Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times

Advertisements

Just upgraded to a warning...calling for 8-14" by us...it's really coming down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
From Matt Noyes right now... Enjoy guys. nice to hear and see high totals again

https://www.facebook.com/MattNoyesFanPage

"One of the hardest events in New England...upslope snow accumulations along the west slopes of the Green Mountains of Vermont. Sometimes you nail it, sometimes it catches you by surprise. Just got a report of 7"+ at Smugglers Notch since last night, still coming down - National Weather Service just issued a Winter Storm Warning til 4pm Thu for 8-14" in the high terrain from Newport to Stowe, Montpelier, Underhill and Bristol. The radar beam cuts off in the Green Mountains, but gives the idea of the snow falling furiously in VT:"

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
I don't usually watch NECN because they are so southern New England-centric but I do really like Matt Noyes. He's usually spot on when talking about weather up here.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
When I shoveled my driveway around 5 this afternoon the snow depth was around 5". Tonight at 9-ish there was an additional 6 and still coming down. Wonderful powder! Where did it come from though? NWS had called for snow showers 2-3" daytime and 1-2" overnight.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I don't usually watch NECN because they are so southern New England-centric but I do really like Matt Noyes. He's usually spot on when talking about weather up here.
I agree too. I dont use or watch NECN but I like Matt. I also realize how hard it is to forecast an entire region as opposed to being focused on a specific location. There's so much you have to look at and so time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
When I shoveled my driveway around 5 this afternoon the snow depth was around 5". Tonight at 9-ish there was an additional 6 and still coming down. Wonderful powder! Where did it come from though? NWS had called for snow showers 2-3" daytime and 1-2" overnight.
Sweet... yeah if you look at the surface map there's no Low pressure. Its no Lake effects either. Its basically an upper level trough. (a low pressure up above instead of surface) .. Upslope effect has a lot to do with it too.

Good technicals with BTV I'll post the entire paragraph:

AS OF 633 AM EST THURSDAY...WINTER STORM WARNINGS CONTINUE UNTIL 400 PM FOR THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS AND THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF WASHINGTON...LAMOILLE...AND ORLEANS COUNTIES. SNOW REPORTS FROM YESTERDAY INDICATE ANYWHERE FROM 4 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW HAS FALLEN IN THE WARNING AREA AND UPSLOPE CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE FOR MUCH OF THE DAY. WINDS WERE WEST-NORTHWEST LAST NIGHT AND HIGH FROUDE NUMBERS INDICATING UNBLOCKED FLOW HELPED PRODUCE HEAVY SNOW OVER THE ENTIRE WARNING AREA...BUT THIS MORNING WE ARE NOW SEEING LOW LEVEL FLOW BECOMING MORE NORTHWEST AND WITH THE FROUDE NUMBER DROPPING BELOW ONE...THE FLOW WILL BECOME BLOCKED AND WE WILL SEE MORE ACCUMULATING SNOWS ON THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. AS A RESULT...HAVE TWEAKED SNOW TOTALS TO INDICATE A GENERAL 8 TO 16 INCHES OF SNOW OVER THE WARNING AREA...BUT 10 TO 20 INCHES ALONG THE WEST SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. THE SNOW WILL REMAIN ON THE FLUFFY SIDE...THUS LEADING TO THE HIGH SNOW TOTALS. OTHERWISE...LOOKING AT A GENERAL 1 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE NORTH COUNTRY WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SNOW DOWN ACROSS RUTLAND AND WINDSOR COUNTIES.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Posting this here to to give you guys a heads up.. stay off the roads after 6pm Saturday if you're east of the Appalacians!

Latest NAM snow depth to Sunday mid morning.

NAM "usually" overdoes precip amounts but got it right for the blizzard and we just dont know until its happening. but the gist of it is here. Snow should start Saturday evening

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,815 times
Well I'm glad someone got some decent snow. We got 2" at the cabin and 3.5" at 3000' up the mountain from us.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Its very nice to see BTV add southern Vermont. i wish all NWS offices would do that when storm time comes. For instance, bottom half of CT is with Upton NWS NY. North Central and Eastern CT is with Boston. and NWCT is with Albany. lol

Looks like 7-10" will be common north of CT/MA border into southern VT and NH and ME

Good timing since the bulk will fall Sat night into Sunday morning. So Heads up after Lunch Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalW...Burlington.gov

Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,815 times
Looks like a strong dusting in the NEK.......oh well

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Jay Peak Snowfall

Wow! I didnt know Jay peak at 3766 elevation got over 250 inches of snow this year so far. Thats almost 21 feet & more this weekend and 2 more months to go... Yearly Average is 376"... Good year for Ski industry.

Snowfall Charts | Jay Peak Resort

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont