Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

63 posts, read 138,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
The NYT and the "Glob" just keep pounding out the "gee what a quaint place to have a wedding" or write articles about yuppies who buy an old farmhouse and then put in $30 k worth of solar panels so they can look down their noses at the locals..
So funny and so true!!!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 PM

63 posts, read 138,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
VT State police were giving seminars to school officials in 2005 explaining it IS coming. It will be here shortly. Get ready. Judging by these posts, I guess it arrived. Very sad.
The drug network in Rutand was hard to get a handle on because of the AMTRAK trains lines. Whatever is big in Troy and Albany will be big in Vermont.
Exactly right, and they also teach us at the academy that you watch the 'B's. Stuff comes up from Mass, Ct, up the interstate. Initial drop points for distribution: Brattleboro, bellows falls, barre, Burlington. And of course WRJ.

But I have not heard anyone mention Bath Salts. This is becoming very big in VT, and very dangerous. Some people are harder to handle on BS than Meth.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
What part of the word Per-Capita do you not understand? I posted in post FOUR we always rank high on a lot of lists because of this.
Just another example of the head in the sand mentality.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,942,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Meth has made it's way East. The pharmacies have attempted to help stop the problem from spreading by limiting the amount of pseudoephedrine that can be purchased as well as keeping logs. The plan was working for about 6 years, but the amount of abuse is trending towards pre-2006 levels now. Even though people are limited to what they can buy in the US, that does not stop the importation from Mexico and other countries. Forbes ran an article about a year ago on the growing problem. On top of that, the purity of the pseudoephedrine has almost doubled in the past 6 years.
It's too bad that Vermont (and I suppose perhaps all of rural New England) could see an explosion of this at some point in the future.

I'd read a while back that meth had sort of begun to surface in a couple of Northeastern cities, and I had wondered how long it was going to be before the rural states in the region would begin to suffer if the problem wasn't contained (as far as I knew, maybe it had been). When meth became a presence in the urban areas of the Pacific Northwest, it didn't take long before production (and consumption) was "outsourced" to the more secluded rural states (i.e. Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) of the region, places where manufacturing and trafficking was a bit easier to conduct. And there were definitely local markets for it.

However, if production is no longer going to require such intricate "lab" activity, it may not be so necessary for the manufacturers to set up rural operations to quite the same extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
So easy a child can do it.

New 'Shake and Bake' Meth Method Explodes

Method Designed to Get Around New Laws.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,487 times
It's already here, been here for a while.....

Heck there was a small lab bust in St J recently.......so it's made it's way here and has it's fingers tucked into the cracks of society.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,004 times
The western section of the state has had several meth lab busts as well as some lab explosions.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,927 times
Well, the small towns that are over an hour from an aforementioned city mainly have a pot problem. In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather be surrounded by some mellow pot-smoking teens. Violent crime? As my daughter says, " Mom, the most a pothead might attack is a pizza."

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Well, the small towns that are over an hour from an aforementioned city mainly have a pot problem. In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather be surrounded by some mellow pot-smoking teens. Violent crime? As my daughter says, " Mom, the most a pothead might attack is a pizza."
Maybe I'm not following you completely, and I apologize if I'm misinterpreting you. Vermont has a HUGE drug problem. Pot in today's world is hardly considered a drug. I would say every town in the state has been effected by prescription, heroin, cocaine, etc abuse. Watch the news or pick up a newspaper and there is guaranteed to be a story on some drug related crime.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Vermont's drug problem isn't the secret. The secret is the cause. Vermonters like to blame everything on non-Vermonters. Meanwhile, it does NOT matter how the drugs get there. Finger pointing and blame shifting contribute to why Vermont ranks second in the country.

The source of the problem is a population that is willing to try hard drugs. The rest of the states in the nation have drugs coming into their state from other places. Yet their populations aren't as willing to buy the drugs. Ask yourselves, "Why are Vermonters more willing to try hard drugs?" and you'll begin to find a way to improve Vermont's national ranking.

Are Vermont schools and parents not educating their children about the dangers of drugs? Are parents and society portraying lack of personal accountability by blaming outsiders? I don't know. You live there. You have a better chance of finding the reason.

But I assure you that it isn't the outsiders and the drug dealers. The problem is lack of resistance compared to populations throughout the rest of the country. Nobody is forcing Vermonters to use drugs.
Man sentenced on drug charges in Rutland

Jun. 26, 2013 7:07 AM |

RUTLAND — A Philadelphia man has been sentenced to more than four years in prison in Vermont after being convicted of conspiracy to sell the prescription painkiller oxycodone.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Maybe I'm not following you completely, and I apologize if I'm misinterpreting you. Vermont has a HUGE drug problem. Pot in today's world is hardly considered a drug. I would say every town in the state has been effected by prescription, heroin, cocaine, etc abuse. Watch the news or pick up a newspaper and there is guaranteed to be a story on some drug related crime.
Ok, Vt has no bigger problem than the rest of the US, of which I don't condone. In a way OVERUSE of drugs relies upon accesability. Buffer/larger towns have a bigger hard drug problem whereas rural areas are pretty limited. Pot is the staple. Considering most of VT IS indeed small town, the averages are not AS BAD as most places.

Keep in mind I'm NOT saying one is worse than the other but acknowledging ACCESS!!!! We are indeed a very remote state with many towns not even selling toilet paper. ???? Just looking at comparable demographics. I know it's hard for a STATE 1/5 the size of most quoted CITY stats.

Shame on me I see the drug crime in Burlington and automatically say:"oh a frigin new yorker brought it up" and sure enough...I see what is going on. It is also more than what I think most young people want to go on. Not denying the problem but saying the heart is where outside city folks bring it. Outside kids don't care.

A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont