Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Where's this?
San Francisco. The above photo link is from the last couple days of the forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Humid subtropical climate zones also get very hot summers and quite freezing winters (they beat the Mediterranean climate with their colder winters). So that wasn't a good reason.

Okay, maybe there is more winter rain. But HS climates also have considerable amount of rainfall in the winter.

Humid Subtropical zones aren't really known for freezing winter, if so, they really wouldn't classify as subtropical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Most of them. Especially those in Europe and North America.

New York has hot summers and freezing winters with high amount of rainfall.

Charleston and Savannah have very hot summers and cool winters (with heavy rain not being uncommon).
New York City is not subtropical at all.

Charleston and Savannah are slightly warmer than Melbourne in winter(three coolest months average temps) which is not freezing, but are much warmer than Melbourne for the other three seasons.

According to BOM for Melbourne Airport, the three coolest months average 49.6F. The three coolest months at Charleston Airport average 51F and Savannah Airport 52F.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're overrated if you expect them to be the tropics. I don't. If you actually want a season of 60 degree weather (or jacket weather mixed some T-shirt days) then they're not overrated at all. By December, I've gotten used to cold weather so much, 60-65 degrees seems like enough to me.

Agreed. They have a cool season, but not a freezing cold winter.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,972,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Humid Subtropical zones aren't really known for freezing winter, if so, they really wouldn't classify as subtropical.

New York City is not subtropical at all.
Well, NYC, under Koppen, is Cfa - Oh, I actually don't agree with it.

True, HS aren't known to have cold winters, although they're still cool. However, many Cfa's in Europe tend to have cold winters (beating Med winters).

That was my only point (for the OP).

Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
the Mediterranean climates of Europe extend poleward more than most, so they have somewhat chilly winters. Go to more southerly Mediterranean climates and the winters are milder. at 42°N:

Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

36°N — Winters closer to coastal California at a similar latitude and somewhat close to the Bay Area

Tangier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,979,510 times
I only like med climates in the winter early spring and late fall. their summers are way too cold for me....It was 60 in San Diego one june and I prefer 90's and triple digits for at least 6 months out of the year.....preferably humid too like Houston Or Corpus.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,217,190 times
^San Diego usually gets between 75-80F in summer. That June day was probably a day in late spring.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,628 times
But, in general, Med climates are overrated for having the "best weather." The truth is, such a term is subjective at best. Some one may like the constant drizzle in Oceanic climates. Others may like the humidity and tropical-style downpours you see in Humid Subtropical climates, and in Tropical Climates. Still others may like the ice and snow of Polar climates.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,701,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Some one may like the constant drizzle in Oceanic climates
Drizzle isn't actually a feature of Oceanic climates, but of latitude and geography.. My own Oceanic climate features very little drizzle and plenty of downpours.

With parts of NZ getting 18000 mm/750 inches of rain during the wettest year, downpours are rather common , and aren't regarded as tropical, but normal weather.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-27-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM

13,489 posts, read 9,039,563 times
In a word no. I don't think any northern Europeans travelling to the Med in the winter think they are going to the 'tropics', they are well aware of how warm it is there & they go there because it is a damn site warmer than northern Europe! 16C & sunshine is far better in my book than -5C & freezing rain, but each to his own I guess

Also winters in the Med are shorter & sunnier, despite receiving most of their annual rainfall during this time. Malta gets an average of 5-6 hours of sunshine a day in January & like in continental climates can also get periods of above average warmer weather (20C +) from time to time too, something which never happens in places like the UK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather