Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times

Advertisements

They drive nice on my test drives, but friends tell me they are a reliability nightmare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Depends on the year and model. Overall, the VW marque is neither good nor bad. Currently, the VW Rabbit S is on Consumer Reports (June 2008) "recommended" list.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Volkswa...chback/ratings

If reliability is your biggest priority, get a Honda or Toyota.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-23-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
I've heard the same.
I am sorry I can't offer you any first-hand experience but I knew a girl at my school who had a VW bug (the moderm version) and she was CONSTANTLY getting the thing fixed. She didn't drive crazy or anything.
One day she was going over a speed bump (didn't hit it hard or anything) and the next thing you know, the car just stops.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times
I owned a 2004 Touareg. NO BIGGER PIECE OF JUNK ON THE PLANET !!!!!!

$45,000 and could not keep it running for more than a week or two at a time.

Sooooo bad, I knew how my service advisor took his coffee and his favorite breakfast sandwich.

Approximately one year after buying this piece, I took a nearly $20,000 hit just to walk away from it. BTW, it was worth every penny.

Learn from my mistake......STAY AWAY !!!!!

(can you tell I still have anger issues over this sodomy)

Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,748 times
Again, there are good and bad version of any car. VWs, unfortunately, can be expensive to repair and that is a headache. Well, the *&^% dealer attitude doesn't help, LOL.

A friend of mine used to have a 2006 Passat 3.6. Had a lot of trouble with it, and finally traded it for another brand about 6 months ago. I, on the other hand, have had no problems with my 06 GLI. And my sister's 07 Rabbit has been equally faultless. So go figure.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times
A few years ago we considered the Passat, with the common rail diesel strictly because we liked that engine. After a couple of weeks of reading the posts on the forum at edmonds we changed our minds. Not about the engine, just the car.

golfgod

Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
The only new car I ever owned that was a total POS was a VW (and I have had many). It was a long time ago but I have a difficult time considering the make after that experience.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I have owned 2 VW's thru the years. I should have stopped at the first one. I bought it when I was in the air force and shipped it to Germany when I was transferred there. I had nothing but problems with it, and was afraid to drive it on the autobahn. I kept getting it fixed and finally was able to sell it to someone. The 2nd one was no better same scenario repairs constantly, so I sold it really cheap to get rid of it. I do not understand how VW has gotten the solid reputation it has had all this time. I guess some people luck out and get a good one and many others are stuck with junkers.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,582 times
Well let's see. Where to start...

I've owned quite a few VWs over the years.

The old AC Bugs - they were what they were. A classic. But you had to know how to work on them, and that was easy because they were easy to work on.

84 Rabbit Diesel. Fantastic little matchbox. Unbelievable mileage, and virtually no problems. The only problem is that when it got too cold, even if it was plugged in, the little beast would NOT start. So... those cars are probably best for warm climates.

84 Rabbit Convertible. 1.8 gasser. Great little car, but an economy fun box. My only real headache was figuring out what went wrong that it wouldn't run - and finally tracing it to the fuel pump relay of all things.

97 Golf K2. Fan-stinking-tastic car. 4 door hatchback. It currently has, as close as we can tell (the odo hasn't worked in awhile) about 350,000 miles. I put a new clutch in it last winter, and I'd drive the thing anywhere in the country. 31 mpg on the road, and 25 in town.

2001 New Beetle. Bought it for my wife on our 20th Wedding Anniversary. The only thing wrong was that it just didn't really suit our needs (daughter whith a cello). Loved the car, and it got good mileage. The only thing I ever had to do to it was put on a new coil.

I guess you can probably tell I like VWs. Like any other car, you HAVE to do the maintenance. And, like any car, they have some quirks and have had some junkers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one today, if the right deal came along.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
I've heard about equal good and bad things about VWs, but what is undeniable is that the dealer network is abysmal. Every one I've been to was populated by arrogant, disinterested, slimy pricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive