Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,023,260 times

Advertisements

Does a city's skyline really matter. I mean if a city has all the amenities, rich culture, and a great quality of life who cares how tall the buildings are right? What do all poster on this forum think? I personally don't really care i mean they are just buildings after all. To me there more like a bonus but they do not define a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,600,177 times
While they are very nice to look at, you are right. It's really like an ego thing, it seems. I have to admit, though, that I have been guilty of the whole bigger and taller=better.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,796,176 times
I very much disagree. At least to me skylines are very important. I love skyscrapers, and cities feel much more urban with a lot of high rises.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I very much disagree. At least to me skylines are very important. I love skyscrapers, and cities feel much more urban with a lot of high rises.
So what about D.C.?

Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM

146 posts, read 691,818 times
It depends on the city. Skyscrapers can add a huge level of drama and excitement to a city's streetscape. For example, New York and Chicago both have a lot going for them besides tall buildings, but can you imagine either city without their skylines?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,523,862 times
Skylines are a city's centerpiece, they are the first glimpse you get of a city. Just like a star on the top of a Christmas tree.

And most people who are here like skyscrapers, they are architecturual masterpieces and modern marvels.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,395,409 times
It matters 100%. That's why London is such an awful place: the skyline!

Yeah, I'm joking.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM

8,059 posts, read 12,366,497 times
A city's vertical horizon is highly important for a number of reasons. It defines the city's core, and gives the place a reputation of having a bustling, productive, successful business enterprise. Highrises also help curb urban/suburban sprawl. Think about all the open land which could be preserved if more skyscrapers were constructed for living AND business purposes. More people could live within walking distance of their workplace, and not be clogging the streets/freeways with their polluting vehicles. Sure would save on the commute times, and relieve stress for that matter.

Besides, if a vertical skyline wasn't important, then all the major U.S. & world cities would look like Bakersfield, California! Who wants that??? Even the city where I live (Phoenix) has been reluctant to build upward until recently. Guess they finally realized that we can't sprawl outward forever!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,305,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
While they are very nice to look at, you are right. It's really like an ego thing, it seems. I have to admit, though, that I have been guilty of the whole bigger and taller=better.
I agree, I too am responsible for having an ego with Dallas' skyline. It shows the cities wealth, but beside that is useless. It may conserve space for crowded place like Hong Kong and Shanghai. Skyscrapers are a MUST for some cities, but that being said. many Cities that aren't on a little island or cornered against a lake or ocean could probably due without skyscrapers, and even then some. If LA didn't have a skyline, it probably wouldn't be a whole lot different.
A skyline is nice to look at, a source of pride and an Icon for a city, that just about it. They serve a use though. IF you people were to ever go to Shanghai you would know the meaning of skyline. That little cluster of buildings that Seattle, NY, Chicago, and Miami have is nothing...and those cities are considered to have some of the largest skylines. That little Picture of the Shanghai skyline you see when you go to Google is not but a fraction of the skyline. Those are the most impressive buildings, it 'Pu Xi' is where its at, 'Pu Dong' is what you see when you look at google. Pu Xi is littered with skyscrapers, you get sick of it. Its not even a treat to see a nice building (which they're some pretty cool ones). oh god the second you leave the airport 'BOOM' all high rises. Cities that have little to no room to grow need high rises.

Last edited by JMT; 07-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: North American cities only

Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,052,129 times
Should a city's skyline matter? Not really, no.

Does it matter? Absolutely. Fair or not, cities are judged by their skylines. And, it kinda makes sense because no two skylines are the same and also because of what skylines represent.

Go type in any random city on Google Images and half of the hits will be of its skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning