Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenWings View Post
He's the LA-Mex of the south
He ****ing is isn't he! Lol! Always going on about how special the US South is, how "delicate" its "subtropical/tropical" environment is. Omg shut up already it's the ****tiest region in the US to live in full of backwards neo-Confederates who hate anything foreign

Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Omg shut up already it's the ****tiest region in the US to live in full of backwards neo-Confederates who hate anything foreign
WELL.... that is kind of true

Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I would take Houston or New Orleans' climate over Vancouver's any day

Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
No kidding, the Southern U.S is a terrible representation of a subtropical climate. Much too cold there.

This is a silly thread. We all know the South is very unstable in winter. The climates in the Med don't deal with the crazy temp swings of the US South, nor does South America or Australia. The Southeast US climates have continental influences.

We need to make sure we differentiate though between Southeast US vs Southwest US. The low desert areas of AZ, NV and California are a lot more stable in winter than the Southeast. Phoenix at lat 33N and over 1,000 ft in elevation is a lot warmer in winter than anywhere in the Euro Med. Phoenix is warmer than Alexandria, Egypt at lat 31N. Yuma is warmer still.

Having said that it does look and feel quite subtropical in New Orleans. New Orleans has the same Jan average as Malaga, Spain (one of the warmest European Med climates). Malaga is higher in latitude though. The overall yearly mean is warmer in NOLA 70F vs 64F in Malaga. That is due to latitude difference. Though NOLA has colder record temps, the vegetation in NOLA recovers quick I think due to the warmer annual temps.

BTW, I saw quite a few of your countrymen all over the place in New Orleans. While you were dealing with freezing weather and dead trees, they were walking around in summer weather. Does most of Canada empty out and go to the Southern US in winter?
It did get cool for a few days, but temps were still in the 60'sF.

I took these photos last week. Compare that to where you are in Canada. The US Southeast may have a "terrible" subtropical climate, but let's face it, compared to Canada I don't think Canadians mind the terrible climate.

There were loads and loads of huge CIDP's to rival any I saw in Seville, Spain

Beautiful large Queen Palms everywhere

Orange, lemon, lime trees everywhere in gardens

All kinds of lush green foliage

Split lead philodendrons

I like the St. Charles Street Car Line

Lush green gardens

Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Most of at least the interior southeastern united states has a climate better described as humid warm temperate, except for central and southern Florida, the immediate gulf coast, and coastal deep south Texas, which have a marginal subtropical or tropical climate by nature; other than the four sub regions that i mentioned, the rest of the south simply is too unstable and prone to cold outbreaks from the colder northern continental climate zones(albeit modified in nature), to be considered a tropical paradise; also, people need to realize climate anomalies that much of the south away from the immediate gulf coastal regions have endured, such as the blizzard of 1993. This does not construe up a vision of a tropical paradise to me or to many people.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Hey, Bob, how can we spin the word "humid" when describing our weather, to increase tourism?

Hmmmmmm, how about......let's call it a "subtropical paradise?"

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
There's plenty to like about life here in Memphis, but the weather isn't one of them. First off, it gets somewhat cold in the winter (about the same as London), but also very hot in the summer. The high humidity makes both extremes feel worse because the cold weather damp is chilling and the sticky summers prevent sweat from evaporating. Even at night, summers are disgustingly hot and humid. Not to mention full of allergens and mosquitoes. Yes, you can get warmer winters by living closer to the gulf, but then you have hurricanes. Air-conditioning and the successful management of insect borne diseases like yellow fever and malaria have made the South manageable, but the climate here is terrible. It's easily the biggest drawback to living here.
Another thing you forgot to mention: Memphis has a moderate tornado threat for most of the year. The only time there's no tornado threat there is June through September, when it's just brutally hot and humid instead.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
No kidding, the Southern U.S is a terrible representation of a subtropical climate. Much too cold there.
Its not really cold at all though.

It is just a continental version. With an average high of 17c in January we are laughing at people in New Orelans when they moan about cold!!!!
New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also it does snow there every few years but when it does it only lasts a few days.. so really.. not an ideal cold place at all.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM

459 posts, read 485,074 times
Sub-tropical? Yes, along much of the Gulf Coast and a few dozen miles inland plus 2/3rds of Florida..

A paradise? No, thank you. I'd take the Berkeley-Portland corridor any day.

Heck, I LIKE winters, I LIKE dry days. I'd take Vermont over Mississippi. I do NOT like to sweat through my shirt 4 months per year.

Which makes the fact that my job is taking me to Phoenix all the more interesting...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Most of at least the interior southeastern united states has a climate better described as humid warm temperate, except for central and southern Florida, the immediate gulf coast, and coastal deep south Texas, which have a marginal subtropical or tropical climate by nature; other than the four sub regions that i mentioned, the rest of the south simply is too unstable and prone to cold outbreaks from the colder northern continental climate zones(albeit modified in nature), to be considered a tropical paradise; also, people need to realize climate anomalies that much of the south away from the immediate gulf coastal regions have endured, such as the blizzard of 1993. This does not construe up a vision of a tropical paradise to me or to many people.

The Southeast Atlantic Coast from just north of Charleston, SC down to Florida is just as warm or wamer than the Gulf Coast.

The subtropical looks extends inland at least 30 to 50 miles from the coast. Mobile, AL looked subtropical and that city is around 35 miles inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.