Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
There is a MOM's Organic Market in Waldorf, not sure how good they are. The others I have been in were good, sort of like Trader Joe's.

Mom's is good, I patronize them, but no Food Bar like Whole Foods or products like ravioli you find in Trader Joe's or giant bakery as in Wegman's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 AM

421 posts, read 287,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Almost? Area: 458 sq mi 154,747 people (2014)
Bethesda (for one other example) is 13sq mi with 60,000 people.

I don't understand,you compared a whole county with one city"How does Bethesda compared to Waldorf"?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Mom's is good, I patronize them, but no Food Bar like Whole Foods or products like ravioli you find in Trader Joe's or giant bakery as in Wegman's...
Mom's in very good but small.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:23 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
I don't understand,you compared a whole county with one city"How does Bethesda compared to Waldorf"?
Comparison of population density. Directed at poster who said something on the order of Charles County is "almost" rural (newsflash kids, all three Southern Maryland counties are rural. They also have a veneer of wealth that hides some very poor people and largeish areas of rural poverty).

Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Comparison of population density. Directed at poster who said something on the order of Charles County is "almost" rural (newsflash kids, all three Southern Maryland counties are rural. They also have a veneer of wealth that hides some very poor people and largeish areas of rural poverty).

No the poster never said almost rural. It was in response to the claim that Charles county is a poor county and it isn't and never has been nor has St.Mary's or Calvert.All three counties are building up with the over flow from PG but St.Marys still has some very rural area's compared to Charles or Calvert.Won't deny that there is poverty in all three counties but I disagree with your take that it is "largish areas of rural poverty"

Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Mom's in very good but small.

"is" , sorry.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
No the poster never said almost rural. It was in response to the claim that Charles county is a poor county and it isn't and never has been nor has St.Mary's or Calvert.All three counties are building up with the over flow from PG but St.Marys still has some very rural area's compared to Charles or Calvert.Won't deny that there is poverty in all three counties but I disagree with your take that it is "largish areas of rural poverty"
Reread it again.

And yeah, all three Southern Maryland counties were considered poor until the 1970s, Calvert was the first or second poorest in the State for decades until Calvert Cliffs came on-line. St. Mary's wasn't far behind and didn't start changing until you started having massive numbers of contractors working at NAS PAX. Charles started changing when St. Charles was being planned.

You may disagree about rural poverty, but you're wrong. Get off 4 in Calvert or 5 in Charles and hit some of the back roads.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Reread it again.

And yeah, all three Southern Maryland counties were considered poor until the 1970s, Calvert was the first or second poorest in the State for decades until Calvert Cliffs came on-line. St. Mary's wasn't far behind and didn't start changing until you started having massive numbers of contractors working at NAS PAX. Charles started changing when St. Charles was being planned.

You may disagree about rural poverty, but you're wrong. Get off 4 in Calvert or 5 in Charles and hit some of the back roads.

I have and as I said in the post ,not saying there isn't any just not what you claim ..All so to correct you in the 70's and before Charles county was known as the Las Vegas of the East.Farming was the main business of all three counties and yes they all went threw a rough patch when tobacco stopped being the number one source of income.Have lived in Charles since 1979 ,my job had my territory as all of Charles ,St,Mary's and Calvert and half of PG been down 4,5,301,6,Crain Hwy and many others....hundreds of time literally.

https://ldawkins.wordpress.com/2011/...minders-today/

Stardust Inn, Waldorf, MD, USA Concert Setlists | setlist.fm

And.........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ling082996.htm

Last edited by Blue Sunday; 06-01-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM

If you've been here that long then you know why the Tri-County Council was formed. It had nothing to do with tobacco. Vegas of the East? Yeah. The counties were still poor.

Look at some historical records of the area.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 06-01-2017 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
If you've been here that long then you know why the Tri-County Council was formed. It had nothing to do with tobacco. Vegas of the East? Yeah. The counties were still poor.

Look at some historical records of the area.

I have ,check my links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland