Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,406,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
The charter governs WMATA. They very much "have to do the maintenance".
Do you understand what it means to have a monopoly over a service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That's fine, but I'm just wondering why you're so fixated by this. Why not jaywalking? Or people who proceed too quickly through revolving doors? People who don't to come to full stops at stop signs? Or who don't drive with their hands in the 10 and 2 position?

Why escalator walking? Is there so little to occupy one's time in Orlando that one is forced to spend time pondering the escalator riding habits of the residents of far-away cities?
Well, I'm not really fixated it on it, but if someone else starts a thread on it, I will respond with my views like everyone else

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,571,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Do you understand what it means to have a monopoly over a service?
That's completely irrelevant to this discussion. WMATA is a governmental agency; it is not a for-profit institution. Its charter is not to make money; its charter is to provide transit services. It answers to a Board of Directors named by the three jurisdictions in which Metro operates (MD, VA and DC). The Board of Directors holds Metro accountable for its operations, which includes maintenance and operations of the system. It is responsible for all maintenance throughout the system. Metro's leadership is held accountable for derelictions in such duties--witness the recent ouster of its former head, John Catoe.

I am incapable of breaking this down for you any further than this. The level of ignorance you possess with regards to all things DC-related makes me question whether you ever lived in this city; it's practically impossible to believe.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,571,357 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not really fixated it on it
Perhaps "obsessed" would have been a more appropriate choice of words.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That's completely irrelevant to this discussion. WMATA is a governmental agency; it is not a for-profit institution. Its charter is not to make money; its charter is to provide transit services. It answers to a Board of Directors named by the three jurisdictions in which Metro operates (MD, VA and DC). The Board of Directors holds Metro accountable for its operations, which includes maintenance and operations of the system. It is responsible for all maintenance throughout the system. Metro's leadership is held accountable for derelictions in such duties--witness the recent ouster of its former head, John Catoe.

I am incapable of breaking this down for you any further than this. The level of ignorance you possess with regards to all things DC-related makes me question whether you ever lived in this city; it's practically impossible to believe.
Well okay, you're entitled to your point of view. How WMATA is structured is beside teh point--my point is that they have a monopoly over ridership and unless people sprout wings and don't need Metro anymore, they can pretty much get away with anything they want (or don't want to do, like maintenance). There aren't multiple subways competing where the bad ones will be driven out of business.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,527 times
Well the solution seems clear. Lets start a "stand on the left" campaign. Problem solved.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

306 posts, read 702,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
All of these escalator outages pose a major god damn safety threat. If there was a terrorist attack or a fire or anything bad really, a lot of people would die simply because they wouldn't be able to get out of the station quickly enough. Remember the Dupont Circle farce a few weeks ago? The floor of the station where the escalators were was completely packed since two were out of service... and that wasn't even an emergency situation.

WMATA needs to be sued, or maybe have an Iraq pulled on them. Take out every person in charge and put someone new in there, preferably with brains.
Suing them wouldn't help. They are already out of money, which is why the escalators are always broken -- that's my guess anyway. I do, however, feel so bad for the tourists who have to walk down the massive flight of Dupont Metro stairs when the escalator is out. It's not fair to older people with leg problems or children. I mean, the short escalators getting up or down to a platform aren't a big deal, but the Dupont Q Street entrance is ridiculously long. (It's been broken the past two weeks and also pisses me off when I'm commuting to work, but oh well.)

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM

306 posts, read 702,474 times
Quote:
Actually, the real problem is people walking on the escalators. That's what causes them to break down. The "stand on your right walk on left" custom/rule whatever it is is just darn dangerous. It's so dangerous, in fact, that Japan has banned all walking on escalators:

Walking on escalators banned in Japan | CNNGo.com
That article says walking on escalators hasn't been banned. Nice reading comprehension.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 AM

113 posts, read 190,518 times
The is only one way to fix this mess and that is to privatize the service. Some of the most efficient train services I have used around the world are privatized, with both their efficiency and quality demonstrating the positive of doing so.

Last time I saw trains and stations as old as they are here, was in the 70s. It's like a time warp using the DC Metro.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Well the solution seems clear. Lets start a "stand on the left" campaign. Problem solved.
That's already been addressed--standing to the left causes an imbalanced load (more wear and tear, messes up alignment)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC