Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,503,814 times

Advertisements

My God, those are beautiful. +1 rep for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

86 posts, read 307,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Does a city's skyline really matter. I mean if a city has all the amenities, rich culture, and a great quality of life who cares how tall the buildings are right? What do all poster on this forum think? I personally don't really care i mean they are just buildings after all. To me there more like a bonus but they do not define a city.

Size doesn't matter.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Sure. They have skylines to one extent or another. Still, they are largely irrelevant. If Paris or London were in the US, they'd be on either side of Chicago in terms of metro population (with Paris at almost 10 million and London at 8.5). For cities that size in a region in which urban planning is more traditional and centralized and sprawl isn't nearly as common, you might expect larger or more impressive skylines to occur.

They don't need 'em, though. That's not what the cities are known for. Dubai might need a spate of skyscrapers to be globally notable. The aforementioned cities do not.

In short, skylines are something, but certainly not everything.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post

Paris
I believe that area is La Défense, which is not in the city of Paris. Rather, adjacent to it. It's practically a big office park.

Quote:
Milan

DC

and yes, this IS a skyline - there are buildings touching the sky (and you can go into the wash monument)
If you want to get technical. Still, do either of those three cities have a real skyline of their own? With a count larger than four buildings in their core? No.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
^ those are the core though, and just because it isn't big doesn't mean it isnt a skyline

and yes, La Defense is not actually in the city, but next to it, the tallest building actually IN paris, excluding that effil tower, is 210 meters

Old 12-02-2007, 06:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ those are the core though, and just because it isn't big doesn't mean it isnt a skyline

and yes, La Defense is not actually in the city, but next to it, the tallest building actually IN paris, excluding that effil tower, is 210 meters
But you understand what I was trying to say, though right? Of all those cities that I mentioned, they are still loved and respected without having large and tall downtowns.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
You only need two points to make a line. Seems to me that if you have at least two buildings touching the sky, you have a skyline. All points of a skyline are beautiful to me--the lower buildings, the domed buildings, and the church spires are just as lovely as the tall columns.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
^ Of corse,mpope, i understand! Paris, DC, Milan, and London would all lose their touch if they were overrun by skyscrapers, and i want to keep it that way, with the exception of certain areas

Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,817 times
[quote=toughguy;2143982]This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you are a San Antonio cheerleader, and San Antonio doesn't have a skyline to speak of, right?

Large and important US cities with out skyscrapers.
Washington D.C.
Phoenix
San Antonio
San Diego (?Has many building but no height)
New Orleans
Orlando

San Antonio cheerleader ahh maybe. But that because i love the city i live in so why not. As for our skyline it old, still has the second tallest needle in the US. Has 12 projects over 200 feet planned and in construction. So yea its short but i bet if you put it on a photo on a post card most people know what there looking at.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
"i bet if you put it on a photo on a post card most people know what there looking at."

That's what I look for when rating a skyline. IMO, the best skylines are the ones people recognize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning