Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM

31 posts, read 47,838 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I currently live in central Indiana and graduating in spring of 2013 from IU with my B.S. in Psychology. I have a son going off to college and one that will still be at home. I have been doing my research for about an year and a half on Vermont. Out of all 50 states, it is Vt. that I have chosen to live after I graduate. I am looking for anything about Vt. that people can tell me from mental health jobs (hopefully at Washington Co. Mental Health), to the public schools, house rentals, and driving cars in the winter. I have a front-wheel drive 2011 Ford Fiesta SE that I just paid off, so I hope I don't NEED to buy another vehicle yet, although the Outback has caught my eye. I do, however, realize I will need Blizzaks or some kind of winter tires. Thanks to all the replies I get...I REALLY will appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelLA67 View Post
Hey all,

I currently live in central Indiana and graduating in spring of 2013 from IU with my B.S. in Psychology. I have a son going off to college and one that will still be at home. I have been doing my research for about an year and a half on Vermont. Out of all 50 states, it is Vt. that I have chosen to live after I graduate. I am looking for anything about Vt. that people can tell me from mental health jobs (hopefully at Washington Co. Mental Health), to the public schools, house rentals, and driving cars in the winter. I have a front-wheel drive 2011 Ford Fiesta SE that I just paid off, so I hope I don't NEED to buy another vehicle yet, although the Outback has caught my eye. I do, however, realize I will need Blizzaks or some kind of winter tires. Thanks to all the replies I get...I REALLY will appreciate them.
Sounds unrealistic that you could find a job there with just a psych degree, assuming you have no other experience. Without that the rest is irrelevant.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Hmmm....based on the employment searching I have been doing online, I do not see a problem getting hired with my psych degree, especially since Washington Co. Health is the 7th major employer in central Vt. I also am prior law enforcement and EMS, not to mention other experience. For you to make that statement, you must have a psych degree, live in Vermont, and are unable (for whatever reason) to find employment?

Thanks to all of you in advance who give me helpful information!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I use to work at the state hospital in Waterbury. You might brush up on your history. Chittick began ataractic drug treatment in 1954 with Thorazine (he was the national leader in de-institutionalizing patients and shrinking care costs), and by 1987, patient census was less than 200.

For whatever reason, Vermont is a Mecca for second rate psychologists from the NYC area. They tend to group together in joint practices and live in an insular world. Do not expect any job within a "system" to pay much more than day laborer wages.

7th largest employer in CV??? That's like saying you are the leading citizen in Avery's Gore.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I use to work at the state hospital in Waterbury. You might brush up on your history. Chittick began ataractic drug treatment in 1954 with Thorazine (he was the national leader in de-institutionalizing patients and shrinking care costs), and by 1987, patient census was less than 200.

For whatever reason, Vermont is a Mecca for second rate psychologists from the NYC area. They tend to group together in joint practices and live in an insular world. Do not expect any job within a "system" to pay much more than day laborer wages.

7th largest employer in CV??? That's like saying you are the leading citizen in Avery's Gore.
Well, it is not my history, it is data from 2011, which is not that old. Not sure what your implication is with your last sentence, but okay!

Hmmm, two negative responses so far. I guess it is true as I have learned, that if I post on here, some that live in Vermont or have lived there, will "try" to dissuade those that are planning on moving there. I am sure, as I have read in other people's posts, there are many individuals that LOVE Vermont. What I DO understand is that there is positive/negative things about any place one lives, one just has to decide what is best for them.

I appreciate your opinion, never-the-less!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I have no personal preference whether or not you live in Vermont, and was merely pointing out that it is a small population state, with a similarly small population needing mental health services. Chances of getting a good paying job is like being a freshly graduated tadpole in a small pond with lots of frogs, and might not be very productive. Note that I live in Alabama at this point, which is more like Vermont in the 1950s than Vermont is now.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have no personal preference whether or not you live in Vermont, and was merely pointing out that it is a small population state, with a similarly small population needing mental health services. Chances of getting a good paying job is like being a freshly graduated tadpole in a small pond with lots of frogs, and might not be very productive. Note that I live in Alabama at this point, which is more like Vermont in the 1950s than Vermont is now.

Thanks for your second reply. I understand that Vermont is very rural, which is one of the things that has attracted me to that state, among many other things. I am in the social sciences, which anyone in that field can tell you, you don't go into it thinking you will get rich, because you won't. My psych degree will be new, yes, but thankfully I am not a young individual without prior employment experience, and most importantly, life experiences. I noted earlier that you were in Alabama. I grew up in Florida and could go back down there and make "bigger" money near the bigger cities, but I would be miserable and unhappy in the south.

There is more to Vermont than mental health, so if you have any information on anything other than that, I will appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM

130 posts, read 279,113 times
House rentals are tough in central VT. Low standards and run down properties are the bulk of rentals but you can catch a gem if you're persistent. You'll be fine with that car and snow tires as long as you don't live down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
House rentals are tough in central VT. Low standards and run down properties are the bulk of rentals but you can catch a gem if you're persistent. You'll be fine with that car and snow tires as long as you don't live down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I have seen several rentals online, but what price range should I look for to get something decent? I do not require a lap of luxury, but do not wish to live in a shack. I live modestly if that helps with giving me a price range. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelLA67 View Post
Hmmm....based on the employment searching I have been doing online, I do not see a problem getting hired with my psych degree, especially since Washington Co. Health is the 7th major employer in central Vt. I also am prior law enforcement and EMS, not to mention other experience. For you to make that statement, you must have a psych degree, live in Vermont, and are unable (for whatever reason) to find employment?

Thanks to all of you in advance who give me helpful information!
Well I'm none of those things but I have had to look for a job before and it's not easy. Most go to people who are already known to others working somewhere. I'm sure that's particularly true in a place like Vermont. They tend to look after their own first. I'm sure there are also plenty of psych majors coming out of UVM looking for that type of work. You might want to send some resumes out to employers in several locations. Sounds like you haven't been in the job market in a long time, perhaps since some bygone age when jobs were plentiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont