Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:14 PM

5,484 posts, read 12,276,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Glad to hear there's more than one of us!!!!!

That was me talking about the stolen car. There was a great story a couple years ago about a teen trying to steal a Viper in a mall parking lot. He was arrested because he couldn't get the car to GO!!!!!

He had no problem starting it. Just couldn't drive stick.
Who'd have thought the stick shift could actually serve as a security device?! LOL It's the "new" club.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,746,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Who'd have thought the stick shift could actually serve as a security device?! LOL It's the "new" club.
Just yesterday I taught my daughter's boyfriend how to drive stick.

He caught on pretty quickly, but those manual trannys can sure do a psyche job on you when you're a newbie!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,895,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Just yesterday I taught my daughter's boyfriend how to drive stick.

He caught on pretty quickly, but those manual trannys can sure do a psyche job on you when you're a newbie!
WOW Omaha Rocks. You must be a saint. I would choose walking on nails before trying to teach a teenager how to drive a stick.

GL2

Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 PM

11,402 posts, read 16,796,989 times
Quote:
First of all, the $1300 non-refundable tax credit is NOT "money in the pocket." It lowers your tax liability by $1,300 after you file it with your annual taxes. For some people, it has no effect on their taxes whatever.

That said, the fact is that within the last 18 months, diesel fuel was well over $1 per gallon more than regular gas. Sometimes diesel is cheaper than gas, but hasn't been for the past 2+ years. Right now, in Omaha, #2 diesel fuel is .30 per gallon more than regular gas. In addition, anybody in the northern half of the United States needs to run blended fuel during the winter - this costing anywhere from .10 to .25 more per gallon than #2 diesel. Also, it lowers your fuel economy.

Also, anybody who has driven diesels knows that the maintenance and - when necessary - repairs on diesels are far more expensive than on gas models.

So... Even if (and that's a BIG "if") you save $200 per 10,000 miles driving a TDI, you have to drive a minimum of 75,000 miles just to break even with a gasser - and that's at current prices of both the cars and the fuel.

The bottom line is that people should drive TDIs because they WANT to. Spare all the bragging about all these thousands of dollars saved due to increased fuel economy. That's like me bragging about all the money I'm saving because my motorcycle gets 50 mpg.
Let me try to teach you economics. If you owe someone $1300 and now you get a tax break of $1300, you just saved $1300. To me that's cash in your pocket.

"Six Of One, A Half Dozen Of The Other" is all the same thing no matter how you slice it and that's for everyone. It's a tax credit, not a tax deduction, which might not have an effect on your taxes. If you file and happen to owe the IRS Zero, and use the tax credit, you now get $1300 back from the IRS.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
WOW Omaha Rocks. You must be a saint. I would choose walking on nails before trying to teach a teenager how to drive a stick.

GL2
Well, if it makes any difference, he's almost not a teenager anymore. And I've taught 3 of my own kids. So...

Actually, he really did very well. Some people just kind of "get it" - and he's one of them. Besides, we were in my old Golf, and it's a very forgiving car. Great to learn in.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,752,861 times
Quote:
From this post we can ascertain two things.

1. You're a teenager.
2. You've never owned, driven and maintained a diesel.

I've owned and driven 8 of them - and that's not counting all the diesl trucks, tractors and combines on the farm.

Now... How 'bout you run along and play with your toys. The big people are trying to have a conversation.
Well, sugar britches, I'm no teenager, but you are sure acting like a child.
As for diesels, I own a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI and had a 2003 Jetta TDI I bought used in 2004, that was totaled when an old man slammed into it instead of stopping.
I also drive an 18 wheeler 100k plus miles a year on the east coast anywhere from FL to CT to as far west as MS. I have also worked on trucks since 1974, so I kinda know my way around diesels.
Now...Why don't you just own up to the fact that you were wrong and put your tail between your legs so the rest of the adults on here can move on.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Well, sugar britches, I'm no teenager, but you are sure acting like a child.
As for diesels, I own a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI and had a 2003 Jetta TDI I bought used in 2004, that was totaled when an old man slammed into it instead of stopping.
I also drive an 18 wheeler 100k plus miles a year on the east coast anywhere from FL to CT to as far west as MS. I have also worked on trucks since 1974, so I kinda know my way around diesels.
Now...Why don't you just own up to the fact that you were wrong and put your tail between your legs so the rest of the adults on here can move on.
And you're still going to claim that you're "saving loads of money" by buying and driving TDIs.

And you still don't seem to catch the fact that #1 and blended fuel is more expensive, and less efficient, than #2 fuel. If you know as much as you claim to know about diesels, you'd know that what you're claiming is wrong. And don't kid yourself. While your daddy may drive trucks, it's obvious that you don't.

But hey, it's all good. If you can convince yourself that you're getting rich by buying and driving TDIs, you're happy.

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 11-07-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Let me try to teach you economics. If you owe someone $1300 and now you get a tax break of $1300, you just saved $1300. To me that's cash in your pocket.

"Six Of One, A Half Dozen Of The Other" is all the same thing no matter how you slice it and that's for everyone. It's a tax credit, not a tax deduction, which might not have an effect on your taxes. If you file and happen to owe the IRS Zero, and use the tax credit, you now get $1300 back from the IRS.
Don't bother "trying to teach me economics." Rather, let's see if you understand taxes...

You apparently have no clue what non-refundable tax credits is. If you owe nothing in Income Tax, you do NOT get $1,300 back from the IRS. Please note that little troublesome two word phrase, "NON-REFUNDABLE."

As it stands now, you're driving your TDI a MINIMUM of 75,000 miles before you can even begin to (with any honesty and credibility) claim any kind of break-even achievement. And that's only if you completely deny the fact that maintenance & repairs on a TDI are considerably higher than on a gasser.

So... Do you really want to continue with this? Or do you want to just go ahead and enjoy driving your diesels, without trying to convince everybody that you're saving butt-loads of money. Because those of us who know better, know better.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:29 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,048,900 times
Oh yeah, you better listen to Omaha, he know everything!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Oh yeah, you better listen to Omaha, he know everything!
Wow. Thank you for sharing that gem that overflows from your vast depths of genius.

Of course, maybe what you could do is just prove me wrong - rather than make snide comments because you got your butt whipped in some other threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.