Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

51 posts, read 176,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I rent a place out and get $1100 with nothing included. I am in a tough spot because the rent will have to be increased again next year due to taxes increasing. I don't want to increase the rent again, but I have no choice. I'm not sure what the heat runs per month right now, but when the price of oil was cheap(compared to now) it was $200 per month. Water and sewer are free because of well and septic. Electric varies because they they charge summer rates and winter rates, but the bill is usually between 150-200 per month cable, phone and internet varies, but if you get a package plan through Comcast the price is around $200. The price of an apartment will depend on where in the state you live. Many In Burlington or any of the larger towns you will find more expensive rents, but there will be more jobs available and in rural areas there will be cheaper rents with very few jobs available. Also, many places rent with more included like heat, water and sewer. I hope this helps. Utilities will also depend on where in the state you end up living.
Thanks for the information. I am looking on Craigslist, the newspaper site, the net, anywhere I can think of for new information. Like I said, I want to go there with a realistic idea of what I will be moving to. All this advice and insight helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Have you already been to Vermont, or is this kind of a blind move?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Straight UP-if you dont want to buy a house -VT is the WORST place you
could possibly pick.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
It's a harsh rental market here, a harsh employment market, harsh environment(tough on cars and clothes).

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM

367 posts, read 695,627 times
Are you insane?? Move from Florida to Vermont?? The winters are awful, you can't go out in the woods without a florescent jacket otherwise you will be dinner, the economy will never improve and the rednecks will make you think the ones in Florida are nothing.

Can you tell I don't like Vermont?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 36,410 times
Default It is hard every where!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It's a harsh rental market here, a harsh employment market, harsh environment(tough on cars and clothes).

Honestly I don't know of anywhere in this country right now where it isn't a harsh rental market and employment rate. I am a researcher and I have lived in almost every state or visited for several months. Every place I have lived the people ask why are you coming here? The economy is terrible, food costs so much, rent is too much, there isn't much here ect. It just is everywhere. People just don't realize how bad it is other places. I say if you feel that God is calling you to Montpelier than that is where you should go. He will provide for you where ever He calls you. It's called faith. I think it is great that you are researching. God wants us to be wise as well. So good work. You made a really good point that you have AC bills etc. YOu may have to cut out cable and other extras but really does it kill anyone to go without those if they have to? The other thing is that eventhough the schools don't have a "gifted" program it doesn't mean it won't challenge your girls. You are moving to an English speaking state. The schools in Fla have to lower their standards to cater to the non-english speakers, so it's just different. I have heard really good things about the school system in Montpelier. Keep asking and praying. You'll get your answer. Yes the winters are harsh in Vermont, (I was born there and have lived in New England half of my life) but you can adjust. It's no big deal. Our bodies are made to adjust. The settlers did it and I am sure you can too. Now your girls as teens might have a hard time moving to the country from the city, but if you are a close knit family they should be fine. What really matters is that they make some good friends and can find fun things to do. There are a lot of fun things to do in Vermont. The outdoors can be a wonderful playground for young and old and they might love it. It sounds like you will enjoy yourself. From when I have spent time in Montpelier, I have seen that people are really friendly and you are moving with your mom. You already have her support. Find yourself a good solid church and make friends there, and you will be just fine. People help eachother out in New England. Good luck. I hope you have a great life and God bless!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Sorry but the relative wealth in MA, CT, NY is far greater than VT. Taxes are lower pay is higher. COL about even. The same opportunities do not exist in VT. I'm not saying she shouldn't move here just being honest- all that pretty scenery and nice outdoorsy stuff won't pay the bills or change the employment situation. VT schools teach to the lowest common denominator, special ed kids are put in regular classes with an adult assistant. I don't know about FL schools but VT is no where near suburban MA, CT, NY in school quality.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 36,410 times
Well I have lived in three of the four states mentioned and I agree, but if you look at the country as a whole, most places you will find that most of the population is struggling and can't seem to make enough money. It seems like to me I would rather live somewhere I love and do without a few extras. Not everyone feels that way of course. I don't think that Vermont as a whole does measure up to the schools in all of New England, but Montpelier does have great teachers and great schools (at least it did ten years ago). I know that other parts of the state don't fare so well, but on the whole Florida's education system isn't that great. So I think she would be happy compared to what she has. Just my opinion. She may even decide to not move to VT, but I just think that really we can make it anywhere so long as we adjust to the living standards.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Adjust to the living standards or lower your living standards? That is the problem with some of the pro-VT folks here. You are encouraging folks to accept a lower standard of living because you think VT is worth it. Maybe it is to you maybe it will be to others but let us be honest about that. The OP is finishing up an associates degree and working as a janitor, sorry but life will be much harder in VT with those credentials than FL. The high and mighty roar of you might need to give up your ipod/cell phone/tv etc. to get by in VT is disingenuous. Perhaps nobody needs those things but if you have them now, going without them in the future is a reduction in standard of living. It's funny twice in about two weeks I talked to different people(upstanding folk) one had just gotten running water in the house they were remodeling and the other had just moved into a house they were building and didn't yet have running water. No big deal, here in VT that is a common story, but you don't have to go far from VT before living without running water would be ludicrous. We are accepting a horribly low standard of living for what?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 AM

325 posts, read 706,010 times
My advice? Don't move to Vermont. Yes, Vermont is a spectacularly beautiful place, but jobs are extremely tough to come by even in a good economy. And one that pays well? Forget it.

I had to leave Vermont after 20 years because I just couldn't make it there. This is common.

I knew a woman with a college degree who had to wait tables for a living because even with a college degree she couldn't get a well paying enough job to survive otherwise.

And Montpelier is very high up in elevation and the winters are BRUTAL. You have no idea!

Stay where you are or move somewhere else that is cheaper would be my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont