Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 AM

11 posts, read 39,630 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what the public transportation is like in DC, just because I know what it is like in Buffalo, NY, where it is hard to locate the right bus, or the people on the bus aren't the greatest, (sorry if that sounds mean, not meant to be.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaink View Post
I was just wondering what the public transportation is like in DC, just because I know what it is like in Buffalo, NY, where it is hard to locate the right bus, or the people on the bus aren't the greatest, (sorry if that sounds mean, not meant to be.)
Well it's probably a lot better, but you're really going to have to narrow down your question a bit. Is there an area you are looking to live? Are you talking bus or bus/subway/heavy rail? There are a lot of different systems here to get you where you want to go, but it varies from 'non-existent' to 'excellent' depending on where you are planning to live and work. Do you have an idea about that?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,657 times
Yeah there's no one answer to give here....depends which lines you're using.

Some bus lines are absolutely intolerable in that they are constantly late, running in bunches with one packed bus and an empty bus directly behind it.

Metro gets reasonably good ratings for safety, cleanliness and reliability, but again depending on your commute you could find it disastrously overcrowded, with lines getting shut down way too often and escalators constantly broken (I've spent way too many hot summer nights hiking up the Dupont escalator).

Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 AM

11 posts, read 39,630 times
I am actually going to be interning near Capitol Hill, and as far as the different methods I had no idea how many Washington actually has, but mainly I meant the subway and the busses

Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,657 times
Well if you live on Cap Hill you've got an advantage over most, because Capitol Hill has three different stops serving three different lines. You can pretty much get anywhere from Eastern Market/Capitol South on the Orange or Blue line, or the Red Line at Union Station.

If you live somewhere else in order to live cheaply, Alexandria or North Arlington along the orange line would be fine.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
If you are going to be interning on the Hill, I would strongly recommend living on the Hill. You'll be surrounded by other staffers and interns and it's quite a bit of fun to be all in close for work and play.

From the Hill you're on the Orange and Blue (House Side) and Red Line + VRE/MARC Trains (Senate side). Buses zip through those areas pretty well.

But if this is just an internship, I'd strongly recommend living on the Hill (even living with a group of other interns to have a built-in social network) to get the full smash of all there is going on up there. Once you get a real job and whatnot, then you can think about finding a house, good schools, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,850 times
The DC Metro is very reliable. It connects MD and VA to DC. However, get ready to pay. A one way ticket from the last stop of the red line to the DC area can cost you $4.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
The subway is one of the best systems in the nation. It's very clean, used by all socio-economic classes, and usually pretty darn efficient. Look it up online. DC's a far more European-styled city than Buffalo (which is VERY American).

It's not as convenient as NYC in terms of frequency of stops, but you can live there without a car and be perfectly happy (often, a lot happier than people who depend on their car).

Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
If you are going to be interning on the Hill, I would strongly recommend living on the Hill. You'll be surrounded by other staffers and interns and it's quite a bit of fun to be all in close for work and play.
-- <PenguinSix>

Let me just endorse that sentiment. If these are your circumstances, it would be almost criminal not to follow this advice. You'll make plenty of money out there in the future somewhere. You'd never have the chance to make up for the experience you would be missing...both personal and professional. Take the plunge...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
The DC Metro is very reliable. It connects MD and VA to DC. However, get ready to pay. A one way ticket from the last stop of the red line to the DC area can cost you $4.
Keep in mind that all goverment and many in-town private employers participate in Metro's SmartBenefits program. It will pick up as much as the first $115 per month (tax free) in mass transit commuting costs, including Metro, bus, VRE, MARC, vanpools, etc. Worth asking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC