December this year, one day from the solstice, and was supposed to have 4:18h of sun, but only gathered about 3:10h of sun on what seems to be a completely clear day. (No other day that month managed to get any more sunshine that wasn't justified because of longer daylight)
If you only lose an hour or so near sunrise/sunset at winter solstice that's actually pretty good, considering how low and distant the sun would be there at that time.

You seem to lose a roughly similar amount of sunshine in the morning and afternoon considering you have 9:28-13:46 sun times on that date - no odd anomalies of overrecording sun in the morning and underrecording in the evening at that time of year.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, that's pretty much it, except it doesn't take a few days to clear. Cold fronts usually clear within a day in this part of the world. The low pressure system can stall though allowing southerly winds to blow over a period of days.
still, no warm fronts sounds very hard to believe. I've heard of no frontal systems but not only cold before. England definitely gets warm fronts, unsure if there's a seasonality. I assume England gets storms from the subtropics part of the year.

BBC - KS3 Bitesize Geography - Weather and climate : Revision, Page 8

Quote:
Downwind isn't quite the right word. Airflow primarily as a result of the high pressure better describes my point.

Places I'm referring to in Australia -Shepparton, Corowa generally sit under the high (similar to mediterranean climate), rather than getting airflow due to high pressure like Cfa climates. When the highs weaken, it's cold fronts from the southern ocean that move in, not subtropical lows - it doesn't resemble the dynamics of Cfa climates, only average temperatures.
I think we describing the same pattern, other than labeling it differently. Spain gets subtropical lows outside of summer, right? Even though it's clearly not a humid subtropical. To nitpick mediterranean climates don't sit on the high; California generally has low surface pressure not a high pressure; the high is over the ocean not land which often gets a thermal low. See the low here:

Daily Weather Map

Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
still, no warm fronts sounds very hard to believe. I've heard of no frontal systems but not only cold before. England definitely gets warm fronts, unsure if there's a seasonality. I assume England gets storms from the subtropics part of the year.

BBC - KS3 Bitesize Geography - Weather and climate : Revision, Page 8
I was meaning subtropical lows, not warm fronts that are part of polar originated low pressure systems. I'm pretty sure the likes of Shepparton don't see rain from those warm air mass contains little moisture, but they certainly see rain from the cold fronts within the system. As far as I could tell, rain there is only folowed by a cooler air flow.

Quote:
I think we describing the same pattern, other than labeling it differently. Spain gets subtropical lows outside of summer, right? Even though it's clearly not a humid subtropical. To nitpick mediterranean climates don't sit on the high; California generally has low surface pressure not a high pressure; the high is over the ocean not land which often gets a thermal low. See the low here:

Daily Weather Map
I'm meaning subtropical lows in summer -definitely not a Mediterranean trait, but it is a Cfb/Cfa trait. Spain would be expected to get them in winter, as that isn't unusual for C climates at those latitudes.

Regarding California not sitting directly under the high -that's why I used the upwind/downwind analogy. Med climates are most directly effected by the influence of the high, while Cfb are least directly effected by the high, etc

Last edited by Joe90; 03-13-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Sweden seems to be so big on these 2002-2015 "normals" (ie averages), that I updated mine for Turku with the year 2016 included for comparison.

Helshitki too:

Last edited by Ariete; 03-14-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sweden seems to be so big on these 2002-2015 "normals" (ie averages), that I updated mine for Turku with the year 2016
Yeah, I also felt like trying some alternative Swedish facts, ehm normals.
Since we here far up north are warming so fast, lets keep the normals so close to the climate of today as possible.
And since Trondheim has its main climate station at the "mountain" at 127 m asl while the city center is 10 m asl next to the fjord, this station does not represent the city very well. And the airport is off course much colder in winter, being a little further from the fjord and so flat, perfect for cold air to pool. Luckily, there is a weather station at the peninsula in the fjord called Frosta, a municipality of its own but still only like 15 km from Trondheim city center across the fjord and the climate should be much more similar, although still at 70 m asl even there.
The records become a little weak using fewer years, but hey, this is the climate people in Trondheim city is used to the latest years, and we avoid those pesky record lows from the ice age 120 years ago.
What a long growing season..Oh, I forgot, users here don't look at the lows...

Oh yes, credit to Weatheronline's climate robot for averages.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
What a long growing season..Oh, I forgot, users here don't look at the lows...

Oh yes, credit to Weatheronline's climate robot for averages.
Warmer lows than Turku Artukainen's every month except May-August from the same 4-year period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather