Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
This thread is pathetic...
Lol. Yup. Might be an attention thing. There's so many flaws and incorrect statements with the original post . I'm on phone so can't even correct them at the moment but some folks already pointed out it does get cold down there and not just a "wind shift". Lol

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
They rarely have severe weather? What about all the tornadoes and hurricanes? Sure they might not always be "often" but they can do twenty years worth of damage pretty quickly.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
The 'deep deep south' has seen flurries of snow, correct me if I'm wrong (somewhere around Florida). The similar-latitude parts in Australia, North Africa and India haven't (not unless, though, if they're mountainous). Frost is also present in Florida, in some years.

Btw, the 'not so deep' south has sees snow every 3-5 years or so (New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio). Comparatively, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, which are around the same latitude of these southern cities, have NEVER gotten snow. The south is still continental influenced somehow and thus nearly every part of it can get cold snaps (I mean, North America virtually touches the arctic region).

Look at the climate of Hervey Bay (QLD AUS). It is at the same latitude of Miami - compare them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervey_Bay#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate

So you can say that only THE VERY far south of America is truly 'subtropical' or 'tropical paradise', not anywhere above Orlando.
Miami has warmer winters than Hervey Bay. What point are you trying to make? So now the deep south isn't even subtropical? I guess there's no difference between subtropical and tropical.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
There's plenty to like about life here in Memphis, but the weather isn't one of them. First off, it gets somewhat cold in the winter (about the same as London), but also very hot in the summer. The high humidity makes both extremes feel worse because the cold weather damp is chilling and the sticky summers prevent sweat from evaporating. Even at night, summers are disgustingly hot and humid. Not to mention full of allergens and mosquitoes. Yes, you can get warmer winters by living closer to the gulf, but then you have hurricanes. Air-conditioning and the successful management of insect borne diseases like yellow fever and malaria have made the South manageable, but the climate here is terrible. It's easily the biggest drawback to living here.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Tranquil, isn't a word I'd use to describe the South's climate. The term implies pleasant weather, without extremes, moderate temperatures, and without life threatening weather events.

If I was going to compile a list of tranquil climates, the South certainly wouldn't be on it.

Also, tobacco is often listed as a plant having subtropical requirements. That isn't correct. It can be grown in a wide range of climates.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, those southerners had it made alright, since the slaves did all the work. Working in that cruel, merciless sun, that cruel whip lashing their backs, yeah, it was paradise alright.

Brutal heatwaves, drought, fires, outbreaks of severe cold, tornadoes - it's a wonder anyone ever bothered to settle the southern states at all. Of course, if it wasn't for the slaves, they wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole. If it wasn't for air conditioning, the South would still be a sleepy backwater, totally disregarded by the rest of the United States, and even now, the vast majority of the South is comparable to a third-world country. It's certainly no paradise by any stretch of the imagination, that's for sure.

If I could go back in time, I'd set fire to the entire South and wiped out every plantation, every village, every port, and returned it to nature, never to be tramped upon by the human foot again. The South is a stain upon this country's history, and I'm ashamed to be living here. If I could play God, even for a minute, North America would have its southern shore at the latitude of the Maryland border, with not a drop of land to be found until Mexico.

Yeah, this boy won't be singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" until I'm able to move someplace far, far away, like on the shore of awesome Lake Superior. Now, that there is a real paradise.

(In case you're wondering why I'm feeling this way, I'm reading "Twelve Years a Slave." Reading that makes me wish the United States never became a country at all, as we certainly don't deserve it. Such a sad commentary of the human condition. )

Reading that same book. I can't celebrate the south. It was HELL for the slaves.

My sister lives near the coast of NC. Unbearably hot in the summer and the whole area reeks of pig slaughter houses. In the winter it's no sub-tropical paradise either. If you can see your breath and you need a coat, suffice to say the word "tropical" does not fit. For the average of 10 degrees warmer that it is in NC and the rest of the South, I'll take the North any day.

No. Not a fan.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 04-21-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,576,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Maybe the south of Florida is, but southern Med climates have milder winters than most of the Gulf coast and deep south of the USA. Summers are not quite as hot and humid in the med however.
That could be true for southern Mediterranean climates of northern Africa or Middel East, especially those they have in Libya, Egipt or Israel, but not for the norhtern European shore, which are way colder than Gulf coast.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
but not for the norhtern European shore, which are way colder than Gulf coast.
I know that, and the north of the med is at more than 13° latitude higher than the gulf coast, areas similar in temperature are 35-37°N BTW as I mentioned in my earlier post....

Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Miami has warmer winters than Hervey Bay. What point are you trying to make? So now the deep south isn't even subtropical? I guess there's no difference between subtropical and tropical.
If you read my post properly you'd know that I said only the DEEPEST part of the SOUTH is truly tropical or subtropical (comparable to Hervey Bay and most of QLD), where it rarely goes near freezing, akin to Australia's similar latitude areas.

Last edited by Ethereal; 04-21-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Who cares, this topic is yet of this OP's weird obsession with the Southern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.