Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

I lived in Adams Morgan in the early 80's. What are livable but not luxurious apartment prices like there now? I lived just north of Columbia Ave. between 18th and 17th for a while and then between 18th and Columbia Ave. a block north of Kalorama I think. I think I've got those boundaries right, give or take. Also, what are modest apartment prices like in the downtown and east Washington areas? When I lived in DC downtown was a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmemmer View Post
I am reading this thread because my 23 year old daughter graduates in July and has accepted a job offer with Equity Residential. She interned there last summer and lived in fairfax. Was really happy with that area, but rent is pretty high . Looking for something less expensive in that portfolio. The cheapest rent for properties in that portfolio are located in Manassas. Have been told we shouldn't really consider that area, not safe. Is Centerville a safe area.
Yes, Centreville is safe, and while Manassas wouldn't be "unsafe", Centreville is generally "nicer".

Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I lived in Adams Morgan in the early 80's. What are livable but not luxurious apartment prices like there now? I lived just north of Columbia Ave. between 18th and 17th for a while and then between 18th and Columbia Ave. a block north of Kalorama I think. I think I've got those boundaries right, give or take. Also, what are modest apartment prices like in the downtown and east Washington areas? When I lived in DC downtown was a dump.
I have a friend in Adams Morgan who paid about $1350 for her studio at 19th & Columbia, and now pays something similar for a small 1-bedroom near 18th & Vernon St NW. Typically, I've found that studio apartments range from $1200-1400, 1-bedrooms from $1300-2000, and 2-bedrooms from $2000-2500, depending on the neighborhood, amenities, and such. Also, the further away from a Metro station you go, the prices often go down.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
DC should go back to the way it was in 1995, at least back then metrorail wasn't congested and music was better (side note)

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
DC should go back to the way it was in 1995, at least back then metrorail wasn't congested and music was better (side note)
Also, the crack and prostitute market was so much better back then. DC has lost its soul.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmemmer View Post
I am reading this thread because my 23 year old daughter graduates in July and has accepted a job offer with Equity Residential. She interned there last summer and lived in fairfax. Was really happy with that area, but rent is pretty high . Looking for something less expensive in that portfolio. The cheapest rent for properties in that portfolio are located in Manassas. Have been told we shouldn't really consider that area, not safe. Is Centerville a safe area.
You'll probably have better luck on the Virginia boards. Those cities don't really have much to do with DC.

I'm biased, of course, but unless your daughter's new job is in Manassas or Centerville, I'd recommend she look in DC or perhaps Arlington. I've found you pay similar prices throughout the region and get a lot less for your money in places like Fairfax. Many new grads do the group house or the studio apartment, but they do tend to enjoy the benefits of the city. Being near the Metro helps.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You'll probably have better luck on the Virginia boards. Those cities don't really have much to do with DC.

I'm biased, of course, but unless your daughter's new job is in Manassas or Centerville, I'd recommend she look in DC or perhaps Arlington. I've found you pay similar prices throughout the region and get a lot less for your money in places like Fairfax. Many new grads do the group house or the studio apartment, but they do tend to enjoy the benefits of the city. Being near the Metro helps.
Huh? I wouldn't go that far. You definitely get more house for the money the further from DC you are. The problem with suburban living is that you often trade bigger house for longer commute. It would depend on where the daughter is working. If the job is in Fairfax then Centreville would be fine.

I used to live out that way in Oakton. I loved the apartment I stayed in but hated living in my car. That's what I love about Arlington I spend no more than 20 minutes in my car for the most part and I'm not filling my gas guzzling SUV every 4 or 5 days. The trade off has been that I live in much smaller space but you adapt and really and truly I keep busy on the weekend that I hardly see my roommates on Saturdays and Fridays.

Also Centreville is a hike to go to social things in the city. If I had a job in Fairfax I would look a place that's inside the beltway between the city and work like Falls Church or good ol' Arlington. Vienna isn't the worst option if one is close to 66. It'd be within 20 minutes of anywhere in Fairfax but also 20 minutes to nightlife in DC or Arlington.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,578 times
Glad to get feedback! my daughter won't have to commute to downtown. She will have to travel to the properties in that portfolio of Equity. She will get an employee discount of 20% off rent if she moves into one of those properties. Before discount, Manassas rent is $870 for 727 square foot. Centerville's cheapest prop rent is $1030. before discount for 749 square foot. Safety is the biggest issue. She runs almost daily and I want to feel that she is safe doing so alone. Btw, we currently pay 325. (after employee discount) for her 1 bedroom apt in Indiana which is 850 square feet. HUGE difference!!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM

127 posts, read 507,094 times
u street corridor
logan circle
dupont circle
columbia heights
shaw

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,578 times
My daughter wound up living in Reston. She works at the property also. Ocass has to drive to other properties (Fairfax, Centerville) We Love it in Reston !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC