Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Nice Photos! What a beautiful city New Orleans is, it's a shame it has so much crime. The parts of the Southern U.S I was talking about were the South-East inland of the coasts where they get snowfall and below freezing temperatures. Us Canadians will go anywhere warmer to get out of the cold, you may have seen quite a few because it is Spring Break these past few weeks in various Cities.

About the UV index, it depends on how far north you are in the U.K. Here we see readings of 7 from May-August with a few 8's thrown in there. The southern U.K is similar latitude, so it is definitely believable that they see it for their summer(3 months). I agree that over the years you slowly get darker skin, as it seems that I am not going pale but keeping color all the way until April.

It does depend on the region, whenever I go to Grand Forks, North Dakota in July, the first thing I notice is how pale some people are. They are further south than where I live and sunnier by some yet I have seen many people who are completely pale with no tan whatsoever. Where I live I have never seen people that white at that time of the year, everyone has a little color to them. I guess it could be the demographics Norwegian (36.4%), German (34.7%), Irish (10.6%).

Manchestor http://temis.nl/uvradiation/archives...ain_ENS_M8.dat
Camboene(south) http://temis.nl/uvradiation/archives...ain_ENS_M8.dat

About the crime in NOLA. It is no different than any other US city. The crime is gangs and drugs and is almost entirely within the bad areas. The crime rate there is dropping by the way. I felt very safe walking all over many of the parts of town that are okay. Also, there are nice places outside the city like Metarie had some beautiful homes. The Garden District in New Orleans was beautiful.

The US has some really cool unique cities like Miami, New Orleans, and San Francisco, Boston, Chicago and NYC. I feel very lucky to live in country with such cool cities. That was my first time in NOLA and I will be going back for sure.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
And even in the summer, this can happen: Memphis Summer Storm of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Another thing you forgot to mention: Memphis has a moderate tornado threat for most of the year. The only time there's no tornado threat there is June through September, when it's just brutally hot and humid instead.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That was my first time in NOLA and I will be going back for sure.

I was in NOLA in Jan 2013. It was chilly and damp with temps in the low 50's and upper 40's for the time I was there. Usually it's a bit warmer than that, but bad timing I guess.... Still had a blast. LOTS of drinking.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I was in NOLA in Jan 2013. It was chilly and damp with temps in the low 50's and upper 40's for the time I was there. Usually it's a bit warmer than that, but bad timing I guess.... Still had a blast. LOTS of drinking.

I had never seen such a think like the French Quarter. Really beautiful old architecture from the French Colonial period. Jefferson was very lucky to get the Louisiana Purchase off of the French. Their loss our gain. Some people there even still speak French. Block after block of clubs, restaurants and bars. Met tons of Brits and other Euro's there as well. One night in a club with live music, these Finnish guys showed up and just started playing with the band. Another night four French guys showed up.

If you go onto the world forum, many Europeans love to trash talk the US, but man there a loads of them in New Orleans.

And yes, that was cool for them if you had temps in the 50's and high 40's. One bartender said it was freezing and was like January and that was Tuesday/Wednesday when it was in the 60's for highs with a low temp of around 49F.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Many of you Northern Americans seem to have this superiority complex where you blame the South for all of your country's problems. As if your part of the country wasn't involved in slavery. Shifting the blame isn't the way to undo 400 years of oppression.

Last edited by pdw; 04-22-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would imagine Spring and Fall not needing heat or air con there. Here you most certainly need heat in the Spring and Fall.
No, you really need AC in the fall because the temps stay into the 80s through October. September is still really summer.

In the spring, during April you can open your windows during some days but it still gets chilly at night.

Many spring days you run your AC by day and heat by night.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Yawn. (Generic Southern bashing from someone outside of the region and bringing up slavery that none of us were responsible for). Roll credits. Will never end. I live in Nashville and these days the rent and housing costs are skyrocketing in large part because of so many Northern people who move down here because apparently it suits them just fine also. It doesn't bother me and I couldn't care less, but anyway.....about the weather in this Mid-South region....I wouldn't call it paradise by any means. It's probably a nice change for people who move from Midwestern or Northeastern climates during the winter, with it being common to sometimes reach into the 60s or 70s that time of year, but that's about it.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
As soon as those somebodys started running their hunter-gathering, they knew they had it made when it concerning the climate. That's because the Southern Finland is a subarctic paradise, and the southerners knew it, using the cool, wet, tranquil, subarctic climate to grow all sorts of cash crops like wheat, rye, strawberries, blueberries, oats, etc.

The South (especially coastal regions) rarely suffers from severe weather; all the thunderstorms that occur in the region are non-severe, and at the same time, put on spectacular lightning shows to wow the viewers. Lots of rain comes from these storms, but the rain is delivered in quick bursts, meaning that the sun has lots of room to shine, making for a climate that has SOME of rain AND lots of sun.

Alot of people like to make the weak argument that the South is cold during winter compared to other subarctic/humid continental environments... well, that is false; the South is very warm during winter, and it has many oceanic winter days, where nightime lows are above freezing in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. Cold fronts occur, yes, but by the time they reach the South, they are nothing but breezes and windshifts, because at the low elevation, the cold front peters out. Also, every subarctic region in the world gets cold fronts, and temp variation during the cool season. The south may appear to have extreme record lows compared to other humid continental environments, but that is because of the fact that such lows were recorded during a cold epoch (a period of cold weather that affects all humid continental regions at one time or another; in Europe's cold epoch, even the Medditeranean cities saw blizards!). Also, the S Finland has technology that is more advanced than other countries, so the temps will be recorded more accurately. The South is so warm, it even has a oceanic region OUTSIDE the subarctics (Utö), and it's one of the few places in the world you can grow pear OUTSIDE the oceanic (in South and Coastal Finland, and Finland Proper Coast). Humid continental oak trees line the entire Gulf of Finland Coast; wisdom and civilization grow like weeds, lots of varied humid continental landscapes from lush coastal plains to deep spooky swamps with HUMONGOUS pine trees drapped with full thick cherries ( a SUBTROPICAL Japanese plant); Ash and crocus being grown easily, city rabbits and educated people... just a few of the MANY characteristics that show just how warm the South is.

People in the US talking about how "cold" Finland is have no idea how utterly cold their hypercontinental climate is in comparison to the warm, subarctic DEEP south. The DEEP DEEP South can be compared to the likes of Boston, Ukraine, and Lithuania in terms of winter warmth; thats how colonists in the southern part of the 9 historical provinces of Finland grew all sorts of things.

All in all, southerners know they have it made when it comes to climate; there is a reason why people sang "v*t*u mitä paskaa" (f**k this s**t / what is this s**t?) in the South; because they were enjoying the humid continental paradise that was present.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-22-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
I couldn't disagree more. Hurricanes, heat, humidity...they can keep it. I'll take a winter day in Flagstaff over a summer day in Biloxi.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As soon as those somebodys started running their hunter-gathering, they knew they had it made when it concerning the climate. That's because the Southern Finland is a subarctic paradise, and the southerners knew it, using the cool, wet, tranquil, subarctic climate to grow all sorts of cash crops like wheat, rye, strawberries, blueberries, oats, etc.

The South (especially coastal regions) rarely suffers from severe weather; all the thunderstorms that occur in the region are non-severe, and at the same time, put on spectacular lightning shows to wow the viewers. Lots of rain comes from these storms, but the rain is delivered in quick bursts, meaning that the sun has lots of room to shine, making for a climate that has SOME of rain AND lots of sun.

Alot of people like to make the weak argument that the South is cold during winter compared to other subarctic/humid continental environments... well, that is false; the South is very warm during winter, and it has many oceanic winter days, where nightime lows are above freezing in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. Cold fronts occur, yes, but by the time they reach the South, they are nothing but breezes and windshifts, because at the low elevation, the cold front peters out. Also, every subarctic region in the world gets cold fronts, and temp variation during the cool season. The south may appear to have extreme record lows compared to other humid continental environments, but that is because of the fact that such lows were recorded during a cold epoch (a period of cold weather that affects all humid continental regions at one time or another; in Europe's cold epoch, even the Medditeranean cities saw blizards!). Also, the S Finland has technology that is more advanced than other countries, so the temps will be recorded more accurately. The South is so warm, it even has a oceanic region OUTSIDE the subarctics (Utö), and it's one of the few places in the world you can grow pear OUTSIDE the oceanic (in South and Coastal Finland, and Finland Proper Coast). Humid continental oak trees line the entire Gulf of Finland Coast; wisdom and civilization grow like weeds, lots of varied humid continental landscapes from lush coastal plains to deep spooky swamps with HUMONGOUS pine trees drapped with full thick cherries ( a SUBTROPICAL Japanese plant); Ash and crocus being grown easily, city rabbits and educated people... just a few of the MANY characteristics that show just how warm the South is.

People in the US talking about how "cold" Finland is have no idea how utterly cold their hypercontinental climate is in comparison to the warm, subarctic DEEP south. The DEEP DEEP South can be compared to the likes of Boston, Ukraine, and Lithuania in terms of winter warmth; thats how colonists in the southern part of the 9 historical provinces of Finland grew all sorts of things.

All in all, southerners know they have it made when it comes to climate; there is a reason why people sang "v*t*u mitä paskaa" (f**k this s**t / what is this s**t?) in the South; because they were enjoying the humid continental paradise that was present.
While I thought that was a good and informative post, I would say that plenty of people used to the climate in the Southern US would say they'd never live in Boston because it's way too cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.