Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,302,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Well, crap. Does that make me a manly girl?????

I drive stick and work on my car.

Sounds like a real car nut/ gearhead to me. Nothing at all wrong with you! BTW, I've enjoyed everytime I 've been to The Strip by you. No,not that world famous one, it's the one on the east side of town!Right next to the Nascar track and Shelby.

(post #100)https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ize-chevy.html

Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Who'd have thought the stick shift could actually serve as a security device?! LOL It's the "new" club.

roflmao!!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
A million miles isn't as uncommon as you'd think. This truck was still going at 1.4 million:
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 - Cummins Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

And that is just a spinkling of the diesels that have topped 1 million miles. that is why my dually trucks are always diesels

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,392,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
...WHy doesn't VW make a diesel, pick up truck, just regular size, stick shift. I'd totally buy that.
I drive a few VW diesel pickups. Circa 1978-1983, not exactly 'regular' size, but I frequently tow with it, and have transported 2000# several times. Check out Roger's cargo in the right hand pic (full sized milling machine!!) Project: Caddy Shack-II I have hauled a few lathes and a 2000# bucket for my monster Bobcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The longevity of the diesels is the key to their cost savings. Some of the diesel pickups go a million plus miles on the original engine ...
There are many 1st gen Dodge w/ cummins ('88 - 93) that have over 1M, I think one over 3M. (my 1963 Studebaker w/ 4-53 Detroit had 3 million miles on it)

The highest mileage TDI I have seen was 550k, and still getting 50 mpg (96 Passat). I'm sure there are ones that are higher, I have many with over 300k (I have 28 diesel VW's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In general VW automatics are not the most long-lived, trouble free slushboxes out there.

Me, I'd definitely get the manual in this car.
VW automatic Trannies are not great (german engineers probably have never driven an automatic, and they despise girly boy's who do!!) (So I learned while working as an engineer in Germany...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Looks pretty good to me all the way around but am wondering what the actual fuel mileage is and how it works for you.

I would love to have something that gets over 40 mpg on the highway.
As noted PLEASE get a manual if you want economy and reliability. Unfortunately, many Passat drivers are being forced to Automatic, as Passat TDI's don't come w/ manual (I've heard all North America TDI's will be automatics in the near future) I am currently looking to making some Passat GLX wagons into 5 spd TDI's, It is a common swap amongst us B4 TDI owners ('96 & 97 Passats) as the very few TDI wagons have many miles on them. We are a loyal bunch as we get 48-52 mpg @ 75mph running AC AND we have 25 gal tanks = 1250 mile range !!! (be careful to not drink too much as you only have to stop every 20 hrs!). I drove from Portland, OR to Moab, UT w/o stopping in one of my sedans (18 gal tank ~ 1000 miles)

I don't have anything newer than '97, nor have I ever paid more than $2000 for my VW's. (many I have gotten for $35.00 > $100.00) I like the economy of spare parts, ($6 for tie rods, ball jts, hoses. $12 for timing belt, $16 for water pump, brakes, wheel bearings...) I have never been stranded and I have some real BEATERS!!

50 mpg since 1976, Where have you been? (no OPEC or Dinosaurs required)

Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,048,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow. Thank you for sharing that gem that overflows from your vast depths of genius.

Of course, maybe what you could do is just prove me wrong - rather than make snide comments because you got your butt whipped in some other threads.

wow...

I just gave you a complement...

and this is how you react?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,752,861 times
Quote:
And you're still going to claim that you're "saving loads of money" by buying and driving TDIs.
Actually, "saving loads of money" are your words I never said anything of the sort.
I did post my "real world" mileage which is what the original poster wanted to know.

Quote:
And you still don't seem to catch the fact that #1 and blended fuel is more expensive, and less efficient, than #2 fuel. If you know as much as you claim to know about diesels, you'd know that what you're claiming is wrong. And don't kid yourself. While your daddy may drive trucks, it's obvious that you don't.
Where I live #2 diesel or in some places bio-diesel is the only fuel available. Fuel prices fluctuate all the time I don't pay that much attention. I just fill the tank and pay.
You must have me confused with someone else. You might try crossword puzzles it will help sharpen you mind and fend off the brain fade you are experiencing.
My "daddy" has been retired since 84 and he never drove a truck, but I'm sure you already knew that. It was obvious wasn't it?

Quote:
But hey, it's all good. If you can convince yourself that you're getting rich by buying and driving TDIs, you're happy.
Again, you seem confused. I never said anything about getting rich. Here's some good advice, make sure you always carry an ID, so when they find you wondering the streets cause you can't remember where you live, it will make it easier to get you back home.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,746,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Actually, "saving loads of money" are your words I never said anything of the sort.
I did post my "real world" mileage which is what the original poster wanted to know.

Where I live #2 diesel or in some places bio-diesel is the only fuel available. Fuel prices fluctuate all the time I don't pay that much attention. I just fill the tank and pay.
You must have me confused with someone else. You might try crossword puzzles it will help sharpen you mind and fend off the brain fade you are experiencing.
My "daddy" has been retired since 84 and he never drove a truck, but I'm sure you already knew that. It was obvious wasn't it?

Again, you seem confused. I never said anything about getting rich. Here's some good advice, make sure you always carry an ID, so when they find you wondering the streets cause you can't remember where you live, it will make it easier to get you back home.
Isn't it interesting that somebody who claims to be a truck driver also claims that "round these parts" #2 diesel or bio-diesel is all you can buy. Sure enough, bio-diesel is BIG in the Northeast, and you can't buy blended fuel up there.

Yeah right.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,746,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
wow...

I just gave you a complement...

and this is how you react?
I have to wonder if you know as little about working on 8Ns, that you claim to work on, as you know about diesels. Do you need me to come put your old Ford back together for you?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,752,861 times
Quote:
Isn't it interesting that somebody who claims to be a truck driver also claims that "round these parts" #2 diesel or bio-diesel is all you can buy. Sure enough, bio-diesel is BIG in the Northeast, and you can't buy blended fuel up there.

Yeah right.
FYI, I don't live in the north east, you do. I live in the south east.
The local gas stations in my area sell #2 diesel and I have seen places that sell bio-diesel.

For my truck, I purchase fuel at Pilot and some TA's and Love's truck stops. The only fuel available in the trucking lanes are #2 LSD and ULSD. I only get in the USLD lanes if I'm in a hurry and they are the shortest lines.
There may be winterized fuel blends I never paid any attention. I do put in an additive in the tank if I will be in areas that are snowing or expecting 20* or below weather. The only choice is what they sell at the truck stop and it is labeled #2 diesel.
I have seen many price fluctuations throughout the year, but I have never seen a specific winter blend spike in fuel costs.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,048,900 times
Quote:
I have to wonder if you know as little about working on 8Ns, that you claim to work on, as you know about diesels. Do you need me to come put your old Ford back together for you?
You assume an awful lot.

And you are wrong in this particular, and your other attacking statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.