Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
In a word no. I don't think any northern Europeans travelling to the Med in the winter think they are going to the 'tropics', they are well aware of how warm it is there & they go there because it is a damn site warmer than northern Europe! 16C & sunshine is far better in my book than -5C & freezing rain, but each to his own I guess

Also winters in the Med are shorter & sunnier, despite receiving most of their annual rainfall during this time. Malta gets an average of 5-6 hours of sunshine a day in January & like in continental climates can also get periods of above average warmer weather (20C +) from time to time too, something which never happens in places like the UK...
That's why some southern Europeans like travelling to Caribbean islands or Canary islands in winter months, at least some Spaniards do.

Well, almost Mediterranean coastline from southern Europe and northern Africa experienced short andrelatively sunny winters. However, the most notherly part of Mediterranean coastline of Europe can get many cloudy speels.
Thus, once you move further inland in the three peninsulas that make southern Europe, you can get cloudy and cold weather most of the time from late autumn to early spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:24 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
They are not overrated. They rock!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They are not overrated. They rock!
True.

Nice is very nice. Barcelona and even Split. All very good.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 AM

287 posts, read 448,683 times
Yes, they are definitely overrated. But I can understand why people coming from Scandinavia or Canada often appreciate the Mediterranean winters (although I do not agree with them), which are indeed mild and sunny in comparison as a whole. What I really can not understand is why so many people think that the Mediterranean climates are mild year-round, while they actually have always hot, humid summers (except for very few spots) and sometimes chilly, windy, rainy and damp winters.
However, among the places put in the "Mediterreanean climate" belt the real climates are not always the same. European mediterreanean climates are different from American ones and from one another, sometimes greatly.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
What I really can not understand is why so many people think that the Mediterranean climates are mild year-round, while they actually have always hot, humid summers (except for very few spots) and sometimes chilly, windy, rainy and damp winters.
However, among the places put in the "Mediterreanean climate" belt the real climates are not always the same. European mediterreanean climates are different from American ones and from one another, sometimes greatly.
American Mediterranean climates do not have humid summers. I think southern hemisphere ones don't as well. As for heat, ones near the coast don't have hot summers. These aren't bad, for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon#Climate

If your impression of Mediterranean climates is from coastal California, mild year around is an accurate impression.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
American Mediterranean climates do not have humid summers. I think southern hemisphere ones don't as well. As for heat, ones near the coast don't have hot summers. These aren't bad, for example

Lisbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your impression of Mediterranean climates is from coastal California, mild year around is an accurate impression.

I think coastal California needs to be reclassified as downright arid (or mild desert) based on the pathetic rain totals this year. Almost all of the coastal locations, from SF south, is WAY under the 10 inch threshold in order to meet the criteria for "arid."

Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
^^ based on ONE year. That's a bit silly isn't it.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times
No, they aren't overrated.
Mediterranean climates are usually great, warm and sunny, both european and american. The mildest mediterranean cities - San Remo, Nice, Sorrento - are just perfect, with mild to unknown winters and warm, but rarely too hot, summers.
Other mediterranean cities are a bit too hot in the summer and too rainy in winter, but they can boast an enviable climate overall.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Yah, crappy winters: rain, fog and wind.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:19 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Med climates are my favourite. Reliable warm and sunny summers that are not too hot (apart from the southern european ones) and mild winters that are still sunny/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather