Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,963,405 times

Advertisements

They don't seem to get snow in December
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM

83,688 posts, read 76,052,953 times
I can feel the changes coming. One can say "well we've been in this pattern for a while its a given" but I'm actually seeing them. The cold air is more snow/ice pack related than air temp. The arctic air isn't as strong. The atmosphere is getting weak and changing here.

Soon...very soon... we'll go to seasonable with warm shots instead of seasonable and cold shots in the East.

Farmers and home growers are loving this snowpack! Lets hope for a slow melt coming and not rapid flooding

Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,756,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Our local weather blog is show a demise of the Alaskan Ridge in the coming week or two....
I should try to do some winter hiking before it's too late.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can feel the changes coming. One can say "well we've been in this pattern for a while its a given" but I'm actually seeing them. The cold air is more snow/ice pack related than air temp. The arctic air isn't as strong. The atmosphere is getting weak and changing here.
Yep, it feels rather different.

Interestingly, we managed to get the coldest night temperature since early January. Days are nowhere as cold as the worst of January. I can tolerate this, and the snowcover makes it more pleasant. The cold spell in the second half of January was the worst: extremely cold afternoons and barely any snowcover.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,481,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They don't seem to get snow in December
You're right. The seasonal lag there seems pretty significant. It's that way with summer as well. Their hottest month is August. But I would guess it's also caused by December being their driest month, even if January and February aren't much wetter. March has more than twice the number of snowy days as December, but it's slightly warmer. Precipitation is the clearly biggest difference here: March receives more than twice as much precipitation as December.

Tokyo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM

flood advisory north of the Bay Area:

LOCATIONS IN THE ADVISORY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO CORTE
MADERA...FAIRFAX...KENTFIELD...LARKSPUR...LUCAS VALLEY-MARINWOOD...
MILL VALLEY...NOVATO...SAN ANSELMO...SAN RAFAEL...SAUSALITO...
STRAWBERRY...TAMALPAIS-HOMESTEAD VALLEY...TAMALPAIS-HOMESTEAD...
BOYES HOT SPRINGS...COTATI...PETALUMA...ROHNERT PARK...ROSELAND...
SANTA ROSA...SONOMA...KENWOOD AND MARIN CITY.

* AT 744 AM PST AUTOMATED RAINGAGE AND DOPPLER RADAR DATA INDICATED
RAINFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF A HALF INCH PER HOUR MOVING OVER THE
ADVISORY AREA...

EXCESS RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE PONDING OF
WATER IN URBAN AREAS...HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSES AS WELL AS
OTHER POOR DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS. ALSO...SMALL CREEKS
AND STREAMS COULD FLOOD QUICKLY...POSSIBLY COVERING ROADS AND NEARBY
LOW AREAS.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You're right. The seasonal lag there seems pretty significant. It's that way with summer as well. Their hottest month is August. But I would guess it's also caused by December being their driest month, even if January and February aren't much wetter. March has more than twice the number of snowy days as December, but it's slightly warmer. Precipitation is the clearly biggest difference here: March receives more than twice as much precipitation as December.

Tokyo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting, though Dec-Feb are nearly identical precipitation wise. My guess is colder seas, a warm Sea of Japan might make any cold airmass passing through too mild for snow. New York City has nearly the same snowfall in March than December despite March averaging much warmer. February gets double the snow of December even though it's only 2F colder than December

Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,481,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I should try to do some winter hiking before it's too late.
Me too. The snow here is just snow patches, so I wouldn't do it here. But there's roughly 1 foot on the ground in the Poconos. It's supposed to snow lightly there tomorrow throughout the day. (Snow tomorrow night here as well.) This is pretty tempting. I might just go for it.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,515,745 times
Lol, just love how both north and south of me received 1-2". About 1/2" here overnight that melted by noon.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,963,405 times
That happens with me except it is on the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather