Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM

126 posts, read 240,658 times

Advertisements

I might have an opportunity to relocate from Houston to VT.

My trade allows me to work from a home office and do field work.

My territory would be the entire state of Vermont.

We have 2 small kids 3 and 4. Rutland seems like a decent location to cover the state.

I did a search but could not find anything. I'm sure there is, but the search does not always work.

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know it's cold

But considering VT only had 4 homicides last year it looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
Never lived in Rutland but have been there many times. Plenty of shopping. Housing can be pricey. It is a medium-large sized VT city. Many "big-box" stores there like WalMart, Michaels, Price Chopper (groceries) Kmart. There is a mall but from what I hear it is on the decline. Also has a bus/transit system and access to Amtrak. Don't know much about the schools. Have heard there is a slight crime problem there. Don't know the extent of that. Sorry.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Correction...the search function decided to start working and I have been browsing the Rutland threads.

Sounds great compared to Houston standards of what is good and bad.

It's funny how some people from there might call it not so great, but low crime, somewhat affordable housing outside the city..especially if you are handy and know how to paint, plumb, etc...very charming houses with barns and some land.

We currently live on a busy street corner and the traffic noise is constant. VT seems quiet.

We are not into bars or clubs, just want a nice place for our kids to have their formative years. My son does like hockey, so that's a good thing.

Thanks in advance to anyone providing feedback.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,274,173 times
Rutland doesn't have the greatest reputation but I personally don't find it bad. Like anywhere there are certain parts of town that are not so nice but the vast majority of the area is nice. There is fairly big drug problem there from what I hear on the news.
If you don't want to live in Rutland itself there are nice areas outside of town - Rutland Town, Wallingford, Mendon, Clarendon. I like Brandon, about 20 minutes north.
As mentioned above there are your usual big box stores and a small, struggling mall. The downtown area has some nice locally owned shops and restaurants. There is a thriving year round farmer's market. Great skiing nearby.
The local paper is the Rutland Herald - RutlandHerald.com | Rutland Herald | Rutland news, Rutland sports, Rutland real estate, Vermont jobs
WCAX-TV out of Burlington covers Rutland news. - Home WCAX.com - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
There are a couple Rutland residents who are regulars here so hopefully they'll see this and post!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Parts of Rutland can be quite noisy. Anything along route 7 (Main St.), route 4 (West St. and Woodstock Ave), Allen Street, Stratton Road, and a couple other side roads used for shortcuts, can be quite noisy and bad with traffic. Some areas are just not good places for kids to be. Parts of the "Gut" as it's called by the locals (south of west street and west of the RR tracks and until you cross Otter Creek) is a higher crime area with drug and some gang activity present these days. Dorr Drive is a nicer part of Rutland but is prone to flooding issues.

I'd really suggest you look to the nearby towns. Wallingford, Shrewsbury, Mendon, Pittsford, Castleton, parts of Clarendon, Tinmouth, Chittenden and some others are close enough for a commute and are much nicer areas. Property prices vary widely between them.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post
Sounds great compared to Houston standards of what is good and bad.

Yep, I'm from Miami and I think Rutland is great. Safe, quiet, no traffic to speak of (waiting through a light cycle is considered heavy traffic here). I agree that if you lived right on Route 7 it might be noisy. I live literally three houses downhill from Route 7 and it's very quiet. I mention downhill because one thing I learned, being a real flatlander, is that sound travels up. So living downhill is quieter, generally speaking.

Five-ten minutes from outdoor recreation, great library, developing arts and music scene (not a lot, but it's trying), best farmers market anywhere and it runs weekly all year 'round. You could do a lot worse.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Yep, I'm from Miami and I think Rutland is great. Safe, quiet, no traffic to speak of (waiting through a light cycle is considered heavy traffic here). I agree that if you lived right on Route 7 it might be noisy. I live literally three houses downhill from Route 7 and it's very quiet. I mention downhill because one thing I learned, being a real flatlander, is that sound travels up. So living downhill is quieter, generally speaking.

Five-ten minutes from outdoor recreation, great library, developing arts and music scene (not a lot, but it's trying), best farmers market anywhere and it runs weekly all year 'round. You could do a lot worse.
Thanks!

How long have you been there?

How was your adjustment to the climate?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
I dont think Rutland is Vermonts finest hour in my time spent there. Compared to Houston though, you might think you found heaven. Not trying to be negative, I just found it kind of depressing, relative to alot of other places in VT.
That was about 5 years ago though . . .
If you have time, check out the outlying areas like Proctor. If you have lots of time, look at a few places in the whole state.
Vermont lifestyle will be a huge change from TX lifestyle, but in a positive way.
One thing you will need to prepare yourself for is the darkness. It stays dark way longer up there. There are lots of plusses and minus's to making an extreme lifestyle change like you are planning. Visit, Do your homework--research carefully!

Best wishes

Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,590 times
Rutland has it's issues like any place. Compared to Houston, it'll be very quiet. Our road system is mostly winding 2 lane roads with limited 4 lane highways, so travel can be challenging. Have you ever driven in snow? 4wd/AWD or good snow tires help. Killington/Pico ski area is right up the road. Pine hill park is an awesome mountain bike/hiking trail system and we have hiking trails a plenty. Plenty of things to do if you enjoy the outdoors. There is very little nightlife here, although we do have the Paramouint theater which has gotten some great entertainment.
Within 2 hours of Rutland is VT Teddy bear, Ben & Jerry ice cream, Shelburne museum, and Burlington which is where all the action is in the state. Burlington is a big college town with a great waterfront and lot's of things to see and do. Within 4 hours you can be in Maine and on the ocean or in Boston and watching the Red Sox. Rutland has an Amtrak train that goes to NYC and it's a great way to travel. The Rutland airport has a commuter plane to Boston as well.
With kids, you may want to stay closer to Rutland. Mendon, Rutland town, or even parts of Chittenden are not too far out. The reason I say this, is that while living out is great, trucking kids 20 miles every time they have a sporting event or activity gets old after awhile. Hockey is big in Rutland and the programs for kids are very well run.
Rutland has some warts as do all towns. Better than some worse than others. Have a visit and check it out!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,431 times
Quote:
How long have you been there?
I've lived in Rutland since 1996. I moved to Northern New England in 1988.

Quote:
How was your adjustment to the climate?
I had no adjustment, other than to appreciate Vermont's climate. I'm a Miami Beach native, but I never could bear hot and (especially) humid weather. In South Florida, even as a child, I was a shut-in, rarely leaving air conditioned cars and buildings.

Whereas I truly enjoy cold weather. I knew from a young age I was heading north and never returning to the south. Had I known New England summers would be as hot and humid as they are, I might have moved farther north/west.

Now, I know plenty of lifelong, native New Englanders who can't bear the cold. I recently spoke with a woman who lives in Sarasota. She is from New England, and by the time she was in her 40s, she was wearing fleece in August! She belongs in the south, and fortunately she was able to move. In Sarasota, I can hardly stand to go outside except on a very few unusually cool, dry days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont