Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yeah I guess those 600,000 plus Union soldiers that were killed fighting to liberate slaves weren't worth a damn. While we are at it, Morgenthau was right and Germany and Japan should have been wiped off the face of the earth after WWII and turned into agrarian backwaters for eternity. That is what he proposed at the end of WWII to make sure Germany paid for the grotesque and horrible murders they committed by the millions. By your logic every single German is responsible, even those alive today.

I saw the movie and yes it was horrible. But don't forget the roots of this country and that is the UK. The King of England fully allowed slavery all over his British North American colonies including Virginia, the Carolinas, etc. Why give him a pass?
They don't deserve a pass, but the UK ended slavery decades before the US and they didn't have a war over it. Our country is still reeling from the effects of violent racism and while it's better than it was even a mere fifty years ago, we still have a long way to go. Racism is pervasive in our society unfortunately.

Compared to Europe and even Canada, the US is quite frankly very backwards on certain issues. We catch up eventually, but it takes a while.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
They don't deserve a pass, but the UK ended slavery decades before the US and they didn't have a war over it. Our country is still reeling from the effects of violent racism and while it's better than it was even a mere fifty years ago, we still have a long way to go. Racism is pervasive in our society unfortunately.

Compared to Europe and even Canada, the US is quite frankly very backwards on certain issues. We catch up eventually, but it takes a while.
Canada isn't the colourblind paradise it's often perceived as. We have our own problems with racism here. I'm extremely proud of my country, but that doesn't mean I should deny this. Slavery was one of the worst atrocities against mankind ever committed, and nowhere has their hands clean.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Modern times are here and nobody needs any additional apologies. People need to move on. Get over it.
Those 'slaves' now have the most jobs and income....football stars and television hosts....every opportunity and then some that everyone else has. Slavery is a thing of the past. Shut up!
It's been 100% total equality for ages....only now the white Americans are the minority and getting screwed.

I'll be damned if I can figure why this website allows what they do to exist in a "weather" forum.

Look at the 'happy' and the 'unhappy' threads. Nothing but garbage, heavily laced with childish profanity. Reporting it does *nothing*.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Modern times are here and nobody needs any additional apologies. People need to move on. Get over it.
Those 'slaves' now have the most jobs and income....football stars and television hosts....every opportunity and then some that everyone else has. Slavery is a thing of the past. Shut up!
It's been 100% total equality for ages....only now the white Americans are the minority and getting screwed.

I'll be damned if I can figure why this website allows what they do to exist in a "weather" forum.

Look at the 'happy' and the 'unhappy' threads. Nothing but garbage, heavily laced with childish profanity. Reporting it does *nothing*.
If you say so.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 PM

36 posts, read 52,527 times
Default What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
As soon as those southerners started running their plantations, they knew they had it made when it concerning the climate. That's because the US South is subtropical paradise, and the southerners knew it, using the warm, wet, tranquil, subtropical climate to grow all sorts of cash crops like indigo, race, tobacco, peaches, sugarcane, etc.

The South (especially coastal regions) rarely suffers from severe weather; all the thunderstorms that occur in the region are non-severe, and at the same time, put on spectacular lightning shows to wow the viewers. Lots of rain comes from these storms, but the rain is delivered in quick bursts, meaning that the sun has lots of room to shine, making for a climate that has BOTH lots of rain AND lots of sun.

Alot of people like to make the weak argument that the South is cold during winter compared to other subtropical environments... well, that is false; the South is very warm during winter, and it has many tropical winter days, where nightime lows are above 60 in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. Cold fronts occur, yes, but by the time they reach the South, they are nothing but breezes and windshifts, because at the low latitude, the cold front peters out. Also, every subtropical region in the world gets cold fronts, and temp variation during the cool season. The south may appear to have extreme record lows compared to other subtropical environments, but that is because of the fact that such lows were recorded during a cold epoch (a period of cold weather that affects all subtropical regions at one time or another; in Europe's cold epoch, even the Medditeranean cities saw blizards!). Also, the US has technology that is more advanced than other countries, so the temps will be recorded more accurately. The South is so warm, it even has a tropical region OUTSIDE the tropics (South Florida), and its one of the few places in the world you can grow coconuts OUTSIDE the tropics (in South and Central Florida, and Texas Coast). Subtropical mangrove trees line the entire Gulf Coast; mangoes and bananas grow like weeds, lots of varied subtropical landscapes from lush coastal plains to deep spooky swamps with HUMONGOUS trees drapped with full thick spanish moss ( a TROPICAL American plant); mahogany and yellow pines being grown easily, native crocodilians and palms... just a few of the MANY characteristics that show just how warm the South is.

People in Europe talking about how "cold" the US is have no idea how utterly cold their Med climate is in comparison to the warm, subtropical DEEP south. The DEEP DEEP South can be compared to the likes of Australia, North Africa, and Subtropical India in terms of winter warmth; thats how colonists in the southern part of the 13 colonies grew all sorts of things.

All in all, southerners know they have it made when it comes to climate; there is a reason why people sang "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" in the South; because they were enjoying the subtropical paradise that was present.
I had to click on this thread since it's such a funny title. And then I read your post and have to ask whether you are being sarcastic or not? The South not having severe weather? What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking? I guess you don't consider tornadoes or hurricanes severe weather, and these happen yearly. Mississippi and Alabama are like the tornado alley of the South. Also the South gets severe thunderstorms all the time. Tampa, Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world. It is an ideal climate if you enjoy oppressively hot, humid summers and mild winters. However, I prefer mild winters and summers where it's warm but not humid and it cools down at night enough so you can sleep comfortably. Different strokes for different folks

Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 52,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Yes, because a couple hundred people you see on TV are representative of the plight of 10s of millions of African-Americans

Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefreespirit View Post
Tampa, Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world. It is an ideal climate if you enjoy oppressively hot, humid summers and mild winters.
Indeed it is. Tampa is probably my favorite city and that is a main reason.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
I had to click on this thread since it's such a funny title. And then I read your post and have to ask whether you are being sarcastic or not? The South not having severe weather? What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking? I guess you don't consider tornadoes or hurricanes severe weather, and these happen yearly. Mississippi and Alabama are like the tornado alley of the South. Also the South gets severe thunderstorms all the time. Tampa, Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world. It is an ideal climate if you enjoy oppressively hot, humid summers and mild winters. However, I prefer mild winters and summers where it's warm but not humid and it cools down at night enough so you can sleep comfortably. Different strokes for different folks
The only parts of the South that experience tornadoes actually worth worrying about are the inland areas well into the continent (i.e. the northern portions of Alabama and Mississippi). The areas in proximity to the coast, and east of the Appalachians don't have to worry about tornadoes. The majority of thunderstorms in Southern cities like Tampa are non-severe; dramatic and fun to watch with spectacular lightning shows, but without the threat of hail, and F5 tornadoes associated with the super-cells that strike the Great Plains. The equatorial tropics have the same type of thunderstorms almost every day of the year.

Hurricanes are the only really concern the South has weather-wise, but even then, unlike other disasters, like tornadoes and earthquakes, which are unpredictable, you have time to prepare, make-amends, etc to beat the storm. Hurricanes, imo, are one of the "safer" natural disasters; you have time to prep, and the only real damage from them comes from winds which make storm surges, which are threats only to the immediate coastline. Hurricane Katrina, for instance, only caused the damage it did because of the fact that the New Orleans levees broke, allowing water to flood the city.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The areas in proximity to the coast, and east of the Appalachians don't have to worry about tornadoes.
Nothing to worry about. Who needs roofs anyway?

Tornado Damages Homes In Volusia County - YouTube

Old 04-26-2014, 01:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Makes stargazing possible from your bedroom.

Quote:
Tampa, Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the world.
It ain't:
http://geology.com/articles/lightnin...htning-map.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.