Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyChicken View Post
Here is a fact that might shock you... Australia is very nearly the size of the continental US! I can think of other "mainlands" where coconuts grow tall and healthy. These include: Australia, Africa, Asia and South America.

You fail.
Like I said, because of the circumstances, if a person calls Australia an island, then they are not wrong. It is large enough to be counted as a continent, but it can also be called an island.

Name those mainland locations for me.

I never said the averages for those regions were tropical; I said that those places can have many winter days that are tropical-like, where lows are above 60F, and that applies for the MAJORITY of the deep south US. That is something that is rare in North Africa, or other subtropical regions in the world, all due to the Gulf of Mexico being such a warm ocean.

Quote:
Those regions may get 60F lows in winter, but they are just as likely to get frosts and rather severe cold fronts, which they often do. If anything, Northern Africa at those latitudes is actually warmer.
Frosts and severe cold happen in the South; Just like they do in every other subtropical climate. Also, remember, cold epochs can skew the readings quite a bit; Eastern North America is under one right now(caused by the Jet Stream pattern trend at this time), so you can't really make judgments on how the climate normally is.

Quote:
And coconut palms are limited to those areas. Winters anywhere else along the Gulf Coast are too cool.
Strong and healthy coconut palms also can be grown on Galveston Island,TX, and the Plaquemines Parish of Louisiana.

But the areas of the Gulf Coast the can grow coconut palms, can do so to an effect seen in very few subtropical locations on the planet NOT on islands on the same latitude.

Quote:
Southern Illinois also gets a good helping of snow every winter.

If Spanish moss can survive the snow-ridden jungles of Illinois, then it can survive most temperate climates in the world. I'm sure parts of Tasmania and pretty much the rest of Australia is warm enough.
Spanish Moss, at minimum, is a USDA zone 8+ plant, so it barely makes it in Southern Illinois, which is expected, as Southern Illinois can be considered to be on the northern fringes of the South.

Also, just because a location gets snow doesn't mean it is all that cold; the warmest part of Antarctica is the part that gets the most snow.

Spanish Moss can survive in those temperate areas, but they wont thrive, as they require lots of tropical heat and humidity you wont find in Tasmania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I'd love to know what people from Miami think of you classing them as living in the 'US South'

You fail on every level on trying to convince everyone that the 'south' is a sub-tropical "paradise" & while some parts do indeed have a sub-tropical climate, even those areas are prone to very cold spells of weather, which makes it very un-paradise like, not to mention what is it actually like to live in one of these 'lovely' areas...

Maybe you are actually just trying to convince yourself...
In the US South, many cold fronts manifest as fresh, cool breezes that bring relief from the heat; all they do that far south is shift the wind, and dry out the air, making for temps that can get quite cool at night.... but warm up rapidly during the day. Now, there can be severe frost and cold, but that happens in EVERY subtropical climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT22 View Post
You're so right about "prone to cold spells".

Here is a direct comparison between Lahore, Pakistan and Waco, Texas
Both are at the same latitude, 31.5N
Record cold temperature for Lahore is 30F /-1C, just slightly below freezing.
Record cold temperature for Waco is -5F /-21C, colder than both London or Vancouver.

I always think of Texas as being hot but not compared to NE Pakistan/N India (very warm for latitude).
I never thought I'd say it but...Texas is cool

LAHORE...WACO,TX

68/43 JAN 59/36
72/48 FEB 62/40
81/57 MAR 70/47
93/67 APR 78/55
102/75 MAY86/64
105/81 JUN 92/71
97/80 JULY 97/74
95/80 AUG 97/74
95/76 SEP 90/67
91/65 OCT 80/57
81/53 NOV 69/47
71/44 DEC 80/38

(Averages are 1961-1990 for Lahore, 1981-2010 for Waco)

In Texas, only Laredo comes close to matching Lahore's average temps
but it's a lot farther south at 27.9N
The Eastern US is suffering from what is known as a cold epoch, which can skew the temps quite a bit to make it seem colder than it actually is. The US South was much warmer, so warm that even OKC had a 365 day growing season; this was during the time period the Mound Building Culture flourished. I call the US South "paradise" based on precip factors, ease of plant cultivation, temps, the nice people, the dynamic cities, beautiful beaches, etc.

Also, Waco is a bit farther inland than Lahore, and is west of a major body of water, so that contributes to the slightly more continental temps in the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What is your point on this forum? You are not going to convince anybody of the strange ideas you have about the climate of the South. Nobody believes any of the clap trap you spout. Your photos are crap as you can't even pick decent photos to prove your point. You just grab any you think will impress people. They don't impress anybody.
My point was to debunk the mythology people on this forum have about the US South's temps during winter, and show you people that the US South actually is paradise during that season, especially the coastal areas. Those photos reflect the fact that the US South has the sufficient heat and humidity, as well as the warm winters, to support such huge swamps loaded with reptilians and insects that flourish during the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Very few people would choose Waco over London I would think. This past January Waco had a low temp of 16F. Also, on Jan 4th the high temp was 70F, and on Jan 6th the high was 32F. 38F drop in 48 hours. That sounds awful and exactly what I hate about N American continental winters. Of course the temp went back up to 80F, and then back down again like a roller coaster all winter. How anyone can find that appealing is beyond me. It is not even healthy for a body to experience that kind of crap.

Here is a photo of Waco, TX taken on Jan 25th this past winter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22287142@N02/12182852334/

Sure looks like a subtropical paradise to me.
Please, just stop. The US South was WELL below average this winter. In an average winter, the sheer warmth would shock people around the world.

Let me take time off from my argument to address this nonsense; what do you mean it is not healthy for the body to experience huge temp swings? Millions of people are living in the Midwestern US, Mongolia, Siberia, Central and Eastern Europe, and other continental locations with swings throughout the year without so much as a problem. In fact, continental climates were precisely a factor in how Genghis Khan and the mongols were able to conquer half the world like bosses.

Quote:
Let's try Australia aswell.

Forster, NSW at 32*S ...................... record low 2.0C
SouthWest Rocks, NSW at 31*S ........ record low 4.0C
Nelson Bay, NSW at 32*S ................. record low 1.1C
Newcastle, Nobbys Lighthouse 33*S ... record low 1.8C

Lancelin, WA at 31*S .................. record low 0.1C
Swanbourne, WA, 32*S ............... record low 2.4C
Rottnest Island, WA, 32*S ........... record low 4.5C

The OP has a fetish for the coast, and these are the coastal records for Australia at deep south US latitudes.
The Eastern US is under a cold epoch, which can skew the record lows quite a bit. When the Jet Stream shifts to its normal, zonal position, you will see how winters in the South US REALLY are.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:22 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Tomfalcons was talking about sudden temperature hanged between days not gradual ones between weeks.

Sudden temperature changes from warm to cold are bad for health. In past 5 years I have only gotten a cold twice and both of those times was returning hone to cold from warm weather vacation.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
I think we've found WaveHunter007's sock puppet account.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
In the US South, many cold fronts manifest as fresh, cool breezes that bring relief from the heat; all they do that far south is shift the wind, and dry out the air, making for temps that can get quite cool at night.... but warm up rapidly during the day. Now, there can be severe frost and cold, but that happens in EVERY subtropical climate.
Are you having a laugh?!? What about those cold fronts that bring temperatures into double digits BELOW freezing & also bring snow? It doesn't 'warm up rapidly' during the day in those situations

And you are also very wrong, as you are on pretty much everything anyway, in saying that "EVERY" sub-tropical climate gets severe cold & frost as they do not. Plenty of places with sub-tropical climates have NEVER recorded a frost & they don't get severe cold either...

So yeah the US south is pretty cold for a supposed "sub-tropical" climate

Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Like I said, because of the circumstances, if a person calls Australia an island, then they are not wrong. It is large enough to be counted as a continent, but it can also be called an island.

Name those mainland locations for me.

I never said the averages for those regions were tropical; I said that those places can have many winter days that are tropical-like, where lows are above 60F, and that applies for the MAJORITY of the deep south US. That is something that is rare in North Africa, or other subtropical regions in the world, all due to the Gulf of Mexico being such a warm ocean.

Frosts and severe cold happen in the South; Just like they do in every other subtropical climate. Also, remember, cold epochs can skew the readings quite a bit; Eastern North America is under one right now(caused by the Jet Stream pattern trend at this time), so you can't really make judgments on how the climate normally is.

Strong and healthy coconut palms also can be grown on Galveston Island,TX, and the Plaquemines Parish of Louisiana.

But the areas of the Gulf Coast the can grow coconut palms, can do so to an effect seen in very few subtropical locations on the planet NOT on islands on the same latitude.

Spanish Moss, at minimum, is a USDA zone 8+ plant, so it barely makes it in Southern Illinois, which is expected, as Southern Illinois can be considered to be on the northern fringes of the South.

Also, just because a location gets snow doesn't mean it is all that cold; the warmest part of Antarctica is the part that gets the most snow.

Spanish Moss can survive in those temperate areas, but they wont thrive, as they require lots of tropical heat and humidity you wont find in Tasmania.

The Eastern US is suffering from what is known as a cold epoch, which can skew the temps quite a bit to make it seem colder than it actually is. The US South was much warmer, so warm that even OKC had a 365 day growing season; this was during the time period the Mound Building Culture flourished. I call the US South "paradise" based on precip factors, ease of plant cultivation, temps, the nice people, the dynamic cities, beautiful beaches, etc.

Also, Waco is a bit farther inland than Lahore, and is west of a major body of water, so that contributes to the slightly more continental temps in the former.

My point was to debunk the mythology people on this forum have about the US South's temps during winter, and show you people that the US South actually is paradise during that season, especially the coastal areas. Those photos reflect the fact that the US South has the sufficient heat and humidity, as well as the warm winters, to support such huge swamps loaded with reptilians and insects that flourish during the season.

Please, just stop. The US South was WELL below average this winter. In an average winter, the sheer warmth would shock people around the world.

Let me take time off from my argument to address this nonsense; what do you mean it is not healthy for the body to experience huge temp swings? Millions of people are living in the Midwestern US, Mongolia, Siberia, Central and Eastern Europe, and other continental locations with swings throughout the year without so much as a problem. In fact, continental climates were precisely a factor in how Genghis Khan and the mongols were able to conquer half the world like bosses.

The Eastern US is under a cold epoch, which can skew the record lows quite a bit. When the Jet Stream shifts to its normal, zonal position, you will see how winters in the South US REALLY are.
Would you mind proving this whacked out "cold epoch" non sense you keep spouting. Not one iota of proof backs you up. Any meteo or climatologist would laugh in your face at your "cold epoch" non sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather