Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,194,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
If they only knew that ME and NH have a heroin problem as well! Its everywhere unfortunately!
and oh don't mention every other place in America! Like the big cities don't have it??? (snicker) Look at the news about who is getting arrested for distribution...yada from Boston or NYC. Preying on bored VT teens to make a buck.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
and oh don't mention every other place in America! Like the big cities don't have it??? (snicker) Look at the news about who is getting arrested for distribution...yada from Boston or NYC. Preying on bored VT teens to make a buck.
No question that the big cities have it, and that it's distributed elsewhere. It's disingenuous to suggest that it's big city dealers who are preying on bored VT teens. Judging by the news stories I've read, there appear to be a number of VTers running Heroin from hubs such as Springfield, MA and Hartford, CT, too.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM

83 posts, read 266,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No question that the big cities have it, and that it's distributed elsewhere. It's disingenuous to suggest that it's big city dealers who are preying on bored VT teens. Judging by the news stories I've read, there appear to be a number of VTers running Heroin from hubs such as Springfield, MA and Hartford, CT, too.
The grim reality...it's everywhere and it finally arrived here too.

Just think for a moment, if this state's politicians and authorities actually allowed some facilities and activities in these small, rural communities that would divert young people's attention to more positive things, (such as sports, vocational work programs, etc.,) to operate...maybe the mindset would be a little different, and kids would have a different perspective?

Just another opinion to consider.

Easier said than done, huh...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 AM

36 posts, read 37,113 times
And THATS the problem with Vermont. Theres nothing to do. Say that to an old timer who spends their days on the porch watching the cows walk by, and they get mad. ANYONE who has been ANYWHERE, knows Vt is VERY limited on work opportunites, leisure, sports etc. Yes, yes I know, you can take a hikein the woods with your $200 hiking shoes (says the trust fund baby) if theres so much to do, why are all these kids running the streets shooting up? Sure, drugs are everywhere. BUT, there are also opportunities. So if you take drugs, youre throwing them away. In VT, in a rural town, your only opportunity is getting on welfare and disability. Vt is stuck in a postcard in its own mind, and thats how natives regard it. Perfect littlecovered bridges and barns! You can eat the scenery and make a living off it too! Oh.wait, YOU CANT

Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowboyTZ View Post
The grim reality...it's everywhere and it finally arrived here too.

Just think for a moment, if this state's politicians and authorities actually allowed some facilities and activities in these small, rural communities that would divert young people's attention to more positive things, (such as sports, vocational work programs, etc.,) to operate...maybe the mindset would be a little different, and kids would have a different perspective?

Just another opinion to consider.

Easier said than done, huh...
Look at the ages of some of the individuals who are arrested for carrying large quantities of Heroin -- these aren't teens -- many are old enough to be parents of teens! You can provide the kids with all the recreational diversions money will allow, but without eliminating the drug source, it's an uphill battle. Along with healthy diversions, there needs to be stricter penalties for drug transporting/intent to sell.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 PM

83 posts, read 266,416 times
Quote:
Look at the ages of some of the individuals who are arrested for carrying large quantities of Heroin -- these aren't teens -- many are old enough to be parents of teens! You can provide the kids with all the recreational diversions money will allow, but without eliminating the drug source, it's an uphill battle. Along with healthy diversions, there needs to be stricter penalties for drug transporting/intent to sell.
I don't argue that fact a bit, that the ages of some of the offenders are more than just teens. As a matter of fact, I would lean more towards the fault being on the parents to be honest. I have multiple neighbors and acquaintances around this area that all are pretty crude in their ways, their outlook, etc. that are mostly drunks I hate to say, and simply pass it down through the generations. That's a normal human function, to see and follow. If the instructions were different, the outcome of the job would be as well.

My wife works in town at an agency that deals with (unfortunately,) mostly teen pregnancy, low-self esteem youths, etc. that simply never had a decent role model in their lives. I wish I could just take all these kids home, bring them here and show them all how a normal family life would be, with a MOM and a DAD to love them, cook, teach, raise, and yes, dicipline them as needed. Unfortunately that isn't an option, due to so many different variables. But I have the right intention; it would be to just plain raise them with 2 parents, and show them love and respect. They don't have it now, so they look in other directions for it and they end up finding it in the wrong places.

We can go back and forth all day long about freedom of expression, blah blah blah...but it's safe to say that when I was a kid, if I came home with an ear ring (in my ear, not even my nose...)that my dad would have kicked my butt right over top of the house. I was adamant with my daughter especially, about how many holes she was allowed in her ears for rings...I nipped that in the bud early, because give an inch, they take a mile. She knew the boundaries...and respected them. Give these kids a free reign to party, hang out all hours, do whatever they please, and mark my words...you have a perfect blueprint for the ones that are hauling this heroin around the countryside.

At this very moment I have a 19 year old kid outside doing a bunch of carpentry work in the breezeway for me, for hire. He's a high school graduate, he's putting himself through an expensive college course in upstate NY majoring in urban tree care. His parents are divorced and split...there's alcoholism and drugs in his upbringing, but he's an exception to the rule because he's the perfect specimen of a son in my eyes that I wish I had raised myself! He's one example of a kid that didn't let the negatives control his destiny. All he does is go to school all week, get back home on Friday nights late, and work Sat. and Sun. so he has money to live on while in school.He heads back up north every Sunday afternoon. What a guy, I have a LOT of respect for this dude, and I love having him here. He is a friend of my daughter's from high school. I BEGGED her to go with him (not literally, but playfully,) but she insists on being with some other waterhead which I don't care for...not that he's a bad kid, just dumb.

Oh well, like Forest Gump's Momma said..."Life is like a box of chocolates.........."

Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 PM

317 posts, read 748,900 times
Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital

B A L T I M O R E, March 14 Part I: Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital - ABC News

"People think because it's pure, you can smoke it, snort it — that it's safer," explains Drug Enforcement Agency Special Agent Bill Hocker.
Recovering addicts say anyone thinking about trying heroin should think again.
"They might as well put a gun to their head and kill themselves," says Wanda, forming the shape of a gun with her fingers and pointing it at her forehead. "It's suicide."
"I wouldn't let my worst enemy do it," adds "T." "Once you learn how it feels, you're on that track and there's not much that's gonna help you."
The Washington/Baltimore HIDTA predicted in its February situation report, "The number of heroin addicts in [Baltimore] will continue to rise."

Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,553,652 times
As others have noted, heroin really isn't a "bored teen" problem. I was discussing this a few weeks ago with a gentleman that owns a garage and plowing business and he said he's had to let 3 people go in the last 2 years because of drug-related reasons. The teens are mostly still sneaking beers and smoking pot. It's men and women in their 30's and older who may have had a legitimate pain killer prescription for an injury, but developed an addiction and moved on to cheaper drugs (heroin is less than half the price of Oxycotin).

In any case, the media has really blown up the "Vermont" angle because it's an easy narrative to write. No one pays attention to another story about drugs in the big city. But contrast heroin against a rural, postcard-ready state like VT and it becomes a "story."

Our problem is no worse than any other state. Rural, urban, everyone is dealing with this and I think it's FAR better to address it head on and out loud then to pretend that we are too kind and gentle to have the same problems everyone else has.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM

We're looking at a mixed bag of both adult and teen addicts, and for many of the reasons given. My observation (anecdotal but appears to be true elsewhere) was that the adult users I knew had prior addiction issues and heroin was merely the next drug up the ladder. Young users came from both solid and broken homes; some were actually good students. They appeared to have gotten into heroin as a result of the friends they hung around with. Teen rebellion? Angst? Stupidity? Invincibility? All of the above.

While, yes, there is a need for targeting at risk youth, the biggest targets need to be those caught trafficking it. Punishment must be swift and severe to make others think twice before bringing it into VT.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Quote:
While, yes, there is a need for targeting at risk youth, the biggest targets need to be those caught trafficking it. Punishment must be swift and severe to make others think twice before bringing it into VT.

Backwards. The war on drugs is failure. You can lock away dealer / supplier one after another after another. There will be more and we'll be paying for prisons. You can make it life without parole first offense and it won't slow the supply.

Eliminating the demand is the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont