Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,761,586 times

Advertisements

they ought to have Honda design some engines for the escalators. I have a feeling that whoever designed the current ones are the escalator equivalent of GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,605,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
The article I posted says Japan banned walking on them because it's too dangerous. Japan has a superior subway system--WMATA should imitate what they're doing.
That's not what I asked you. You stated: "The real problem is people walking on the escalators. That's what causes them to break down." And I asked you for evidence to support that claim.

So...?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
they ought to have Honda design some engines for the escalators. I have a feeling that whoever designed the current ones are the escalator equivalent of GM.
A lot of the escalator engines are very old--in excess of 20 years. And many of them operate outdoors, so the abuse they take is substantial.

I can understand that maintenance is going to be required; what I find frustrating is that for years Metro put off much-needed maintenance, and now they're forced to shut down half the escalators in the system at once to make up for it. The planning has simply been abysmal.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,761,586 times
Then they should be sued for putting off much-needed maintenance. That neglect killed 9 people a year ago.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Then they should be sued for putting off much-needed maintenance. That neglect killed 9 people a year ago.
I'm pretty sure they are being sued for that. The NTSB report was quite damning; I would imagine they're going to be paying out substantially on that incident.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,428,552 times
How much of it is really WMATA's fault though, vs. riders who abuse the escalators, or use them improperly.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
How much of it is really WMATA's fault though, vs. riders who abuse the escalators, or use them improperly.
It's WMATA's responsibility to maintain their escalators. Are you suggesting that riders should chip in and help the maintenance crew?

And you've yet to show how "improper" escalator use has contributed to problems with the system. Your fixation on this issue is simply bizarre.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM

331 posts, read 908,840 times
I'm still wondering why Wheaton and Forest Glen we're built so damn deep. No body of water is nearby so I don't get it. What in the world is underground between Silver Spring and Glenment that caused them to build them so deep. If can emergency we're to happen i'd take forever to get out of the station, Forest Glen has no escalators because its too deep but it does have 6 high speed elevators that'll take you to the surface in about 10 seconds. But if a power failure we're to happen and the tracks are inaccessible then people have to walk up flights of emergency stairs to get up 200 feet to the mezz. Then Wheaton on the other hand, those escalators just cant be walked up if stopped, you'd faint.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,428,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It's WMATA's responsibility to maintain their escalators. Are you suggesting that riders should chip in and help the maintenance crew?

And you've yet to show how "improper" escalator use has contributed to problems with the system. Your fixation on this issue is simply bizarre.
I'm talking about people running down the escalator. That's what's creating wear and tear and damages the system, leading to the breakdowns. If people would just stand still and wait the extra five minutes a lot of this would not be happening. Did you read the link about Tokyo I posted?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about people running down the escalator. That's what's creating wear and tear and damages the system, leading to the breakdowns. If people would just stand still and wait the extra five minutes a lot of this would not be happening.
Do you understand the difference between safety and maintenance?

The Metro escalators are old and poorly maintained. They're breaking down. It's got nothing to do with people walking on them, that's just something you've made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC