Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,795 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'v been reading info on Rutland with the prospect moving there in the next 6 months - I like a library, coffee shop, church, post office - all in town to walk to - how about the neighborhoods close in? Any advice would be welcomed! I'm in my 50's, single and won't be tied down by a job location - will be looking for a house around $300,000 - nothing too large.

Well, you can tell this is my first post ever - I'm rambling . . .

Thanks for the help -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Hi! I've lived in Rutland for 12 years. Search the word "Rutland" in this forum and you'll find plenty of entries.

I'd recommend visiting and getting a feel for the place. You could stay at a B&B like the Inn at Rutland or other types of lodging with kitchenette, etc. (When I travel, I like to make my own coffee & brekkie.)

Rutland certainly has everything you mentioned. Great library, decent and proliferating locally-owned coffee shops, plenty of churches of different types.

I live about a mile from the center of downtown and we walk to everything. For $300,000, you could choose from any number of houses & properties of varying sizes within walking distance of downtown. I live north and slightly east of downtown. There are many nice neighborhoods to live and still walk downtown, and a few I'd prefer to avoid. You just have to look at what might work for you.

Search houses in Rutland and Rutland Town, Vermont at www.trulia.com and www.greenmtnrealty.com (http://greenmtnrealty.com/ - broken link).

Moderator cut: Sorry, please us the Direct Message (DM) function to recommend specific realtors. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Spend a week in the city exploring first. Then rent for at least a year before you decide to purchase a home. Rutland may be just what you are looking or it may not, but you shouldn't make a hasty decision. I did and now I see so many other areas in VT where I would rather live.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Spend a week in the city exploring first. Then rent for at least a year before you decide to purchase a home. Rutland may be just what you are looking or it may not, but you shouldn't make a hasty decision. I did and now I see so many other areas in VT where I would rather live.

I think this is excellent advice. NYLIER, I'm sorry it worked out that way for you because relocating again is not my idea of a good time. :-( At least you're in Vermont and didn't pick an entirely wrong state -- or region. (Or did you?)

Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
No Sheryl, I love VT and will stay as long as I can. I do wish I was closer to shopping. Rutland is the closest city for me and I still have to figure on being gone most of the day. When the gas prices were over $2.00 a gallon, I had to add another $20.00 for gas into my budget just to go to the supermarket. If I were closer to a city, I would have gotten a part time job. I think a town like Hinesburg is perfect because you live in a beautiful rural town but still are minutes away from shopping. The school tax per student ratio (I'm not sure I worded that correctly) in Hinesburg is very high though. A few months ago when the gas prices were high, our cupboards were bare. We had to make sure we had enough money to feed our animals. We weren't starving ourselves, but we only bought necessities. With the gas prices lower our cupboards are full again.
For anyone that needs extra money, sell that broken jewelry. I gave my friend some gold to take back home and sell for me. She just mailed me a check $1300. I never thought I would get that much money for it. Every penny helps. It came at a perfect time because I had to take my dog to the vet.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
For anyone that needs extra money, sell that broken jewelry. I gave my friend some gold to take back home and sell for me. She just mailed me a check $1300. I never thought I would get that much money for it. Every penny helps. It came at a perfect time because I had to take my dog to the vet.

Wow. What a terrific idea. I'm glad you had something to sell and made it through that tough time. And you know I'm delighted by your care and concern for your furry family.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,592 times
I have lived in VT all my life and work in Rutland City. I live in a town west of the city. For a variety of reasons I would not live in the city, but I have plenty of friends who do. If find that many have been complaining of the increasing property taxes and water and sewage bills in recent years. I'm not sure how much of this is accurate. There are some beautiful homes in Rutland, but the closer you are to the city the "more" homes you find that have been converted into rentals. Even on the nice streets, there are homes converted into rentals. This has happened in the town I grew up in as well. There is poverty, but that exists in many cities and towns. There are some fun traditions that occur in Rutland including Art in the Park, the annual Halloween Parade, the annual Ethnic Festival, etc. There are churches and coffee shops....the walk between them differs....they are not found surrounding a "green" like in smaller towns. I agree that you should visit, rent and then decide on permanency. It may be what you are looking for, and maybe what you are looking for is just a shorts drive from this starting point. Good Luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
There are some beautiful homes in Rutland, but the closer you are to the city the "more" homes you find that have been converted into rentals. Even on the nice streets, there are homes converted into rentals.

This is true! At least three homes on my street (a very nice street, I think) have been converted into multi-apartment rentals. And that seems just fine. The renters are our neighbors just like the homeowners.

We've had a few questionable renters, but they tend to turn over faster than the seriously questionable homeowners, one of whom seems destined to stay forever.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 13,795 times
Default living in rutland

I appreciate the information everyone - I've just started researching areas - this is fun! Right now I'm in Georgia but still have a home in Rhode Island - and so when the snow melts (!) I'll come on up and take my time deciding what area I want to be in. My son (Keene resident) has suggested I might like Portsmouth NH - I've never been there so will look into it. I'll be excited to get back to the North - Atlanta was about 57 degrees today and felt way too warm. Thanks y'all -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont