Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times

Advertisements

VT has no Gifted school programs. You will almost certainly end up driving more living in Montpelier than where you are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Oh yeah - that too. And there is no Wal Mart in Montpelier. Closest I guess would be Burlington (I think) which is a good 30-40 minutes away.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
There is a Wal-Mart next door to Montpelier in Berlin. Maybe 5 minutes from downtown. OH...and a McDonalds, Burger King, Staples, JC Penney, etc.

http://www.central-vt.com/web/berlinmall/ (broken link)

Here are the directions if one is so inclined , although thats not the way I'd go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Is there really????!! I had no idea. Darn it. All this time we thought we'd have to hoof it to Burlington. Oh well. Live and learn!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Good advice by all. You need to do a cost analysis of your move. Vermont is a great place to raise a family, but it's not worth it if you can't afford it. There are many other parts of the country that are just as nice and more affordable. Look at everything from the price of gas, rent, food(much more expensive than down south), energy and utility costs(water, sewer, gas, electric, oil, cable, internet, phone,etc.), income.
Also, call places of employment to see if the jobs posted are actually available. My ex-wife works for the state and was told due to the economy there was going to be a hiring freeze. Before any layoffs the state was going to freeze hiring into the jobs that are vacant. These jobs may be listed on the website, but that doesn't mean they are open. We have the same situation where I work in Burlington at Fletcher Allen Health Care. Most jobs you see posted on the website for new hires are not open. We have a hiring freeze due to the poor economy right now.
If you are not thinking about moving here until a year from now I would suggest coming up on vacation this January or February to get a feel for what a Vermont winter is like. As already said a Ky winter is a joke compared to what a Vermont winter is like. Also, know that winters are long up here and summers(fantastic) are short. It is cold to cool outside for about six months out of the year. Expect a few weeks or a little more of 20-30 below zero nights with most of the winter between zero to high twenties. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 AM

15 posts, read 38,110 times
Hi,
I just moved to East Montpelier from Southern California and I happen to be a teacher/coordinator for gifted students. Be prepared for an eye opening experience. I love it here, but it is very rural. I actually got very excited when I just happened to find Walmart by accident! We found a little farmhouse for rent on craigslist and it took about 2 months of searching before we found it. We also weren't quite prepared for the heating costs, so make sure you do your research and have enough saved to prepare for winter. Also, salaries are much lower compared to other states which I wasn't quite prepared for.

Regarding the gifted program, there is legislation for gifted, but it is not mandated so yeah...there really is no gifted program here. A school board voted to have it at the school/s where I work which is how I got my job, but the teachers/admin aren't really buying it so it's been difficult. I can give you some resources if you're interested.

I'm not sure I'd want to raise teenagers around this area unless they enjoy the outdoors. St. Johnsbury is a nice area and has one high school which is private and has a college prep program. The advantage is that if you live there, your kids get to go there as it's the only high school in that area (Lyndon Institute is the other local (private) high school with a similar set up). I would also check out Burlington area since you have kids. I believe Montpelier actually does have something for the gifted, but I'd have to do more research.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,036,633 times
I think the problem is that every parent thinks their child is gifted. Gifted is the new average.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 PM

51 posts, read 176,814 times
Smile Vermont info

Thanks everyone. All the info I can get is very helpful. As to the COL here in FL. It has gone up a lot since the Hurricanes a few years ago. Everything from rent, food, gas, insurance. It has all gone up and the rate of pay isn't keeping up. My mom lives with us and she will be moving up to Vermont with me and the kids. She worked in the private sector on FT. Knox years ago, and also has clerical/secretarial/HR experience so she shouldn't have too hard a time finding a job. I have always either cooked or cleaned for a living. I am hoping that I can get a clerical/office job making more than I make now. But if I have to I can always cook or clean again. Whatever I have to to support my family. That is why I am in College. To learn what I need to learn to get that office job. I know I can get a job as a custodian for the school system there making more than I am now doing the exact same thing. It is going to come down to timing. I know to some of you this will sound like crap, but I feel God wants me in Vermont. I have been searching for a place to move for a few months and suddenly Vermont was in my head. So I will have faith and do what I can to see my dream happen. In the mean time I will continue getting as much info as I can and do as much research as I can so I don't just go there with this "perfect idea" in mind. I am a realist at heart. So keep the info coming and I will take everything you all tell me into mind. Thanks again. As to the COL here I am paying $945.00 for a three bed/2 bath apartment. Nothing included, no utilities. We pay them all. I don't have a heating bill, but I do have an A/C bill of arouns $220.00 a month. Add to that water/sewer/garbage. Not including the phone/cable/internet, car insurance... as you can see I may not have a heating bill, but I have plenty of others. LOL Doesn't everyone. What is the normal bill for the utilities/phone/water... general bills?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:51 PM

51 posts, read 176,814 times
Thanks for the info. It will be helpful. I want to pick the right town for us. It is just finding all the info I need. I love that I can actually get comments from people who live there. That makes it a lot easier when I can get facts that are up to date. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
I rent a place out and get $1100 with nothing included. I am in a tough spot because the rent will have to be increased again next year due to taxes increasing. I don't want to increase the rent again, but I have no choice. I'm not sure what the heat runs per month right now, but when the price of oil was cheap(compared to now) it was $200 per month. Water and sewer are free because of well and septic. Electric varies because they they charge summer rates and winter rates, but the bill is usually between 150-200 per month cable, phone and internet varies, but if you get a package plan through Comcast the price is around $200. The price of an apartment will depend on where in the state you live. Many In Burlington or any of the larger towns you will find more expensive rents, but there will be more jobs available and in rural areas there will be cheaper rents with very few jobs available. Also, many places rent with more included like heat, water and sewer. I hope this helps. Utilities will also depend on where in the state you end up living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont