Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
forecast calls for -19f
This is nuts. Ignore my excitement but we don't see this often and it feels great! Usually after a snowstorm I'm in the 30s. Actually usually in the winter my highs are in the 30s.

Just walked the dog for half hour with the same thing I wear when its 30F. Currently 8F feels like 0F. Clear sky with Stars, snowpack on ground, cold air, and not warming up.

By the way...

"If ATL gets to 5ºF or colder Tue it’ll be the coldest since Jan. 21, 1985 (-8ºF). TWC 4casting 9º, GFS MOS 4º, GFS raw 3º."

This is so widespread it's hard to pick a spot or area to get a stat for.

Current temps
0° line into Northwest hills of CT now. Freezing line down south

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-temps8.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
forecast calls for -19f
Ouch. Is that the record low.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
-23F for the low temperature forecast here in Madison, WI- but not until Monday morning.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Awesome weather is present and more pure awesomeness is incoming. Bundle up and let the powder and arctic winds fly . Old Man Winter is at last unleashing some real winter weather upon the lower 48; it will be fascinating to see the reaction of people that far south to the same type of weather I would like to be average.

Fellow coldies - our time has come! Mwahahahaha!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM

29,510 posts, read 19,610,114 times
This just in. We could be getting more snow this weekend!

Depending on the track, Chicagoland can get as little as 3 inches (GFS) to near another FOOT (this time southern suburbs favored ) according to the RPM model below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then come the -45 to -50 below zero windchills according to the Euro

GFS -40 below zero and LOWER wind chills for Chicago WOW!

Haven't felt those wind chills since at least 1994, maybe as far back as 1985.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-03-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM

559 posts, read 748,017 times
Nonononono NO!!! This is not what I wanted at all! I went into this winter hoping for a good amount of snow, which we have been getting, but I did NOT want to see any negative temperatures!!! Actually, I don't even care that much about today's cold. I mean it's definitely cold out there tonight but this is just the beginning. The second cold wave is just absolutely ridiculous.

NOAA National Weather Service

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS???? The -7 F Monday night is brutal enough, but a HIGH TEMPERATUREof 4 F on Tuesday?!?!?! FOUR!!! Definitely the coldest air we've had here since the early 1980's, and the coldest I've ever experienced. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we break the lowest maximum temperature record ever for my area. I can't find any data for lowest max temps where I live, but at least for Sussex the lowest high ever was 2 F. It was probably 1 or 2 degrees warmer than that here on that day, which means we can easily break the record on Tuesday. What's crazy is how just 2 weeks ago we set a high!

Well I guess you cold lovers finally got what you wanted. I guess you guys deserve it considering it's been generally warm for a while now. I remember back in July during the heat wave we had, I was really excited for winter to come. But the way this winter is shaping up, I'd much rather have 90 degrees than below zero. Hopefully it warms up soon... at least 40 or so would be nice.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,787 times
Meanwhile in Spain, Murcia in the southeast reached 25.2ºC
El Tiempo. Datos: Región de Murcia - Resúmenes diarios anteriores - Mapa - Temperatura máxima (°C) - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Someone grab the OBS for the cape in MA. Ocean effect snows STILL happening. Just fascinating. Not only are the residents and businesses dealing with the flooding and flash freezes from the ocean waves but they have snow falling all day.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
from the Mt Washington Observatory:

Interesting fact about tonight: A strong inversion (among other factors) is setting up for the overnight hours. If things play out like models are showing, there is a chance that at some point during the overnight hours, the summit of Mount Washington, NH will be the WARMEST (you read that correctly) location in all of NH - a rare feat. Temperatures are expected to be the coldest in the far north of the state at around -35F (-37C) and range to around -5F (-20C) in the south along the coast. The summit on the other hand will be warming to around 0F (-18C) by sunrise. We will continue to keep an eye on the temperatures around the state and let you know if this pans out.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
This just in. We could be getting more snow this weekend!

Depending on the track, Chicagoland can get as little as 3 inches (GFS) to near another FOOT (this time southern suburbs favored ) according to the RPM model below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then come the -45 to -50 below zero windchills according to the Euro

GFS -40 below zero and LOWER wind chills for Chicago WOW!

Haven't felt those wind chills since at least 1994, maybe as far back as 1985.
Also, those wind chills of the past were based on a different formula. The more recent formula produces wind chill temperatures that are not nearly as low with ambient air temperatures exactly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather