Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

NY, NJ, and PA declared state of emergency already which means no school and stay off roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
At any rate, NYC has a good shot at going subzero for the first time since 1994. Consider that there are New Yorkers in their mid 20's who don't remember experiencing any temperature below 0F; that could change in the next week.
NYC had a good shot at going below zero in 2004, but it couldn't happen, which is why I'm not completely sold on temperatures going below zero this weekend, but it's definitely another nail biter. And I'm one of those New Yorkers that never experienced subzero temperatures, and I don't wish to experience them either lol.

In 1985, JFK Airport recorded its all-time record low of -2F, and hasn't gone below zero since, so some New Yorkers in their 30's probably don't even recall experiencing temperatures below 0F.

Quote:
Considering that the all-time record low is -15F, -16F is certainly conceivable under extremely favorable conditions, which I assume the Euro has in place. It would smash the January record low of -6F, but December's is -13F and February's is -15F, so there's no reason similar temperatures couldn't occur in January.

Will it actually happen? I don't think so. My current thinking is that the primary axis of cold will be in the Midwest down into the upland South, which would take NYC out of all-time record territory and into merely record territory (i.e. singles below zero).
I take any mention of subzero temperatures with a grain of salt. While they are a possibility, they're extremely rare and require a host of conditions to be present in order to occur. But -16F is going overboard, in my opinion. And if it were to occur I think we would've seen it coming, severe cold probably would've been leading up to it, it wouldn't be a random temperature plunge (I don't think, at least). It's like seeing a high of 128F in July, amongst highs in the 90's/100's.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Current watches and warnings map. Intellicast - Local Weather Forecast, Reports and Maps

17 States with a Winter Storm Warning
21 States with a wind chill advisory
4 with a Blizzard Warning

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-watches7a.jpg   Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-watches8.jpg  

Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM

29,512 posts, read 19,610,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Heh, those temps look like they've come straight out of a random number generator, particularly when you see them in Fahrenheit and you think in Celsius.
Here is last night's forecast for Chicago. I did provide the celsius conversions

Lake effect snow plume now pounding Northwest Indiana suburbs. Heavy snow, near whiteout conditions on I-80, I-94, I-90 & I-65 in Lake County Indiana

Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times
so what happened to winter? I'm mean seriously. tomorrow is suppose to be our "cold" day but the forecast high is 69 and the low 62. after words the warmth returns with highs in the upper 70s and lower 80s with lows in the the lower 70s. then the pattern repeats with one "cold" day with a high around 70 and a low around 60 before warm weather returns. even by miami standards this is ridiculously warm. This December was the 2nd warmest on record with an avg temp of 75.2f(24c). It was even warm enough for me to go to the beach today(I never go to the beach in winter). it's been so warm for so long that the SST was 79f!!! I seriously need a cold front. even in my dream climate during the winter there are cold fronts every week or so during the winter, with lows around 50f and highs in the upper 60s. I'm asking for a whole lot just give some normal january weather for miami.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Lake effect snow plume now pounding Northwest Indiana suburbs. Heavy snow, near whiteout conditions on I-80, I-94, I-90 & I-65 in Lake County Indiana

hey did chicago o hare reopen. I got an uncle flying back to Chicago tonight. his flight is suppose to arrive at 11:30.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
so what happened to winter? I'm mean seriously. tomorrow is suppose to be our "cold" day but the forecast high is 69 and the low 62. after words the warmth returns with highs in the upper 70s and lower 80s with lows in the the lower 70s. then the pattern repeats with one "cold" day with a high around 70 and a low around 60 before warm weather returns. even by miami standards this is ridiculously warm. This December was the 2nd warmest on record with an avg temp of 75.2f(24c). It was even warm enough for me to go to the beach today(I never go to the beach in winter). it's been so warm for so long that the SST was 79f!!! I seriously need a cold front. even in my dream climate during the winter there are cold fronts every week or so during the winter, with lows around 50f and highs in the upper 60s. I'm asking for a whole lot just give some normal january weather for miami.
Stubborn ridge off the south Atlantic coast. It's why Georgia hasn't had any extreme cold yet either. It's been colder here this winter than the last two, but that doesn't take much. Even next week, when the coldest air is in place, low temperatures will only drop into the upper teens here, which is not unheard of.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM

29,512 posts, read 19,610,114 times
^^

Never closed. It was just running with delays (as usual) and cancellations..... Things should be back to normal by now.

Just realized that International Falls dipped to -41F this morning.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-02-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Never closed. It was just running with delays (as usual) and cancellations..... Things should be back to normal by now.

Just realized that International Falls dipped to -41F this morning.

just checked his flight is delayed by 45mins(no biggie).

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM

234 posts, read 214,679 times
Already at -12F/-24C tonight and it's only 9:13pm. Unless some clouds move in before morning, it's going to really bottom out right at daybreak. We've already made it to -15F in Dec so we'll see where we end up this time. What I find funny is the weather forecaster keeps moving the low temp prediction down as it keeps falling. HA....they don't even know where it will stop at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather