Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 11:59 AM

5,279 posts, read 3,182,692 times

Advertisements

Just FYI,
Clallam County has extended its burn ban until further notice according to the fire department.

The burn ban is normally from 7/1 to 10/1 unless extended.
It has been extended until further notice (sorry to repeat myself).

One of my neighbors across the way was burning hard a while ago and I’m like cool the burn ban is over I get to burn a stick pile.
My better half curtly told me that I’m not burning anything until I check with the FD.
I’m very glad she is the smart one .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 12:10 PM

15,054 posts, read 12,694,317 times
Yes still too dry for burn piles yet! But nice here! - we’re still involved in a remodel project on our apartment so we’ve been busy but here is a picture of our goats grazing down on our lower property yesterday. I guess our fall color is maple leaves that have already fallen.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-ca69567d-30b8-41d0-87dc-b67e267985cc.jpeg  

Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 PM

8,265 posts, read 16,926,831 times
Nice day in Vancouver today which started out foggy for the first half. We also had a colorful sunset moonrise combo tonight.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-06-2022 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 01:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,764,276 times
The air is smoky again today, ruining what is perfect weather for hiking. Apparently, the Bolt Creek fire was human caused and is going to burn until the rains put it out (it's just being knocked back at a few of the edges), and there's no rain in the forecast, so we're going to be dealing with poor air quality for at least another week.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The air is smoky again today, ruining what is perfect weather for hiking. Apparently, the Bolt Creek fire was human caused and is going to burn until the rains put it out (it's just being knocked back at a few of the edges), and there's no rain in the forecast, so we're going to be dealing with poor air quality for at least another week.
Mayfair, sorry to hear it. Yes, I've been tracking these fires since I have plans to head to Leavenworth for fall colors soon. But there are a couple nasty fires burning nearby with no rain in the forecast. I think they are taking the same approach. That is, let it burn and keep the edges away from towns/residences. The White River fire has now burned more acres than Bolt Creek fire and is only 10% contained. Its been burning since August 11th. So, lots of smoke over there too.

Here's a good website showing areal views of these fires. Surprising, northern Oregon has fewer fires than WA this year and not much smoke affecting our area in the Portland/Vancouver region.

https://zoom.earth/#view=47.398,-119...ays=heat,fires

Wildfire smoke brings hazardous air quality to Wenatchee area

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-07-2022 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 04:03 PM

204 posts, read 110,848 times
Listened to the Cliff Mass weather podcast this morning, and the long range forecast shows no change in our current warm and dry weather pattern in the foreseeable future. We are getting some nice cool marine fog in the morning, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-311283879_5981826038496628_4253189797250941842_n.jpg  

Old 10-07-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Holbrook View Post
Listened to the Cliff Mass weather podcast this morning, and the long range forecast shows no change in our current warm and dry weather pattern in the foreseeable future. We are getting some nice cool marine fog in the morning, though.
It's the 'endless summer' some have dreamed of. Those who say the PNW only has sun and with no rain for two months out the year must love it This might end up being the warmest, driest October in WA history. I'm assuming some like this dryness and more sun, sun, sun.

I've had enough of those draught conditions while living in CA and was ready for the rain back in September. I wonder if everything will just shift to the right again and we get a nice long rainy spring like last year? I've heard there is the chance of a La Nina which could mean more extreme winters with warmer summers and edge seasons.

Derek

Old 10-08-2022, 06:29 AM

5,279 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Yes, I also had enough of the droughts in California.
I’m ready for a rainy season and a warm wood burning stove to hang out near.

This morning at 4-ish the moon was near full and looked red due to smoke or haze.
It’s glare bounced off the flat water and really lit the area up.

This drought is causing problems with the salmon spawn.
I copied this from a fishing forum I visit.

Wednesday, Oct.5 1 2022

Olympic National Park News Release

Emergency Closure of Recreational Fishing in Most Rivers and Streams of Olympic National Park to Begin on October 6

To protect several fish populations during the ongoing severe low-flow conditions, an emergency closure of recreational fishing will begin on October 6 at 12:01 am. The following river systems within Olympic National Park will close to all recreational fishing until further notice: Ozette, Bogachiel, South Fork Calawah, Sol Duc, North Fork Sol Duc, Dickey, Quillayute, Hoh, South Fork Hoh, Queets, Salmon, and Quinault Rivers (including East Fork, North Fork, Main Stem). Additionally, Cedar, Goodman, Kalaloch, and Mosquito Creeks within Olympic National Park are closed as of 12:01 AM October 6, 2022.

This year’s severe drought conditions have reduced river flows to at or near historic low levels. This emergency closure is designed to protect fish in areas where severe conditions have reduced river flows to historical low levels. Low water conditions may impede upstream spawning migrations and also increase the vulnerability of salmonids to angling as fish concentrate in smaller and smaller pools. The broad application of this closure is necessary to address angling pressure during these extreme low-flow conditions to better protect Pacific salmon, steelhead trout, and federally threatened bull trout in the park’s rivers and creeks. This closure is consistent with our cooperative managers.

Olympic National Park sport fishing regulations for 2022-2023 are available on the park’s website at https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/fishing.htm as well as at park visitor centers, fee booths, ranger stations, and area fishing stores.

There are also shooting closures and restrictions due to fire hazards in many areas.
I am now using portable sprinklers again to water my lawns.

Yes this drought blows.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,764,276 times
We've had sunny Octobers before, but they usually follow a rainy period in September, so this is unusual. The weather all around the world has been unusual, so we're not immune to extremes here in the PNW.

The weather has been gorgeous. I don't know who could complain about 40s-50s at night and 60s- 70s during the day with morning fog and afternoon sun. The fires, drought (affecting the rivers) and poor air quality are something to complain about, though! And the rain will be here eventually and have a long stay.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
We've had sunny Octobers before, but they usually follow a rainy period in September, so this is unusual. The weather all around the world has been unusual, so we're not immune to extremes here in the PNW.

The weather has been gorgeous. I don't know who could complain about 40s-50s at night and 60s- 70s during the day with morning fog and afternoon sun. The fires, drought (affecting the rivers) and poor air quality are something to complain about, though! And the rain will be here eventually and have a long stay.
Certainly the temps are near ideal for most people's preferences. That includes the folks who normally suffer form SAD in the PNW during the wet season. However, when viewed within context of the lack of rain from summer on, yes, its a real problem. It feels like some record must have been set. Maybe the least amount of rain over an extended period of time - 5+ months (June-October).

BTW, I don't want to hear anyone saying they haven't received enough sun this year!! lol

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington