Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times

Advertisements

All of these escalator outages pose a major god damn safety threat. If there was a terrorist attack or a fire or anything bad really, a lot of people would die simply because they wouldn't be able to get out of the station quickly enough. Remember the Dupont Circle farce a few weeks ago? The floor of the station where the escalators were was completely packed since two were out of service... and that wasn't even an emergency situation.

WMATA needs to be sued, or maybe have an Iraq pulled on them. Take out every person in charge and put someone new in there, preferably with brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,718,147 times
Since, when have people been unable to walk up steps?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Since, when have people been unable to walk up steps?
Since they started making escalators.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,718,147 times
I understand the OP's concern but I think evacuating with escalator or not is a safety risk for people being trampled. Just saying, that as long as they can us the escalator as steps, i see no room for a lawsuit.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,888 times
put yourself at the end of the line of 200 people.

Then take out the one up escalator that isn't working, and use it as the only staricase out.

When you figure out how long that takes... get back to us...

This is also why I try to stay away from riding metro as much as possible.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Since they started making escalators.
Exactly.

Considering that people can evacuate a station faster by walking or running on a moving escalator than by merely standing still on one, what big difference does it make if the escalator doesn't move at all? People with mobility issues who can walk and would slow down faster people by walking slowly on a stopped escalator would still slow down faster people by standing stationary on a moving escalator.

If one is willing to sue WMATA over this bogus excuse, then they'd better sue every high rise that shuts off elevators in the event of fire, because they haven't installed escalators to evacuate people. How do buildings evacuate? Stairs!

EDIT: Ok, I realize that one scenario is going UP, and the other going DOWN, but exiting a Metro station on foot really isn't more arduous than going down 10 or more flights of stairs. If you have fitness issues with the one, you'd have fitness issues with the other. And plenty of the world's subway systems don't have plentiful, or any, escalators.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Actually, the real problem is people walking on the escalators. That's what causes them to break down. The "stand on your right walk on left" custom/rule whatever it is is just darn dangerous. It's so dangerous, in fact, that Japan has banned all walking on escalators:

Walking on escalators banned in Japan | CNNGo.com

Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
The issue is that they close off these escalators for months at a time. They're somewhat advanced machines, yes, but they're not space shuttles. They're not just out of service but actually cordoned off, creating a huge bottleneck. Obviously they need to be blocked off while being repaired, but the repairs take ages.

This might shed some light on my stance:

Unsuck DC Metro: Bethesda Riders Rejoice ... Briefly

don't forget the debacle at Foggy Bottom as well. The sad thing is that without these fare hikes we probably would have WORSE service. As it is we just get the same sometimes good sometimes awful service.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,568,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Actually, the real problem is people walking on the escalators.
LOL, where is your evidence for that?

Actually, the REAL problems are that many of Metro's escalators are 1) huge, and require enormous engines to operate, and 2) very backlogged in terms of needed service and repair. The maintenance backlog at Metro is astounding--it's got nothign to do with people moving on the escalators. I have no idea why that is such a fixation for you.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
LOL, where is your evidence for that?

Actually, the REAL problems are that many of Metro's escalators are 1) huge, and require enormous engines to operate, and 2) very backlogged in terms of needed service and repair. The maintenance backlog at Metro is astounding--it's got nothign to do with people moving on the escalators. I have no idea why that is such a fixation for you.
The article I posted says Japan banned walking on them because it's too dangerous. Japan has a superior subway system--WMATA should imitate what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC