Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,702,368 times

Advertisements

All the information on here was based off the first meeting back in October of last year. Skim through it and you'll see what they're suggesting:

http://planitmetro.com/wp-content/up...2010-FINAL.pdf

And there was another meeting in May of this year. Again, skim through it and you'll see what they're suggesting. This one has more potential expansions listed than the previous:

http://planitmetro.com/wp-content/up...07_Meeting.pdf

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,086,939 times
I clicked on those links, but my PC could not access them.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:13 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,269,143 times
It definitely looks like the fantasy maps that people often create. Maybe they drew inspiration from them, or maybe they are in the first stages of seriously making the system eliminate the use of cars.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,703,982 times
Would be nice if it happened in my lifetime but let's be real, it won't. They started building Metro in 1969 and didn't finish building all the stations from the original plan until 2001. I realize it was a gigantic project but god damn that took a long time.

I can just imagine the looks on people's faces who lived out in PG county. "Subway coming to the Suitland and Camp Springs areas!" "...but probably not for 30 years"

At least the Silver Line is going a bit more quickly, although I keep hearing about how the extension out to Dulles might get the axe depending on the costs. Great

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
At least the Silver Line is going a bit more quickly, although I keep hearing about how the extension out to Dulles might get the axe depending on the costs. Great
Maybe we should get Spain to help us out

Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Would be nice if it happened in my lifetime but let's be real, it won't. They started building Metro in 1969 and didn't finish building all the stations from the original plan until 2001. I realize it was a gigantic project but god damn that took a long time.

I can just imagine the looks on people's faces who lived out in PG county. "Subway coming to the Suitland and Camp Springs areas!" "...but probably not for 30 years"

I don't think you'll be seeing anymore subway extensions..... Not that you need them , if you just enhanced your regional Rail service and merged MARC and VRE together creating through lines you can solve your Metro over crowding issues. Add more stations , more service = more riders , less stress on the metro.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't think you'll be seeing anymore subway extensions..... Not that you need them , if you just enhanced your regional Rail service and merged MARC and VRE together creating through lines you can solve your Metro over crowding issues. Add more stations , more service = more riders , less stress on the metro.
Compared to other parts of the NEC, the amount of rail lines that we have here is a joke. Now if we had an adequate amount of lines, your idea would have merit.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Compared to other parts of the NEC, the amount of rail lines that we have here is a joke. Now if we had an adequate amount of lines, your idea would have merit.
You do have alot of lines , you just don't use them.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You do have alot of lines , you just don't use them.
Let's look at Northern Virginia for example. Where else besides the RF&P Subdivision and the Washington to Atlanta Main Line could commuter rail run?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM

This is a follow-up to my OP. Images come from both PlanItMetro and Greater Greater Washington respectively.

Separate Yellow Line alignments:

Separate Blue Lines:

Separate Silver Line:

Brown Line:

Beltway Line:

Extensions and Spurs:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC