Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 AM

4 posts, read 12,679 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 26 year old guy, originally from Pittsburgh, now in Washington, DC, and considering a move to Montpelier for a job opportunity. I've never been there. If anyone could tell about the town I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking about spending about $1000/month on housing, but willing to spend (depending on the offer I get) up to $1500/month. I want my own place (no roommates). Do people have any thoughts on where I should live? The job is right near the intersection of state street and main street down town.

I don't know anything about the town other than what I can gather from google, google earth and wikipedia. I get that it's very small. Is there anyplace in town that's social (shops/residents/night life)? Someplace I can walk to stores/restaurants/bars? Basically, I'm asking if I can get nice place where I can walk to work, stores and everything else. Otherwise, I was thinking about maybe getting a house outside of town, and maybe getting a couple dogs (tough to do in DC).

Next question: Is there any place in town where I might meet some girls about my age? Are there any girls my age? To be more picky, any chance of single/college educated/22-26 girls in Montpelier? I'm single, and I'd at least like to know there's some hope of a dating life.

Really anything anyone can offer about what life for a 26y/o guy might be like in Montpelier would be appreciated. After college I moved right to downtown DC, which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from Montpelier. Thoughts on places to live/places to socialize/things to do. Anything would help.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTD125; 08-30-2009 at 02:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
I think you will be bored out of your mind. I grew up in Southern Vermont. If Montpelier is anything like Bellows Falls the only "girls" your age will have two or three kids. Never married, two or three different fathers. Well, you get the point.
I have spent a good deal of time in Baltimore, but not DC. I can't imagine going from the DC/NOVA area to Vermont unless I was, like, 60 and just wanted to retire and smoke weed. Just my opinion.

By the way, $1400 will get you anything you want in Montpelier. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. At least in DC, there's always hope of meeting someone. I was looking on craigslist at housing. I can't believe that I can get a whole house for like $1200-$1500. Thats the one plus side of having been in DC 3 years, most of the rest of the world looks cheap to live in

Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD125 View Post
Next question: Is there any place in town where I might meet some girls about my age? Are there any girls my age? To be more picky, any chance of single/college educated/22-26 girls in Montpelier? I'm single, and I'd at least like to know there's some hope of a dating life.
This sounds more like Burlington, but Montpelier does have thriving culture that includes young people. I think there are many more people than in Bellows Falls. And Burlington's only 45 minutes away if you need more.

I've been in small-town NH/VT since my early 20s and was never, ever bored or lacked anyone to date. And as you see from my name, yes this female has kids and they're all feline.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 AM

34 posts, read 98,224 times
I have to agree for your age Montpelier will be dull. Wait til you are older. Vermont is pretty to visit. If you like big city life you will be disappointed. If you don't mind quiet, then you will like Montp.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD125 View Post
I'm a single 26 year old guy, originally from Pittsburgh, now in Washington, DC, and considering a move to Montpelier for a job opportunity. I've never been there. If anyone could tell about the town I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking about spending about $1000/month on housing, but willing to spend (depending on the offer I get) up to $1500/month. I want my own place (no roommates). Do people have any thoughts on where I should live? The job is right near the intersection of state street and main street down town.

I don't know anything about the town other than what I can gather from google, google earth and wikipedia. I get that it's very small. Is there anyplace in town that's social (shops/residents/night life)? Someplace I can walk to stores/restaurants/bars? Basically, I'm asking if I can get nice place where I can walk to work, stores and everything else. Otherwise, I was thinking about maybe getting a house outside of town, and maybe getting a couple dogs (tough to do in DC).

Really anything anyone can offer about what life for a 26y/o guy might be like in Montpelier would be appreciated. After college I moved right to downtown DC, which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from Montpelier. Thoughts on places to live/places to socialize/things to do. Anything would help.

Thanks!
I'm guessing most 26 year olds would be bored in Montpelier. You'd have to be at the point where you're just fed up with the hussle and bussle of the city and want to be in a small town near nature. Burlington would probably be much better.

Of course, we don't know a darn thing about you

Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Sure, without knowing me it's hard to give advice. The job I'm looking at (still just interviewing for, so I'm not positive I'll even get it, but it seems promising) is a good job with a good organization. So if I take it, I'd hopefully be living there for a while.

I'm single, but eventually I'd like to meet someone, get married, do the whole family thing. I'm just wondering if there are very many single women about my age in the area? I know some places, it's all kids in high school or younger, or families and older individuals; the single 20 something crowd (especially those that went to college) is non-existent because they all moved somewhere else to work. I'm just trying to get some understanding of the demographics.

Second, if there is something of a 20 something life in Montpelier or nearby. Where is it? Most importantly (since I'll have to decide without having spent much time there), where should I be looking to get a place? I said above, but I'm thinking about spending about $1000/month. But, depending on what the salary offer is should I get offered the job, and if I find something I really like, it's possible for me to spend a little more, possibly $1400 or so if the offer is very good. Beyond where the 20 somethings (if they exist) live, where does whatever 20-something social life there is happen?

Just in general, does anyone have any tips/thoughts/advice for a single 26y/o guy moving to Montpelier. Are there nice places in town to rent, or should I look to get a house outside of town? I'm single, so I'm much more concerned about have a nice place/nice location than I am about how big it is. (Also, worst case scenario, if the social life is non-existent, I'm thinking about getting a couple dogs).

Beyond just places to live though, and like I said above, any tips/thoughts/advice for a single 26y/o guy moving to Montpelier would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about the area whatsoever. I drove through the state once (from Annapolis to Montreal) to watch the Expos play before they fled to DC (I'm a big baseball fan). That is the entirety of my knowledge. Also, just an FYI, don't worry about warning me about the cold/snow. I went to college just south of Lake Erie, so I'm used to the cold and lots of snow.

Last edited by GTD125; 08-30-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
There will be people your own age, but the selection of people will be much smaller than anywhere else. Vermont (oddly enough not Florida) has the oldest population in the country. With a small population size to start with and an old population on top of that, it's clear that the number of people that may be compatible with you will be smaller. If your job was in Burlington, I would say your level of happiness would be much higher. There are things to do in Montpelier, but it's not a big town. In my younger/single days I found Montpelier a little dull.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I'm not in your age group but I know lots of people who are. I think Montpelier's a great town--I've lived here since 1983. I think it's getting a bit of a bad rap. True, it used to be pretty dead at night, but now you can hear live music in more than one venue every night of the week. The town definitely has a crunch granola feel to it, but the granola types you meet may also be young professionals and other recent college graduates working for state government or some of the many nonprofits in the area.

There is good housing within easy walking distance of your potential workplace, along with the bars, restaurants, bookstores, and supermarket, so if you live close to downtown you might not need to drive that much. You can also get out into the country very quickly for skiing, snowshoing, and just about any kind of outdoor activity you're interested in.

I think Montpelier's a great town.

For more information you might want to take a look at my Epinions review on Montpelier: We'll make you feel right at home! - Montpelier - Epinions.com

Or the city government's web page: www.montpelier-vt.org

Or the web pages of our local newspapers:

The Bridge

Timesargus.com | Barre-Montpelier Times Argus | Vermont news, Vermont jobs, Montpelier real estate, Barre real estate

World Home page - The World

Or the web pages of some local businesses:

Buch Spieler Home

Bearpond Books

Hunger Mountain Coop

Welcome to Onion River Sports in Montpelier, Vermont - Jump in your car and visit our discount racks of bike ski and outdoor gear filled to the roof!

Three Penny Taproom - Montpelier, VT: Home

http://www.langdonstreetcafe.com/

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm not in your age group but I know lots of people who are. I think Montpelier's a great town--I've lived here since 1983. I think it's getting a bit of a bad rap. True, it used to be pretty dead at night, but now you can hear live music in more than one venue every night of the week. The town definitely has a crunch granola feel to it, but the granola types you meet may also be young professionals and other recent college graduates working for state government or some of the many nonprofits in the area.

There is good housing within easy walking distance of your potential workplace, along with the bars, restaurants, bookstores, and supermarket, so if you live close to downtown you might not need to drive that much. You can also get out into the country very quickly for skiing, snowshoing, and just about any kind of outdoor activity you're interested in.

I think Montpelier's a great town.

For more information you might want to take a look at my Epinions review on Montpelier: We'll make you feel right at home! - Montpelier - Epinions.com

Or the city government's web page: www.montpelier-vt.org

Or the web pages of our local newspapers:

The Bridge

Timesargus.com | Barre-Montpelier Times Argus | Vermont news, Vermont jobs, Montpelier real estate, Barre real estate

World Home page - The World

Or the web pages of some local businesses:

Buch Spieler Home

Bearpond Books

Hunger Mountain Coop

Welcome to Onion River Sports in Montpelier, Vermont - Jump in your car and visit our discount racks of bike ski and outdoor gear filled to the roof!

Three Penny Taproom - Montpelier, VT: Home

Langdon Street Cafe
I agree Montpelier is a great town. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the town, but when I was 28 and single living in the area, there wasn't much to offer for a single young adult. Sure, you can find someone anywhere, but you have better chances or opportunity in a larger town. Now that I'm older and married the town fits me better. Everyone is different with different likes and dislikes. The best thing to do in your case before declining or accepting the job is to spend a few days in the area and see if it's a good fit for you. Personally, I would never move somewhere that I never visited. You are talking about moving from a metro area to a tiny town in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont