Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's kind of neat, to see a lot of snow in the Summer. I assume you visited some cold-summer locales and/or locales that hung onto their big snowpack . Perhaps you could elaborate some more on that.
I saw a lot of snow this summer, much more than this winter. I could post some more photos but they belong in the summer thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post21109134

and page 2 of same thread

this is kinda fun to see in mid-august (I was seeing at least every other day around then):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Same for me, it was in the mountains (Alps). I snowed a bit above 1,500 m (5,000 ft). The day before I was in 34°C weather in lowland.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
A balmy 4.8C/40.6F today with a low temperature of 1.7c/35.0f, the snow is slowly melting

Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

One more "arctic blast" day; we haven't had one since 3 weeks or so. High of 25°F, well below average (38°F), but the low is only a bit below normal. It's 15°F out right now.

Anyone have an idea whether there might be any more cold snaps in the next few weeks? This cold snap was much weaker than some of the models and previous forecasts showed. Snowstorm was a complete bust as well. I'm thinking if another cold blast doesn't come in the next 2 weeks; that'll be our last one of the winter, as the sun will be getting noticeably stronger soon.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Y
I was impressed because the temp on the summit Mt Washinton must be close to the temp of the air mass (850 hPa temps). The fact it cannot trap cold air thanks to temperatre inversions makes it even more impressive than Berlin's record to me, even if it's quite a bit higher. Let's say it was 10°C colder than the 850 mb temp, that would still mean a -35°C air mass. And given the windy reputation of this moutain, it may have felt much more brutal than a "plain" -45°C.
For example France's coldest town is only 930 m (3,050 feet) high and its record low is only 2°C short of Mont Blanc's one (15,000+ feet), -41°C vs -43°C.
Can explain to me why that's impressive? So 850 mb is the pressure at the summit of Mt. Washington. Ok, I think I got it. The -45°C temperature at the summit means the air mass itself must be very cold while -42°C valley temperature is the effect of radiational cooling and temperature inversions.

I didn't realize mountain and valley lows matching were that usual, especially for much larger mountains. Right now, it's -26°C on Mt. Washington with a NW (NW always brings the coldest air) 109 km/h wind gusting to 117 km/h. This is interesting way to see how the temps change with altitude:

Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – Mesonet

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Can explain to me why that's impressive? So 850 mb is the pressure at the summit of Mt. Washington. Ok, I think I got it. The -45°C temperature at the summit means the air mass itself must be very cold while -42°C valley temperature is the effect of radiational cooling and temperature inversions.
850 mb is the mean pressure about 5,000 feet above sea level, so a bit lower than Mt. Washington. The summit must be a few degrees colder than this level. I mentioned it cause 850 mb temps are shown in model maps.

Jan 16, 2004. -42°C/-44°F at the summit, -75C/-103F windchill. The 850 mb temp that day was below -32°C/-26°F (scroll down to have a north hemisphere map):
Meteociel - Archives des analyses NCEP de 1871 aujourd'hui

You can have distinction below -28°C on this website:
Wetter : Wetterzentrale : Top Karten : Archiv Reanalysis - Europa

These are brutal temps in open air. Only limited stretches of the Arctic basin can have such temps at the same time. So seeing these and at Mt. Washington's latitude is quite impressive to me.

Quote:
I didn't realize mountain and valley lows matching were that usual, especially for much larger mountains. Right now, it's -26°C on Mt. Washington with a NW (NW always brings the coldest air) 109 km/h wind gusting to 117 km/h. This is interesting way to see how the temps change with altitude:

Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – Mesonet
Brr.

When it's calm and clear it's not unusual to have 0°C at 1500 m and -5°C at 0 m here, even -10°C when there is snow on the ground. For larger mountains, I'm sure Mont Blanc is always colder than nearby Chamonix, 4,000 metres below. Inversions have their limits.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
That's totally common in the UK - the very coldest temperatures occur in valleys, also known as 'frost hollows'.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
One more "arctic blast" day; we haven't had one since 3 weeks or so. High of 25°F, well below average (38°F), but the low is only a bit below normal. It's 15°F out right now.

Anyone have an idea whether there might be any more cold snaps in the next few weeks? This cold snap was much weaker than some of the models and previous forecasts showed. Snowstorm was a complete bust as well. I'm thinking if another cold blast doesn't come in the next 2 weeks; that'll be our last one of the winter, as the sun will be getting noticeably stronger soon.
Yes, 19th-20th should be the next one. If anything, whats going to happen is, instead of having fridgid winter temps for 2-3 weeks straight, March April could give us weeks of 30s which would be below normal for Spring.

As far as the snowstorm bust.. It didnt happen because dry air got into it AND the system stayed too far Out to sea. You might find it interesting the GFS model had it correct 4-6days out ... then all models had it closer to coast by days 2-4(thats when we all mentioned snowstorm because thats what they showed) then day before they showed it back OTS and less precip.

Here's my post on February 7th(4 days before) that showed the GFS had nothing. Even I sounded like I didnt believe anything would happen with this post. lol
https://www.city-data.com/forum/22877847-post4041.html

Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Today was a wintry day here. Windy with a low of 16 F and a high of only 30 F. Some sun most of the morning, but then it turned overcast and snowed for an hour so. Had a nice coating. I was working outside on and off today and I thoroughly enjoyed the brisk weather. Of course several hours in it wouldn't have been ideal since my eyes would have been tearing up (a nuisance I'm still willing to put up with!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes, 19th-20th should be the next one. If anything, whats going to happen is, instead of having fridgid winter temps for 2-3 weeks straight, March April could give us weeks of 30s which would be below normal for Spring.
I hope we have a cold start to spring.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM

^^ Today was a bit similar, low was 15°F and high was 34°F. Though I fear it was the last wintry day of this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather