Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM

150 posts, read 218,115 times

Advertisements

Bennington resident here. If I had a choice of where to live in VT, I'd look at the areas around Middlebury or Montpelier (though probably not Barre). I go to Rutland often for business and would never consider living there, although it does have a terrific recreation venue called Pinehill Park. The other poster have all covered the issues plaguing Rutland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Are you at Vermont Law School? I've always wanted to go there. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will check them out. We're still trying to figure out where we want to be, looking at Bennington, too. Thanks for your help. Have you been In Rutland long? Trying to figure out if Rutland when down hill slowly or if it was abrupt.

I moved there around the end of 2003. I felt it started going downhill around 2005 and by 2007 the neighborhood around State and Pine Sts and northward turned into a "ghetto" landscape. My family and I would take walks in the summer around NW School and the prison area. Was ok in the day but would never do at night. Even my block was quiet for a few years until the slumlords down the street rented to addicts and a few of them tried to break into my apartment on night at 2AM while we were home. I read the writing on the wall and got out soon after. There are better options in Rutland County. Castleton, Fair Haven and Poultney (West side of the county) might work out well if you don't mind the 14-20 mile commute each way to Rutland.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,560,670 times
You can't walk 50 feet in Pine Hill without crossing 1 or more trails. Way too many trails for 300 acres, and I've nearly been hit by bikers out there. Bikers took it over. They've used leaf blowers on the trails, eroding the soil away. To make up for that, they took a small excavator around and dug holes in random spots to get more dirt for the trails. They've made a mess of that place. It was nice when I first came down here, you could go there and really get away from everything, without more than a 15 minute walk through the woods. Not now.

It's funny, driving past the creek trail a couple weeks ago early in the morning on the way to go hunting, near the prison on State St., someone was standing there with a hockey mask on. Just standing there. Kind of strange. I shouldn't be in the Rutland area much longer. Pretty stunning how much worse things have gotten here in just a few years.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 PM

26,465 posts, read 46,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can't walk 50 feet in Pine Hill without crossing 1 or more trails. Way too many trails for 300 acres, and I've nearly been hit by bikers out there. Bikers took it over. They've used leaf blowers on the trails, eroding the soil away. To make up for that, they took a small excavator around and dug holes in random spots to get more dirt for the trails. They've made a mess of that place. It was nice when I first came down here, you could go there and really get away from everything, without more than a 15 minute walk through the woods. Not now.

It's funny, driving past the creek trail a couple weeks ago early in the morning on the way to go hunting, near the prison on State St., someone was standing there with a hockey mask on. Just standing there. Kind of strange. I shouldn't be in the Rutland area much longer. Pretty stunning how much worse things have gotten here in just a few years.

Hockey Mask? Is this a horror movie
I haven't been to Rutland in many years and it does sound that it has become a good bit worse.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,196,340 times
As a native from Houston, now living in the NEK....we moved here simply due to the internet accessibility and being able to "work from home". If indeed that is true for you can't you do it from the beaches of Hawaii...(same cost) Vermont will give you a harsh reality check. Things initially seem much cheaper than home, but look at your own individual picture... a luxury we didn't have back home. Property taxes offset with low wages can be a plus, lack of crime (sans Rutland) a plus, ......

Know your reality,not the reality you would like, first and foremost......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont