Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 PM

50 posts, read 77,860 times

Advertisements

Hi All

My family (we have a child) is considering moving from NYC to the Montpelier area, or other areas within the region such as Berlin or Calais, with the option of commuting for work. My main questions are whether the move is viable considering the job/housing market. I am an experienced secretary working for state government and am a certified EMT-B. How difficult is it to obtain a job in the EMS field in VT? I'm aware of the tax situation and the need for heating in contrast to what NY is like. I have looked in local papers online, but I can't seem to find any information regarding the EMS field there. Is it practically nonexistent? Do I need to work for the state, or do I need to network with local hospitals and pray for a lucky break? Any advice or realistic input would be welcomed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 AM

274 posts, read 674,112 times
I only moved to VT a year ago so I don't have much info for you on EMS services. However, I do know that Williston just decided to provide EMS services for the town, and they are currently hiring 1-2 EMTs for it. Williston is about 30 minutes up 89 from Montpelier (just outside Burlington)

Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Vermont does have EMT's. The licensing program is run by the Vermont Health Department. Most fire departments are volunteer fire departments, so I don't know how many paying jobs there are.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times
A lot of EMT "jobs" are volunteer. And many places are looking for volunteers. Also, in the larger towns that have paid positions it's usually the fire departments that are actually the EMS providers - you'd have to have firefighter certification as well as your EMS certification.
If you can "afford" to volunteer as an EMT, then great. I bet you'd have no problem. Finding a paying gig might be a bit more difficult. For paid positions you'd probably have your best luck in the Burlington area (try Williston as momnh recommended).
As far as secretarial work....don't know. Do you have a partner? What type of job his he/she looking for?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
You didn't mention if you are an experienced EMT. With the state budget, like many other states, they are slashing and cutting everywhere so an administrative position with the state would be very tough.

Have you considered that if you did find a paid EMT position, Montpelier does have paid EMTs btw, the pay cut going from NYC to Vermont would most likely be pretty breathtaking. The COL in NYC is higher but the COL in Vermont ain't cheap.

Here's a link to an EMT job in Montpelier. Don't know if it's legit
NURSES, EMT Paramedics job in Montpelier - Portamedic | Simply Hired

I would also check the City of Montpelier website and maybe even call the HR department of the city for information.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,691 times
Look into everything as much as you can. You may get lucky, but most EMT's are volunteer. I work in health care and I don't want to discourage you, but EMT pay in Vt (including Burlington) is very low. EMS in Vt is not as widespread as most other states. Most of the smaller towns have to rely on a regional service to provide EMS. An example is the town of Brookfield where I used to live. We had to use a rescue out of Bethel - over a half hour away.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'll check out the Williston posting and the link for EMS in Montpelier. I'm prepared mentally for the COL, most likely somewhat comparable to someone earning less than 35K in NYC, with higher taxes I presume? Partner would be looking for at least part-time work, pretty much anywhere. We'll take what we can get, basically. We're used to forgoing luxuries like tv/brand name products/nights out =D, so hopefully we can deal with the VT COL shock. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphene View Post
We'll take what we can get, basically. We're used to forgoing luxuries like tv/brand name products/nights out =D, so hopefully we can deal with the VT COL shock. Thanks again.
Vermont is not a third world country, tv/brand name products are easily availble and there are plenty of great restaurants and nightlife in the Montpelier area. Check the City of Montpelier and the Central Vermont Chamber websites for more info.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Vermont is not a third world country, tv/brand name products are easily availble and there are plenty of great restaurants and nightlife in the Montpelier area.

You're right, Mplr has all that and more. However, I thought the OP was referring to skipping those things to cope with high cost of living (see "
VT COL shock" in their post below), not any lack of availability of all this stuff.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, I was referring to forgoing luxury items, as obviously NYC has tv and brand name products, which we already do without, as stated earlier =D. Thanks Sherylcatmom.

Last edited by seraphene; 05-03-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont