Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
San Diego (?Has many building but no height)
This is a good example of the smaller skyline being part of the city's characteristics... thus being important... in SD, there's the cap on building height due to the airports... just as there is the limit in DC for the Washington Monument, so how a city copes with it's growing needs and still forms to limits (be them geographical, imposed ordinances, etc) shows a snapshot of the city's character. So to me, this means: is a city's skyline important? Yes, in that it shows what a city stands for/deals with. But must it be tall? No.

San Francisco, although it has a small skyline (the bridges, although in many shots of the city, don't count), wouldn't be SF with a skyscraper dominated skyline, since SF is known to be the European city in America. A small bunch of moderately tall buildings make up the Financial District, but outside of it, they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
This is a good example of the smaller skyline being part of the city's characteristics... thus being important... in SD, there's the cap on building height due to the airports... just as there is the limit in DC for the Washington Monument, so how a city copes with it's growing needs and still forms to limits (be them geographical, imposed ordinances, etc) shows a snapshot of the city's character. So to me, this means: is a city's skyline important? Yes, in that it shows what a city stands for/deals with. But must it be tall? No.

San Francisco, although it has a small skyline (the bridges, although in many shots of the city, don't count), wouldn't be SF with a skyscraper dominated skyline, since SF is known to be the European city in America. A small bunch of moderately tall buildings make up the Financial District, but outside of it, they don't exist.
When your city gets an earth shake here and there, trying to build the worlds tallest sky scrapper doesnt seem like the most sound idea.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
This is a good example of the smaller skyline being part of the city's characteristics... thus being important... in SD, there's the cap on building height due to the airports... just as there is the limit in DC for the Washington Monument, so how a city copes with it's growing needs
The limit is to the capitol building

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
here are some pics of shanghai, you will notice there are some break in the skyline, but its really all just a continuous flow of short and tall skyscrapers. its really Disgusting in my opinion, the city is polluted its alway raining. and what makes me want to puke is the price for an apartment. My god this place makes NEern US and SoCal seem like Heaven.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/ShanghaiSkyscape_pmorgan.jpg (broken link)
I agree, heres what it looks like, but with no photoshop. the only part of the skyline that looks good is the podong area, if you are familar with that

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee190/poptartscrunch/shanghai-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-05-2007, 11:37 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Washington D.C. is just an office park. I saddened that the architecture looked better on T.V. and pictures than in real life and that it is a city built for carriages (car-friendly city). My feet are still hurting!

It's a livable city if one can stand the country club atmosphere.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:39 AM

^ you have no idea what you're talking about,(this coming from a native's point of view)

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM

74 posts, read 318,293 times
Shanghai freaks me out. I would become claustrophobic just driving through it. Talk about out of control development.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, their downtowns are nice for what they are, but theyre incomparable to Chicago's in many ways. A few tall buildings dont make a great downtown like some people tend to think. And I also said that a downtown isnt everything, but its definitely what alot of people love in a big-urban experience. Ive been downtown Houston and Dallas (twice in the big D), wasnt overly impressed. Theyre great cities, dont get me wrong, but I did indeed find their downtowns lacking. While I could probably see all there is to see in downtown Houston in one day, thats impossible in places like NYC and Chicago. Ive been downtown Chicago more times than I care to count and I STILL find new places that Ive never seen before, I STILL find new restaurants and art galleries to this day, and Ive been living in the area for almost 30 years. THATS how downtown Dallas and Houston differ from downtown NYC and Chicago.
Well, you've stated the obvious. Especially considering the fact that Houston and Dallas' boom is much much younger than Chicago's and New York's. And as I've said before, I indeed do not place CHI on the same tier as NY. I personally feel that NY's city life is light years beyond all cities in the U.S.

Still, if the right choices are made, both HOU and DAL have more than enough room for improvement (some of the areas surrounding their dt's are practically worthless). Who knows? Within the next 50 or 60 years, either city could be another town with an extraordinary CBD.

Half of me wonders if that will be the case, though. Because at the end of the day, this is the South, and downtowns aren't a big deal down here.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Downtowns might not mean much to some in the south which to me is a crying shame but at least downtown Dallas and Houston are starting to build up their downtowns. Soaring skyscrapers mean nothing if its all deadsville.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 AM

646 posts, read 813,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i know, but a monument can be in a skyline! and a skyline is just buildings that touch the sky and the washington monument does just that!

absolutely. Just like this one. In fact as someone else said a monument like DC's obelisk is often all a city needs to be recognized or famous to know what city it is. There's the Colisseum in Rome. However, like Paris, Rome has a section where all the scrapers and more modern office buildings are concentrated, the EUR. But it's the Colisseum used as an icon like Lady Liberty above. The Washington Monument does that for DC. The Eiffel Tower sure does that for Paris and before Big Ben did it for London, perhaps still does.

Here's a few on the South tip of Rome.
EUR

EUR (Esposizione Universale Roma), Rome, Lazio, Italy

So I see what you're saying, sometimes a city's signature or icon doesn't have to be a building, just a monument or one in the same. The Statue of Liberty like the Washington Monument are Landmarks.

What Landmark would Chicago have? I think of or used to of John Hancock Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning