Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 94,160 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get along in D.C. without a car and only rely on public transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 AM

50 posts, read 336,273 times
Yes! Choose your neighborhood carefully (a walkable neighborhood by a Metro station, like downtown Silver Spring, MD or Capitol Hill), but I lived in DC for several years without a car and never had a problem. We have a car now, but only use it for the occasional weekend trip. We also have (had, since I think they merged) both flexcar and zipcar if you ever need a car briefly. I found this a useful tool for finding walkable neighborhoods: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods..

Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,087,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McOctopus View Post
Yes! Choose your neighborhood carefully (a walkable neighborhood by a Metro station, like downtown Silver Spring, MD or Capitol Hill), but I lived in DC for several years without a car and never had a problem. We have a car now, but only use it for the occasional weekend trip. We also have (had, since I think they merged) both flexcar and zipcar if you ever need a car briefly. I found this a useful tool for finding walkable neighborhoods: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods..
I checked out this link, and though it's a novel idea and provides some usefull information, it seems to have a crucial flaw. Checking some areas that I'm familiar with, I found that it doesn't take into account the actual walkability of the area, i.e. the streetscape and pedestrian scale. It shows nearby businesses and the distances, which is good, but what good are those when the narrow sidewalk runs right along a four lane road with 50 mph traffic with no safety barrier of landscape or streetside parking, where some parts lack sidewalks all together, and where no drivers even notice cross walks?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM

741 posts, read 2,782,233 times
absolutely in fact I would HIGHLY recommend you do this, although you'll want an escape pod once in awhile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC