Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

WMATA proposes fare hike, eliminating "peak of the peak" - Greater Greater Washington

Not only would it be more expensive overall, but farecards will cost a flat fee. $4 off-peak, $6 peak.

Meanwhile, stuff is falling apart such as brakes falling off of trains. What the hell?!? And apparently this hike is to cover increased costs... 50% of which are due to labor and benefits.

What a god damn joke of an agency. I really hope I get a job soon so I can buy my own car and never be forced to deal with this POS again. The other day I wanted to go to College Park but I decided not to. Why? 30 minute delays on the Red Line and 15 minute delays on the Green Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,885,212 times
They can shove it. I just realized I can take 2 rideon buses (for free w/ my ID!) to get to class on the same amount of time I use to take metro.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,683 times
My monthly expenses will increase by $3-$4. This is only less than... well, every single other annual expense increase in my life. I will calibrate my outrage accordingly: Meh.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM

229 posts, read 515,344 times
Blame our gutless leaders, for - yet again - obstructing the pathway of technology to improve our way of life and for pandering to labor unions. ATOs (Automatic Train Operation) have been around for over 40 years, with some countries already having fully implemented a manless train system for public transportation purposes. NYC is on the verge of dedicating one of their lines to an automated train. An iconic city like New York, just now able to dedicate one of their lines to a nearly half-century old piece of technology. What does that tell you?

Last edited by HumbleSeaGoat; 01-10-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Blame our gutless leaders, for - yet again - obstructing the pathway of technology to improve our way of life. ATOs (Automatic Train Operation) have been around for over 40 years, with some countries already having fully implemented a manless train system for public transportation purposes. NYC is on the verge of dedicating one of their lines for an automated train. An iconic city like New York, just now able to dedicate one of their lines for nearly a half-century old technology. What does that tell you?
The real advancement is remote work technologies........I would love to see more of that!!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
If we want a reliable Metro system we have to fund it adequately. We haven't been doing that so fare have to increase.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Blame our gutless leaders, for - yet again - obstructing the pathway of technology to improve our way of life and for pandering to labor unions. ATOs (Automatic Train Operation) have been around for over 40 years, with some countries already having fully implemented a manless train system for public transportation purposes. NYC is on the verge of dedicating one of their lines to an automated train. An iconic city like New York, just now able to dedicate one of their lines to a nearly half-century old piece of technology. What does that tell you?
Metro used ATO (although an operator was still present, which I think is good actually. they just need to be paid less or have less generous benefits) until the Red Line crash in 2009. The crash occurred partly due to ATO failure and partly due to operator negligence if I'm not mistaken, and so now they've been spending the past 2.5 years trying to upgrade all of the track circuits.

Back in the day the trains even pulled in to the center of the platform instead of the end of the platform, so you didn't have the crazy mob rushes of people like you see nowadays on platforms like Gallery Place.

@dcforever NYC's subway somehow seems to get by fine despite its low fare.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

@dcforever NYC's subway somehow seems to get by fine despite its low fare.
Yeah the escalators are always working on NY subway stations.....

Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,798 times
well at least Harry Thomas can't get his hands on this money to buy his motorcyles and trips to the bahamas

Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Yeah the escalators are always working on NY subway stations.....
DC escalators know how to get the job done

D.C. Escalator Malfunctions Spilling Crowd Into Lobby - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC