Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,956,602 times

Advertisements

Just curious: has Vermont (or the Northeast in general) been at all impacted by methamphetamine use and distribution to proportions that are described by law and drug enforcement as epidemic?

I'm just wondering how far eastward this has managed to spread, if it ever really has at all. It seems that marijuana and cocaine are most prevalent in Vermont, and if that's the case, then really, consider yourselves lucky.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,519,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Just curious: has Vermont (or the Northeast in general) been at all impacted by methamphetamine use and distribution to proportions that are described by law and drug enforcement as epidemic?

I'm just wondering how far eastward this has managed to spread, if it ever really has at all. It seems that marijuana and cocaine are most prevalent in Vermont, and if that's the case, then really, consider yourselves lucky.
Huh? Didn't you read the links in this thread?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,956,602 times
Snippy, snippy...

Unless I overlooked something in any of the references, the issue in VT appears to primarily be cocaine and prescription opiates. I get it, but I was simply asking if amphetamine abuse is or has ever been on a problem on any notable level (you know, even as a minor component within a broad issue like "the drug problem").

Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,682,642 times
Quote:

Meth has made it's way East. The pharmacies have attempted to help stop the problem from spreading by limiting the amount of pseudoephedrine that can be purchased as well as keeping logs. The plan was working for about 6 years, but the amount of abuse is trending towards pre-2006 levels now. Even though people are limited to what they can buy in the US, that does not stop the importation from Mexico and other countries. Forbes ran an article about a year ago on the growing problem. On top of that, the purity of the pseudoephedrine has almost doubled in the past 6 years.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,519,806 times
Quote:
Snippy, snippy...

Unless I overlooked something in any of the references, the issue in VT appears to primarily be cocaine and prescription opiates. I get it, but I was simply asking if amphetamine abuse is or has ever been on a problem on any notable level (you know, even as a minor component within a broad issue like "the drug problem").
Heroine is a big problem too because those prescription opiates lead to it.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 PM

662 posts, read 1,266,989 times
So easy a child can do it.

New 'Shake and Bake' Meth Method Explodes

Method Designed to Get Around New Laws

A new method of manufacturing methamphetamine, designed to get around laws restricting sale of the ingredients needs to make meth, is spreading across the country and law enforcement officials claim the new "shake and bake" process is even more dangerous than the old makeshift meth labs. One wrong move and the concoction can explode into a large fireball, authorities say.

Because many of those meth patients do not have insurance, the costs of treatment is overwhelming some providers. Salter reported that six burn units in the U.S. have shut down in the past six years, partially due to the increase in the number of meth-burned patients. Using the 'one pot' or 'shake and bake' method, they mix unstable ingredients in plastic 2-liter soda bottles. If the cap to the bottle is removed too quickly or the plastic bottle is perforated, the mixture can explode.
"You're holding a flame-thrower in your hands," one law enforcement officer told Salter.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM

662 posts, read 1,266,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This mentality is exactly what I mean. The bad light is this type of attitude. Sticking your head in the sand makes it worse. Stop feeling the need to defend your state. The problem will only get worse if you just say it's a sign of the times, every state has this problem. Wake up! Your state ranks SECOND!
What part of the word Per-Capita do you not understand? I posted in post FOUR we always rank high on a lot of lists because of this.
I believe you've spent a few winters up here and are through after your little lockout ordeal and stated you tried to learn about Vermont. I guess you missed leading lots of lists due to population.

Per capita

Per capita is a Latin prepositional phrase: per (preposition, taking the accusative case, meaning "by, by means of") and capita (accusative plural of the noun caput, "head"). The phrase thus means "by heads" or "for each head", i.e. per individual/person. The term is used in a wide variety of social sciences and statistical research contexts, including government statistics, economic indicators, and built environment studies.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,694,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhuu View Post
Is this not just an another example of negativity about Vermont? Is this just a sign of the over all drug problem in the country? One would not think Vermont would be immune? I ask what state can one point out that has no drug problem? What state is just like real small town america Mayberry? It is almost like there is some kind of campaign to show Vermont in a bad light.

No, its not at all.

And all of the posts of yours I have responded to have had pleasant stuff to say about Vermont. Anyone who remembers what I might post will see the bad tempered with the good. I was pointing out that heroin was huge in Rutland, and that in the four states my Wife has worked in, have never seen heroin use so prevalent. Even in the Philly area.
All states have drug problems, crack, pills etc, that is a given, just commenting on something unique to Vermont and very relevant to the OP's thread.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,694,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Meth has made it's way East. The pharmacies have attempted to help stop the problem from spreading by limiting the amount of pseudoephedrine that can be purchased as well as keeping logs. The plan was working for about 6 years, but the amount of abuse is trending towards pre-2006 levels now. Even though people are limited to what they can buy in the US, that does not stop the importation from Mexico and other countries. Forbes ran an article about a year ago on the growing problem. On top of that, the purity of the pseudoephedrine has almost doubled in the past 6 years.

VT State police were giving seminars to school officials in 2005 explaining it IS coming. It will be here shortly. Get ready. Judging by these posts, I guess it arrived. Very sad.
The drug network in Rutand was hard to get a handle on because of the AMTRAK trains lines. Whatever is big in Troy and Albany will be big in Vermont.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM

819 posts, read 1,502,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
VT State police were giving seminars to school officials in 2005 explaining it IS coming. It will be here shortly. Get ready. Judging by these posts, I guess it arrived. Very sad.
The drug network in Rutand was hard to get a handle on because of the AMTRAK trains lines. Whatever is big in Troy and Albany will be big in Vermont.
And the choo choo fans thought I was nutts when I mentioned this angle on trains......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont