Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,832 times

Advertisements

I've seen several other posts regarding top areas recommended to live in, but I'd appreciate some thoughts on the safety of the following neighborhoods:

(1) H Street, L Street, or M Street around 11th St
(2) Logan Circle
(3) Chinatown
(4) Penn Quarter

Would you advise a single female to stay away from these areas?

Also, any thoughts on the safety of basement apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYlaw View Post
I've seen several other posts regarding top areas recommended to live in, but I'd appreciate some thoughts on the safety of the following neighborhoods:

(1) H Street, L Street, or M Street around 11th St
(2) Logan Circle
(3) Chinatown
(4) Penn Quarter

Would you advise a single female to stay away from these areas?
Assuming you mean 11th Street, NW (you have to specify the quadrant when writing DC addresses), none of these is very much cause for concern. (3) and (4) are actually the same place, but quite nice whatever you call it, and you'll find plenty of single females already living in all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYlaw View Post
Also, any thoughts on the safety of basement apartments?
The worse neighborhood they are in, the less safe they are. Obviously, they are typically accessible from street level, so you'd want some forms of security in place that you wouldn't need if you were up three flights of stairs instead, but a nice basement place in a pleasant neighborhood can be a very nice life indeed...

Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Honestly there really is no way to properly answer this to your satisfaction because we're not entirely sure about your tolerance levels for crime and a few other things. What I'd recommend is that you take a look at the DC Police Department's 'crime map' and take a look at the four areas you mentioned and see what sort of crime occurred in the last 6 months. Compare that to some other areas of DC (say upper NW, like 5000 45th Street, NW) or Georgetown or, if possible, the area you are living today.

Crime can happen anywhere in DC. People have been killed in Georgetown, bought drugs across from the White House, and Congressman have been mugged walking by the Supreme Court. And people are killed in the suburbs too. It's best to just get a look at the facts and then make your own conclusions.

Good luck

Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/query.asp - broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,029 times
This is a really awsome crime map from the washington post that someone posted on another thread yesterday. You can zoom in and out, and it covers the VA and MD suburbs too.

Crime in Washington, DC

Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,316 times
stay away from the area'a that have "S.E" or N.E." on the street sign

if you are visit pg county, stay away from cities that has the name "heights" or "hills" in it

Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM

60 posts, read 449,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post

if you are visit pg county, stay away from cities that has the name "heights" or "hills" in it
Seriously, come on...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Taken a ride through Capitol Hill or Eastern Market lately? You do realize which quadrants those are in, right...

Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM

16 posts, read 67,731 times
Quote:

i live just north of h street (up towards florida ave), and i have rarely felt threatened. this is a great area where people actually interact with each other. i think brookland is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC