Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 AM

22 posts, read 72,557 times

Advertisements

I will be in Rutland for a year starting next August. My questions are pretty basic.

Where are some cool places to live? Either in the city or right outside?

Any grocery stores suggestions?

How about fitness facilities?

Any good bar suggestions for watching a game?

I also love the outdoors and will definitely be taking all of that in, be it hiking, canoeing, or cross country skiing. I've never been downhill skiing, I'd love to take it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,288,805 times
Live - Rutland City itself is so-so, but there are some nice neighborhoods. The area by the Hospital seems nice, as up by the country club as well. Outlying towns would be another option - Rutland Town, Pittsford, Clarendon & Wallingford are nice. Mendon/Killington might be an option as well, but if you don't like mountain driving, especially in the winter, you may want to cross those towns of your list.
Grocery Stores - There is a Price Chopper, Grand Union & a Hannaford. My mother prefers Hannaford. There is a Stop & Shop that was built, but has not been occupied. At this point I wouldnt hold your breath for it to open.
Fitness...can't help there.
Bars....hmmmmm....Killington has a good nightlife scene during ski season. Other than that I'm not familiar with the bar scene in that area.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 AM

46 posts, read 220,803 times
You're going to be really close to Killington and Okemo, so you'll have opportunities there to learn to ski! I used to live north of Rutland, and always thought it was a bit hickish and dumpy- however, it does have some pretty and charming areas. I used to like Middlebury, and tried to go to Burlington for things rather than Rutland. There were folks who lived in the area who thought of Rutland as the "big city" and never went to Burlington! Crazy! There's a small mall, and over in another part of town is the Walmart, movie theater, and a grocery store in the same plaza. Some pockets of civilization here and there.
I've lived all over VT (and NE- but I'm a Vter) and have always felt that the Champlain Valley is one of the most beautiful parts of Vermont, but I prefer to live elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM

I heard there are some great cross country skiing trails around Rutland and the Green Mountains. That could be my fitness right there.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,988,410 times
Oooof.....thank goodness theres time for you to reconsider.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
I heard there are some great cross country skiing trails around Rutland and the Green Mountains. That could be my fitness right there.
Oh yes, lots of XC skiing. I have to recommend these folks, if they can teach uncoordinated and out-of-shape me to ski, anyone can LOL Mountain meadow cross country ski area (broken link)

Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 AM

Thanks karen_s. Does anyone have any favorite outdoor spots around Rutland for non-winter? Lakes, canoeing, hiking, etc?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:11 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,092 times
We visit the area as much as we can, although unfortunately we don't live there.

Here is where we got all our hiking information:
Green Mountain Club Home - Long Trail, Vermont, Hiking, Vermont Hiking

The Long Trail/Appalachian trail cross right through near Mendon and the hiking is great!

Our family has also kayaked on the lake/swam/hiked at some Vermont State Parks in the Rutland area, namely Emerald Lake, Camp Plymouth, and Coolidge
http://www.vtstateparks.com/

My older son loves the lift-assisted mountain biking available at Killington during the summer. It is absolutely awesome riding there - they have wide trails, lots of climbing if you want it, single track, you name it.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 220,803 times
Lake Dunmore in the Forestdale/Brandon area is nice, with swimming, camping, and great hiking. It's only 20ish minutes or so from Rutland, and after you've lived in the area a while and figured out backroads (get a street map of surrounding areas or a gps- it's the best way to learn a new area- or better yet, go yardsaling and you'll be a pro by the end of the day!) you can take the back way. It's a right hand turn at the gas station past Otter Valley. Pretty and easy. Warren Kimble, the artist lives over there and has a studio, and north of O.V. is Wood's Farmer's Market, which is nice. Brandon has been really fixed up in the last 7 years, and Middlebury has some nice things to do surrounding and attached to the college. There is the Middlebury Snow Bowl which is huge with snowboarders, and Robert Frost used to live up near there- I think it's Ripton? I could be wrong. The Lincoln area is gorgeous in the fall. There's lots to explore and you'll have plenty to keep you busy. Apple picking! Douglas Orchard in Shorham up Rt. 73.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 82,158 times
My husband just moved up to Rutland (and is living in a hotel until he finds a clean, cheap apt.) and the rest of the us are following as soon as our house sells. Brandon is a nice town, but it's about 20 minutes north of Rutland so you'll have to consider how far you want to drive (especially in the winter). Rutland is NOT the pit that some people say it is, but then again we're family-type people who don't need clubs and bars and such. We don't want to live in Rutland city, even though it's smallish, so we'll be looking for homes more out in the country. As another poster mentioned, Wallingford is a nice town. We're also looking into Castleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont