Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times

Advertisements

Belcrest office has way too much space for lease. I wouldn't anticipate any new office development there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I drive by this development all the time since I live in the area, actually I drove by there this afternoon. I'll admit I thought it was a bit boring at first, but now I think it looks really nice. I posted some photos...

Sort of a faux industrial look. It grows on you.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 16,415 times
Default Opinion on these options??

Hi all,

Maybe this is misplaced on this thread, but it seems you all are familiar with this area, so I thought I would ask. I am looking at those complexes around the Prince Georges Plaza Metro - Post Park, Mosaic at Metro, the new 3350 at Alterra that they're building.... I just got a new job in downtown DC and me and the man are looking to move from way out here in the burbs (Montgomery Village) to be a quick, metro commute into Gallery Place. Alterra seems to be our top choice.

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We want to live in a diverse neighborhood, we're a mixed-race couple, both working professionals. However, we're hoping to avoid having too much craziness, partying, or crime around - y'know, like most people. I would be walking from the apartment to the metro each day to get to and from work (I'm a woman, but after living in Philly and Boston for years, can handle myself quite well).

Thanks for any constructive opinions!

M

Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3733 View Post
Hi all,

Maybe this is misplaced on this thread, but it seems you all are familiar with this area, so I thought I would ask. I am looking at those complexes around the Prince Georges Plaza Metro - Post Park, Mosaic at Metro, the new 3350 at Alterra that they're building.... I just got a new job in downtown DC and me and the man are looking to move from way out here in the burbs (Montgomery Village) to be a quick, metro commute into Gallery Place. Alterra seems to be our top choice.

Anyone have any thoughts on the area? We want to live in a diverse neighborhood, we're a mixed-race couple, both working professionals. However, we're hoping to avoid having too much craziness, partying, or crime around - y'know, like most people. I would be walking from the apartment to the metro each day to get to and from work (I'm a woman, but after living in Philly and Boston for years, can handle myself quite well).

Thanks for any constructive opinions!

M
Well, this area is about as diverse as you can get. Don't have the time go into much detail, but you'll be fine. Lots of police presence in the area (due to the mall) and you basically never hear about significant crime in that part of town. I never feel unsafe around there and I've never felt unsafe walking around there, even in previous years where crime was sort of sketchy. There really aren't many residences between the new development and the metro. It's literally a mall and surrounding shops and then the metro. On the other side of the mall, there's a high rise which is a multi-university college dorm. Again, not really any issues with those kids as far as I know, and it's also on the complete opposite side of the new development. I looked at the floor plans for Alterra and I would sell my grandmother up the river to live there!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 16,415 times
Thanks so much for your feedback! That's really helpful. I had heard some conflicting advice (I'm relatively new to the whole DC area - just moved down here about 6 months ago), and I'm finding that people call areas 'dicey' but often times, that really just means 'non-white' and doesn't actually reflect crime, so I was hoping for some actually insight.

The floorplans are great!!! Best value around DC as far as I can find... Thank you again!!!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
About 6 years behind schedule. Better late than never right?

Quote:
Prince George’s County officials joined ECHO Realty executives Wednesday morning at a groundbreaking ceremony for a retail center anchored by a Safeway store on East-West Highway, at the front door of the University Town Center. The Pittsburgh-based real estate company is kicking off construction of a $25 million development that includes a 55,105-square-foot Safeway and other retail and office space at East-West Highway and America Boulevard. The grocery store will serve as an anchor for the development and will draw more people to the center, county officials said.

Work begins on Safeway project meant to revitalize Hyattsville’s University Town Center - The Washington Post

Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM

A video on the Safeway groundbreaking with a nice insider history of how UTC retail failed. Video also includes speech by Rashurn Baker and others.

University Town Center New Safeway Groundbreaking 5 7 14 - YouTube

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Good news! The council has approved the new McDonalds in Hyattsville at the Home Depot WITHOUT a drive-thru. Chik-Fil-A also desires a drive-thru in the parking lot of the mall. That should also be denied based on the McDonalds decision. That area is too dense, is within 1/4 mil of a metro station, and has enough pedestrians to support fast food restaurants without drive-thrus.

http://hyattsvillelife.com/county-ap...drive-through/

Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A video on the Safeway groundbreaking with a nice insider history of how UTC retail failed. Video also includes speech by Rashurn Baker and others.

University Town Center New Safeway Groundbreaking 5 7 14 - YouTube

Dirt has finally been moved for the new Gateway at University Town Center

Construction Underway At The Gateway At University Town Center - The Business Journals

Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Default New Hyattsville Library

What do you think should happen to the Hyattsville Library? some people want to preserve the "historical aspect" of the library and only do a renovation instead of a complete rebuild. I say it's preservationists run amok. There is nothing appealing about 60s institutional architecture. Sure, keep the saucer. It's cool and kids like it, but ditch the building. It had a horrible design.

And a word to the developers, a smaller library is ideal? Do they know how many new families will move into the area is just 5 years from nearby projects? Keep the same size please. They want to go from 62,000 sgft to 35,000 sqft. Granted digital books are talking over, but still.

Quote:
According to the preliminary sketches, all three options do preserve the iconic saucer feature. However local group Save Our Saucer, says it is not just after “saving the saucer,” but seeks a renovation that preserves the whole facility’s historic character while accommodating modern and future needs.
Community members also questioned why the new library would be around half the size of the current 62,000 sqft building; the response from G + P was that the existing library is simply too big for the community, and despite statements about significant growth in the Hyattsville area, that a much smaller library would allow the county to economize on systems, staffing, and programmatic costs.
Library input tour continues, preliminary sketches revealed | Hyattsville Life & Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland